Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Longmire - 1911 Condition 2 Carry

We are near the end of the season for A&E's "Longmire". A new series about a Wyoming Sheriff in a county that has more crime than a Chicago suburb.

Not a great show, but a decent way to kill an hour on a Sunday evening.

Has anyone other than me noticed he carries his 1911 in Condition 2 (round in chamber, hammer down)? I realize that the old safety concerns about this type of carry has fallen to the wayside with the advent of firing pin blocks (Series 80), but does anyone, especially LEO, still carry this way?

Just curious.

Bill

We are near the end of the season for A&E's "Longmire". A new series about a Wyoming Sheriff in a county that has more crime than a Chicago suburb.

Not a great show, but a decent way to kill an hour on a Sunday evening.

Has anyone other than me noticed he carries his 1911 in Condition 2 (round in chamber, hammer down)? I realize that the old safety concerns about this type of carry has fallen to the wayside with the advent of firing pin blocks (Series 80), but does anyone, especially LEO, still carry this way?

Just curious.

Bill

Does he thumb the hammer on the draw?

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed the Condition 2 carry, and it bothers me. I wince when I see it. I was taught that even when a 1911 pistol has a firing pin block (for instance, Series 80 parts), it is still carried only in Condition 1 or Condition 3. To see otherwise is to witness improper gun handling. Of course, I am accustomed to seeing improper gun handling in movies and TV shows, but it does not make it any easier to watch.

As to the quality of the show as a mystery or crime drama, as a person on another forum put it, Longmire is Murder She Wrote with big hats. It is standard fare for a TV whodunit.

Edited by Trevor

No one I know carries a 1911 in Condition #2, but I haven't seen to many in LE using a 1911 for the past decade. When my local city police use to let their officers carry whatever they wanted I only saw one Stg. carry in Condition #2. As for the show itself I can't believe it's been renewed for a second season. :sick:

• 2 weeks later...

Craig Johnson's Longmire novels are way better than the tv series.

Much more gun knowledge and far more humor.

The crime takes a back seat to the characters and dialogue.

The camaraderie between Longmire and Henry, his Cheyenne pal, is stronger and more entertaining.

More like Robert Parker's Spencer and Hawk.

And, yes, Longmire does carry his .45 hammer down in the books, too.

Edited by g.willikers

Condition 2 used to be real popular. Nobody used to want a cocked gun pointed at themselves safety or not. In condition 2 on an Series 70 colt the gun will only AD if dropped muzzle first, and then only on concrete. The Detonics combat masters were made with a notch on the back of slide for thumb cocking at request of a Federal Agency.

I personally know people who carried condition 2 for their entire 30+ year careers without any ADs.

No one I know carries a 1911 in Condition #2, but I haven't seen to many in LE using a 1911 for the past decade. When my local city police use to let their officers carry whatever they wanted I only saw one Stg. carry in Condition #2. As for the show itself I can't believe it's been renewed for a second season. :sick:

I like it and as current TV shows go I think its very entertaining. :sight: