Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus 990 or 94 opinions

e-mishka

Im interested in good .22 lr revolver i stumbled upon Taurus models in the gun shop.

They fit my hand very well and price is good for me.

Even though I would love to get S&W 617, but is out of my price range.

What do you guys think about them?

The biggest shop near me stopped selling Taurus guns, due to quality issues. If you can't afford a new S&W .22lr revover, go look for a used S&W or a used Ruger SP101. You'll probably have an easier time finding a used S&W revolver than an SP101 in .22lr.

The Ruger SP101 is a very quality piece of gear. Look around, get the best price new (you might find some used, but maybe not... most of these guns get kept) and you will have a fine .22 revolver. The new 4 inch 8 shot is SWEET!

i've tried ruger in the store, grip is too small for me, i like a bigger grip of s&w or taurus

Revolver grips are easy to change. Most experienced, upper level, competitive revolver shooters (ICORE, IDPA, USPSA) automatically assume that they are going to have to change the grips on the revo to something that fits their hand. It's not hard to do. As long as the gun is solid and accurate, the grip work is a minor thing.

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you are looking for a good paper weight then the Taurus 94 would be a good idea.

While the price is fairly good, the quality is terrible. I bought one for the wife, and she won't use it anymore because the trigger is terrible. It is harder to do a good trigger job on a .22, I do believe that the S&W 617 is a better product for the money. Save up a little more money before you make the buy, you won't regret it.

If the budget is an issue, locate an old 9-shot High Standard Sentinel. I shot one for years in steel matches before I got my 617. They are actually very good guns, and you can find them around $200-250., sometimes less.

• 3 weeks later...

My first revolver was a 6 inch 617 10 shot. When it comes to deciding how many rounds just ask yourself : do I want to practice shooting or practice reloading? The DS-10 speed loaders and loading blocks are inexpensive and highly recommended. I shoot revolvers in NRA PPC as well as USPSA/IPSC. My PPC revolver is a totally tricked out 686 with a 6 inch bull barrel. My IPSC revolver is a model 610 with a six and half inch barrel. Every time I go to the range for practice I will put down 200- 250 rounds 22lr in the 617. I will then shoot between 100 and 150 rounds of the competition revolver of choice for that evening. Meanwhile in the booth beside me my wife is banging away on her 5 inch 627 PC eight shot. If I am not using the 617 then she is. You may wish to consider that a longer sight radius of 6 inches will give you more precision than a shorter barrel of 4 inches. The 617 is also the gun my kids learned to shoot with. I shoot more bullets with my 617 than any of my other revolvers and pistols. It is extremely accurate, 100% reliable and has a butter smooth trigger. I highly recommend the 617 10 shot.

1343406866[/url]' post='1750569']

Im interested in good .22 lr revolver i stumbled upon Taurus models in the gun shop.

They fit my hand very well and price is good for me.

Even though I would love to get S&W 617, but is out of my price range.

What do you guys think about them?

Mishka

As others have indicated, there is a world of difference between a Taurus and a Ruger or Smith. I once owned a fair Taurus Model 96, but I think that was just dumb luck. It did not take long before it started having problems.

If you want one, by all means, buy the Taurus. Do so knowing you will spend more time, effort, and money keeping it running. Warranty is fine, unless using it keeps you from shooting. I have owned Taurus in the past but will not buy another. There are some good inexpensive guns out there, but Taurus is not one of them in my experience. Just for context, I have owned bailkal shotguns with good luck, and same for some Stoeger coach guns. They are inexpensive cowboy action guns that are pretty reliable, though not 100%.

As others have said, you will probably be money ahead to save up for a usd Smith or Ruger. If grips are the only thing keeping you from the Ruger, do not fret most revolver shooters have a box full if grips (and holsters) trying to get something they like. It's an inexpensive quest, just a part of the hobby. Bono and grip tape can yield a very customized grip.

I think you will be much happier I you save a little longer to buy a quality revolver. I spent a great deal of money and frustration learning that lesson. Wait and get what you really want. There are few cheap substitutes.

Car money's recommendation on the high standard is a good one. I am on a continuous hunt for one of those. I shot one quite a bit as a kid and wish I would have bought it.

You might also consider a Ruger Single Six or Single Ten. I have had a single six for many years of good service. It's just a plain blue steel model that didn't cost me an ATM and a leg so I don't mind using it.

Getting a Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark II auto loader is also an affordable option. Much better pistols for about the same money. Of course, if you're set on a wheel gun, those just won't do.

Hope this helps your decision process. Decide what you want then make a plan to resource the decision.

-john