Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tiger Valley was interested in running a one day three gun match the weekend of October 27-28. I've looked and don't see any conflicts. If you guys know of any please let me know.

Cccshooters has a match that you can shoot either Saturday or Sunday down in college station that weekend.

I will try & shoot both that weekend if we can get more details & a heads up.

I would consider attending if the safety rules are tightened up from the last TV match I attended several years ago. I saw one guy show up at the make ready line with a loaded and chambered 870 that he had carried through a crowd of people muzzling everyones legs. I saw Several shooters unholstering pistols behind the line to show them off to each other. Finally, I was walking behind a parked truck at one of the stage bays and saw a guy sighting through his scope and through the vehicle glass at me. When I told a couple of the RO's about this behavior the laughed it off like it was common practice. One of them RO'ed a rifle and pistol stage with steel targets with no eye or ear protection.

I like the facility and thought it had a lot of potential but the safety was too lax for me. I'm not trying to crap on the match as much as wanting the safety standards brought up so we can have another venue to hold a multi gun match that everyone can enjoy and want to return to in the future. If you need any questions answered to help make the match happen I am always willing to assist when I can.

I would consider attending if the safety rules are tightened up from the last TV match I attended several years ago. <snip>

I also attended that match.

I feel great discomfort when guns get pointed at me...

Should I be worried about TV?

There were a number of shooters who considered themselves "tactical" and would not pay attention to common safety conventions, and I do not mean match rules which get you DQ'ed, but behaviors which most of us here consider beyond rude and would get you a severe "talking to" at a police or military range.

At the time there were few 3-gun venues and there are more now, at least in central or south Texas, so we have choices. TJ has a great facility. If the safety concerns are addressed, it will be a good match. Not sure he still has the remote paint-ball gun, but it is interesting when the target shoots back. :surprise:

TJ, not sure I am available, but you might work out a "volunteer" thing or "work for brass" or whatever, and get match staff who have done this before.

This match will be a small club match run with USPSA Multi-gun rules. It will be a one day event with 8 stages and no prize table. Squads will RO the stages them selves. You are more then welcome to make up your own squads. Check in will be at 7am, match starting promptly at 8am. We will have 3 Ro's working support for stages that are complicated.

Some of the stages you can expect are:Trunk monkey ( shooting from a moving vehicle with shotgun ) room clearing ( pistol/shotgun mechanical door breaching ) Aircraft assault ( pistol/rifle ) Black hawk down ( shooting from a moving U1H Huey) chaos drill ( runners, bobbers, walkers and stop and go targets ) hogans alley ( ten building facades 140 yards of movement 30 targets ) to name a few.

As to the safety concerns posted. The reason we removed ourselves from the 3-gun venue was because of the booger eaters that we had showing up that were unsafe and down right dangerous. We also lacked the numbers of trained RO's to run a match and take control of bad situations promptly. enough said

We plan on moving in the direction of the club type match where the squad RO's them selves, someone violates safety rules and you contact me and they are gone.

This match will be run cold. No loaded weapons off the line. Anyone found with a loaded weapon will be removed from the range......

Match date is the 28th cost is $75.00

Edited by maduce

Damnit TJ, that is the same weekend as the Gator/Area 4 match. I will volunteer to be a squad RO on the next one you have.

Thanks for putting this together and giving us another great venue to play in.

The stages sound like an absolute blast and I really like the club match, self-ROing, concept. However, and maybe I'm just a cheap bastard, $75 seems an awfully steep fee for a one-day club match with no prize table. By comparison, most one-day club matches in the local (CENTEX) area are $30-$40.

A few of the things Tiger Valley has to offer. 9 tactical bays that are 50 yards deep and 50 yards wide, with one that is 140 yards deep, a 60 foot tower, Huey, 140 yards of Hogans Alley, Shoot house, Shoot back paint ball system, Obstacle course, Larue targets, shotgun breaching doors, two story snipers hide building, 27 position 1000 yard KD range with pit service, 1500 yard UKD with reactionary steel.

Tiger Valley is a State Department approved 220 acre training facility, we are not a gun range. The vast majority of Tiger Valley's time is with contractors going to the sand pit as snipers, 225 days worth last year. Most of those attending State Department training are Military Tier One operators, the feed back from these warriors helped design much of the equipment we have on site. Tiger Valley ran 36 classes on site last year, not counting State Department and 20 off site. Unlike CENTEX, we are a for profit business which must cover expenses. If CENTEX stages involve moving through 140 yards of building facades engaging targets or driving over a half mile shooting at Larue targets from the back of a moving vehicle, I could understand, but I don't think they do. CENTEX is a great facility for a public range, but you are comparing apples to oranges. If $75.00 is to much for a day of shooting under these type of condition I fully understand. T.J.

By CENTEX, I'm sure Doug just means central Texas (ie Austin) ranges and clubs. Any business must cover expenses....even the nonprofit ones or they won't be around long!

Yep - by CENTEX, I was referring to matches, in general, throughout Central Texas.

I've been to Tiger Valley and it's a fantastic facility, no doubt about it. I'm simply stating that most other one-day, non-prize table, matches in the same geographic area run about $30-$40. As far as comparing apples to oranges, at the end of the day it's really just another 3-gun match, albeit a cool sounding one. And yes, I've shot other local matches in the CENTEX area where a 150 yard run in a single COF is not uncommon.

I truly hope the match is a huge success, just providing perspective as to why some may think twice about attending. I also hope the safety challenges presented by the booger-eater element, as TJ called them, have been solved. Last time I shot a match there, I was swept three times that I know of.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter