Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup and 45ACP, good starting point?

xracer

I've been reloading 9mm with my cousin for quite a few years but I've recently got a press myself and am looking for load data for 230gr 45acp. I'm using Powerbond bullets (Look and feel like a pretty high quality bullet), Winchester Large pistol Primers and Titegroup powder, this is what I have on hand now and want to use it up before trying anything else. What would a good starting point be as far as grains of Titegroup and OAL? I checked the Sammi OAL range and now have the seating die set dead in the middle. The Powerbond bullets are plated but it is a little heavier plate than say Rainier, it is supposed to be .011" insted of .004". Any info is appreciated, I've got a thousant to load up and want to get started.

X

Edited by xracer

you don't mention what pistol you are using.

however in my glock 21SF i use 230gr.berry's plated

over 4.5 gr titegroup for a avg vel of 747 fps

win cases and WLP primers

with a OAL of 1.260 +-.003

Thanks, I will be using an M&P 45 FS.

I've been reloading 9mm with my cousin for quite a few years but I've recently got a press myself and am looking for load data for 230gr 45acp. I'm using Powerbond bullets (Look and feel like a pretty high quality bullet), Winchester Large pistol Primers and Titegroup powder, this is what I have on hand now and want to use it up before trying anything else. What would a good starting point be as far as grains of Titegroup and OAL? I checked the Sammi OAL range and now have the seating die set dead in the middle. The Powerbond bullets are plated but it is a little heavier plate than say Rainier, it is supposed to be .011" insted of .004". Any info is appreciated, I've got a thousant to load up and want to get started.

X

I Have bee nusing 4.3 grains of Titegroup with the Powerbond bullets and Federal primers.

X

I Have bee nusing 4.3 grains of Titegroup with the Powerbond bullets and Federal primers.

What OAL are you setting them to?

• 4 weeks later...

I've used 4.4 grains at 1.23 OAL out of my old M&P 45 and had great results but ultimately changed to 3.8 grains of Clays due to me using lead and

Titegroup + Lead = smoke screen. Good for the Ninja disappearing act, not so good for seeing where your shooting. If your bonded bullets have an exposed lead base you'll see what i mean. Not unbearable but was but got old for me.

Hodgdon suggests you start at 4.4gr. Pick up a pound of Clays next time you are out and try it too.

Shoot your title group up, then get clays, safe bet to pickup 8lbs. Penn bullets 230gn lrnbb over 3.9-4.0 clays at 1.250 is scarry accurate, moderate recoil, and easy major in my Trojan.

• 2 months later...

I reload several different calibers and have used Titegroup in 9mm with some success but find it a little snappy and dirty. I have used Clays in 45 and 38 Special for over two years now. It is very clean and soft shooting. I also did a test in the dark using Bayou coated bullets comparing Clays and VitaViouri N320 powders. Using a flashlight to check smoke levels, I found Clays to be every bit as clean burning as VV N320. I just Clays worked well for 9mm.

Paul