Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What can we do to make USPSA grow?

Bunchies95

I have read some great ideas on here and was glad to see this thread up and going again. There was something that I never did see mentioned but I thought might help out with attendance, cost, and commitment. How about teams? I know it sound complicated but really isn't that far fetched. The teams wouldn't have to be all the same class shooters. It could work on a handicap system. Now where this helps on cost is pretty much everything can be bought in bulk at discounted prices saving money there. This also works for reloading equipment so the price of a press and setup isn't so high when split between 4,5 people. Not to mention a transportation a team of shooters car pooling together saving money on travel expense. Now that you have a group of shooters that can shoot more and really push each other to do better. Where things get better for the clubs mandate each team has one person there for set up and tear down saving the club staff a lot of work. Now I know this would be a lot of changes but it's just an idea something to think about even if it was done at local level I think the competition would be better and really help out the clubs.

I apologize for the grammar and spelling I will edit in the morning when I'm not so tired.

Edited by Agney5

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a discussion about teams on this forum a while back. With the decision to adopt a Production Only Nationals next year it might be time for USPSA to give this some thought. Individuals could group themselves in teams based on their gun of choice, GLOCK, Springfield XDM, S&W etc. A trophy for the top three teams and some serious bragging rights for the manufacturer that wins.

Another option is a manufacturer trophy, each company gets points based on the performance of the best 5-10 shooters using their equipment. The company with the most points wins the trophy...

It could be a good way to encourage more involvement with the sport from the Firearms manufacturers. Tie this match in with a vendor show by the top companies that would attract visitors who could then watch the shooting action as well as cruise the vendor areas.

See my thoughts were more along the lines of a team has an average Hit Factor. That would be their "Par Hit Factor” so every team has its own hit factor and the team closest to their own hit factor or above would be the winner for that match. This would allow any level of shooters to be shooting together and push competitors to do better. As they do, their Par Hit Factor will go up keeping the playing field level. Another thing that I've noticed is if you look at professional sports the most watched, successful ones are team sports. I think if it was properly covered they could get the viewers; just look at American Guns, and Sons and Guns. Like them or hate them there is a reason they are on TV. People have a fascination with guns, but also ignorance with them. Look at what the average gun owner has for a source of info, local gun shops. I'm not saying all are bad but there are more than enough stories to show there is a legitimate problem (See Gun Shop Experts). Making this a team sport plus quality TV coverage could make USPSA, IPSC, Steel Challenge, ect. a common house hold name. The best part is we can do all this without sacrificing our safety, and actually putting a better image out there of us gun owners.

You really do have to be careful what for what you wish.

From matches, it looks like IDPA gets some of the gun show crowd. We now have monthly matches with like 98 people, and don't finish until 2:00-3:30 or later. Shooting 5 stages with a 7 man squad and eating lunch at noon used to be more fun.

I'm so jealous with the stuff I'm reading in this thread, "there's a gun show in every town" the amount of shooters you guys are getting and the hassle of long days. Over here in the Peoples Republik of MA, I can go to a match every weekend almost anywhere in the state and be to work by 3pm. It's great for me, but there's definitely regions where this sport could use the growth.

I started shooting two years ago, my father was a cop for 35 years, most of my friends hunt. None of us had any idea what USPSA was, never heard of it, seen it, didn't even think it could possibly exist. Hell, we would damn near shit a brick if we could get a chance to fire at a shoot-n-see target. The best way I've found to get shooters into this sport (the right shooters, you should know better than to approach the crazy eyed trenchcoat wearer) is to take videos of matches with your phone.

When I'm at the range chronoing ammo or sighting in my gun, without fail one to three people will want to ask about the gun that has a magwell and long "sticks" holding 20 rounds. I then explain to them that I compete (poorly, but it sounds nice) and whip out the Iphone. I show them a video of a master shooter tackling a stage with plates, paper and swingers. If 1 of them says "Wow that looks like fun" he's the one. The other two guys are going to play street hockey, but this guy wants to lace up and play on a rink. I'll take him outside, setup a small stage with a timer. Next thing you know he's coming to a match with me.

Then you just make sure to squad with him, show him how to run a course through his head the first time, where to reload and where the 180's are. Honestly if someone gets a DQ at their first or second match, he didn't have enough mentoring. It's up to us to make sure that he's going slow enough and worrying to death about safety and caring about scores last. After the 3rd or 4th match he won't be coming in last anymore and he'll be hooked.

Then it's time to introduce him to reloading.....

• 1 year later...

The following statement is on our website:

It is really simple. We need people to help us put the stages on the ground. Bring your gloves and a good attitude, show up about an hour earlier that you currently do, walk up to the guy that is struggling to build a stage by himself or with too few others and pitch in. What will you be asked to do? Staple targets, spike walls, move target frames, verify shot angles, look for shoot throughs, look for RO traps, 180 traps, and other “HOLES”.

What do you get in return? More great stages, less down time waiting for the builders to finish, fewer problems after the match starts, an earlier start and an earlier finish to the match.

You might also like to try your hand at designing stages. All you need is a wicked imagination, a blank piece of paper and a crayon.

We always need more, but this has brought a lot of people into the 'mainstream' as opposed to being just match 'consumers' they have become 'match providers'

Will this make us Mainstream? No, nothing much will do that. we are a sport for the Type A person, Action Shooting is not a laid back pass time. It is a few seconds of explosive action interrupted by an hour of BS'ing with friends repeated 5-10 times in a day. Most of us that shoot and video don't watch the tapes for fun, we look at them for what we did right or wrong. To bring USPSA to a Spectator Sport would require major changes to the sport. Same way that 3-Gun Nation on TV is not like what we actually go shoot.