Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket 5.25" XDm Competition complete upper?

JGus

I think it would be easy to move 250 of them.

Depending on barrel cost I'd have to agree.

At $450 to $500 retail for a complete top end there won't be that many willing to buy, it would probably take 2 years to break even.

Rich

At this point in time to have slides made plus the cost of a barrel and the other small parts you are 3/4 of the way there to buy a complete new gun. The last time I priced out slides to be made, to keep the slide below a $300 price point I would've to have 250 made. The demand for after market slides aren't great enough to risk that amount of money, it would take several years to recoup the cost.

Rich

Yeah, that's a good point about the amount of risk an aftermarket company would have to take if they were to make the slides and/or a complete upper. And if anyone would know, it would be you.

The only company that could make them cost effectively would be Spfld Armory, and we know that won't happen anytime soon.

By the way, if I ever do get a 5.25" XDm40 I'll be sending it you for some custom work. I do, however, have an EAA Witness Elite Match that I keep meaning to send off to you for some custom work. I live in the Springfield area so I might even just drop it by the next time I'm up in that area, which I get to on occasion. My neighbor across the street has an XDm40 5.25" he also wants you to customize. Maybe we will both just road trip up someday to drop them off. Streator is only about an hour and a half away from us.

It is very simple to get a complete top end, buy another gun. You can sell off the lower or keep it for a back up lower. You can make the lower for Limited with a mag well or the other way around for Production.

Rich

Although it is currently the only way to do this, for many of us the outlay of over $1500 for two guns is hard to justify to a wife and perhaps oneself. I remember back to the days when I owned a couple of Dan Wesson 357's with the multiple barrels that came in a nice attache' case sized carrying case. I wish I still had those. Then there were the 1911's I built that would handle more than one caliber. I still have one of those that will shoot 9mm, 38 Super, and 9X23, but of course you have to have 3 barrels and barrel bushings as well.

So what I am thinking is that if Springfield offered a "Competition Kit" that included a lower with decent trigger, a 40 upper and a 9mm upper and about 3 each magazines for both calibers along with the holster and mag pouch they could package that all up in one of their little cases and sell it for about $999 or so and find a lot of eager buyers.

Hey... It could happen!

Edited by Justsomeguy

I decided to purchase one of the conversion barrels from Storm Lake, and added a lighter spring to go to 16 lbs to convert from .40 to 9MM on my 5.25 XDM. Funny thing, one should pay attention to the barrel length ordered. So, my well thought out solution was to go out and buy the gun that fits the conversion barrel.??????? In response to pistols flying off the shelves here, I managed to persuade myself to follow this course of action, plus I was then forced to buy the .357 SIG conversion barrel also, in 4.6 inch. Seemed perfectly logical to me anyway.

That in turn necessitated another purchase of .357 SIG dies, brass, and of course new mags which are becoming rare also. The barrels fit like they were made for the upper, and according to the manufacturer, you need to purchase the conversion, not the replacement caliber barrels. If I only had two minutes to now go shoot the new system.

I now have another mandatory buy coming, diamond earrings for the wife to restore balance in a shooters world, which I'm sure most here have experienced.

Mont1120:

Does Storm Lake, or anyone for that matter, make a 9mm conversion barrel for the XDm40 5.25"? I've got a 9mm Storm Lake conversion barrel for my XDm40 4.5", but I didn't think anyone was making them for the 5.25"?

Edited by JGus

It is very simple to get a complete top end, buy another gun. You can sell off the lower or keep it for a back up lower. You can make the lower for Limited with a mag well or the other way around for Production.

Rich

This was the solution I came up with as well. Bought a 5.25 in 9mm first, then found a great deal on a xdm in 40. Both got great identical trigger replacements, one frame got a mag well and a Ti guide rod. Now I can switch back and forth between the two guns depending what I want to shoot (idpa, USPSA or 3G) and still stay within the rules and make major when needed.

So are there no ejection problems when you put the 9mm upper on the 40cal lower? I worry that the 40cal ejector won't hit the 9mm brass properly...

Rich

This was the solution I came up with as well. Bought a 5.25 in 9mm first, then found a great deal on a xdm in 40. Both got great identical trigger replacements, one frame got a mag well and a Ti guide rod. Now I can switch back and forth between the two guns depending what I want to shoot (idpa, USPSA or 3G) and still stay within the rules and make major when needed.

So are there no ejection problems when you put the 9mm upper on the 40cal lower? I worry that the 40cal ejector won't hit the 9mm brass properly...

I've never had an ejector issue when I swap out my .40s&w barrel on my XDm40 4.5" for the Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel. Of course I also switch to 9mm mags that also work perfect in the XDm40.

Last Saturday I ran 50 rounds using the 9MM conversion and had no problems with ejection, and I did not change the recoil spring. You do need 9MM mags to feed properly. I did see my zero move right, but that could be the loads, or aging eyes. Next project is the .357 SIG conversion that came in. The more I research the round the more I like it.