Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First IDPA outing........

Fire_Medic

I have been talking about it for a couple of years and I finally said screw it and went out to shoot. Man I didn't know what I was missing. Today was just a "practice" day and not a match but we got 8 good stages in and I was quite overwhelmed with everything going on and needing to keep track of. I don't remember the last time I had so much fun but was so frustrated with myself at the same time. The only thing special if you will that I bought was a couple of mag holders. I took my comp-tsac paddle holster that I use for CCW, my CCW G19, the second G19 just in case and all the other usual range stuff and ammo of course. I was maybe 1 of 2 or 3 guys shooting a G19 in SSP. The rest of the guys had long slide polymers and there were a few 2011 style pistols as well. I am not at all pleased with my performance, but I have not shot in quite some time either. Today was a real eye opener for me, lol. Unfortunately I had a brain fart and tanked the lat stage by not engaging 2 of the targets because well I just simply forgot, I was so tunneled in to engage the moving targets that I forgot about the stationary ones behind. I placed 18 of 22, and it's somewhat demoralizing lol.

Anyhow, I was just curious if anyone has any tips to offer, or advice on gear, gun, tips, etc. Am I at a disadvantage in this with the G19, or should I just keep at my mechanical skills? I'm not new to shooting, but never shot anything like this before. Have a couple of pistol classes under my belt, and some training with the AR as well. I did have a ton of fun and I am hooked. I joined the club for the range I was at, very close to home and private range, got my key now and can go shoot whenever I want, and I filled out the online membership for my first year of IDPA. So hopefully I can start to be a bit more competitive. I have no fantasy about being a top tier national competitor, but I would at least like to feel good about my performances.

What I did learn today, is that just because you can get nice groups at a static range standing still doesn't mean you're a good shooter, when the heart is racing and you're on the move it's a whole different ballgame.

Thanks

FM

I shot my second IDPA match today and actually did pretty well both times. The one thing I did before I actually shot a match was to watch a few matches and when I shot I tried to relax and to just focus on putting the sights on target and not rushing through any of the stages. As a result I ended up first in the CDP unclassified group, only dropped 8 points, and ended up only 20 seconds off the CDP Expert winner today. I did some steel matches as well over the last couple of weeks and the more I tried to slow down and just focus on the sites the accuracy went up and the scores got better.

I think what is helping me is that I'm trying not to rush and watching and talking to the other shooters. I'm sure the experienced guys can offer all kinds of advice but those two things seem to be helping me.

I shot my second IDPA match today and actually did pretty well both times. The one thing I did before I actually shot a match was to watch a few matches and when I shot I tried to relax and to just focus on putting the sights on target and not rushing through any of the stages. As a result I ended up first in the CDP unclassified group, only dropped 8 points, and ended up only 20 seconds off the CDP Expert winner today. I did some steel matches as well over the last couple of weeks and the more I tried to slow down and just focus on the sites the accuracy went up and the scores got better.

I think what is helping me is that I'm trying not to rush and watching and talking to the other shooters. I'm sure the experienced guys can offer all kinds of advice but those two things seem to be helping me.

Thank you, yes I was definitely going "too fast" today. I kept telling myself mentally, take it slow, focus and slow down, then the buzzer would go off and I was off to the races. My other issue, was my instinct to want to look over the front sight to see of I hit where I was trying to, this caused me a lot of shot's outside the -0 zone today, and a couple of non threat hits on one of the stages too.

I guess the silver lining today is I was second amongst the unclassified guys in my division and I had a lot of fun regardless of how disappointed I am with my performance. I really like the atmosphere of the club, and everyone was very friendly and took time to answer my question when they could between stages. I just need to get my act together for the next classifier........

If you weren't going too fast, bypassing targets, and peering at the target, then you might be helped by something like a G34 with longer sight radius and longer grip. But as it is, you have plenty of work to do on your approach to the stage and techniques before better equipment will matter.

If you weren't going too fast, bypassing targets, and peering at the target, then you might be helped by something like a G34 with longer sight radius and longer grip. But as it is, you have plenty of work to do on your approach to the stage and techniques before better equipment will matter.

The latter is what I was thinking and I am just trying to be honest (with myself) before spending money on something else to shoot. I appreciate the honesty.

Today was just a "practice" day and not a match but we got 8 good stages in...

Wow! That's an impressive practice day! Did you get to re-run the stages?

...I was quite overwhelmed with everything going on and needing to keep track of.

As you get used to the IDPA game, it'll get less overwhelming. Also, once you get your shooting-at-speed skills up to where they don't require conscious thought, that'll help too.

I was maybe 1 of 2 or 3 guys shooting a G19 in SSP. The rest of the guys had long slide polymers and there were a few 2011 style pistols as well. [...] Am I at a disadvantage in this with the G19, or should I just keep at my mechanical skills?

Are you at a disadvantage shooting a compact pistol like the Glock 19? Sure. Is that your problem. No. I think you knew that though.

You definitely want to keep working on your mechanical skills -- which you can do almost entirely through dry fire. Print up some small-scale targets and go through the entire Classifier, dry, at home. Or, better yet, buy Steve Anderson's dry-fire book, get a timer (or par-timer app for your smartphone), and get to work.

Today was just a "practice" day and not a match but we got 8 good stages in...

Wow! That's an impressive practice day! Did you get to re-run the stages?

No each squad was able to run through each stage 1 time

...I was quite overwhelmed with everything going on and needing to keep track of.

As you get used to the IDPA game, it'll get less overwhelming. Also, once you get your shooting-at-speed skills up to where they don't require conscious thought, that'll help too.

Yeah too much thinking going on while shooting which was a distraction. I didn't even think to go out first as others have posted and just watch a few times, I was so excited I went out and just shot, might have helped to watch a few times first but oh well. For me anyways, it's easier to remember the right way to do something after I screwed it up, than to just remember a list of things with no hands on.

I was maybe 1 of 2 or 3 guys shooting a G19 in SSP. The rest of the guys had long slide polymers and there were a few 2011 style pistols as well. [...] Am I at a disadvantage in this with the G19, or should I just keep at my mechanical skills?

Are you at a disadvantage shooting a compact pistol like the Glock 19? Sure. Is that your problem. No. I think you knew that though.

You definitely want to keep working on your mechanical skills -- which you can do almost entirely through dry fire. Print up some small-scale targets and go through the entire Classifier, dry, at home. Or, better yet, buy Steve Anderson's dry-fire book, get a timer (or par-timer app for your smartphone), and get to work.

I think with what you guys have offered here, and what you have written as well as in talking to a few other guys, that you're spot on about the gun, and yes I knew it, just guess I need to hear it/read it. I will keep on with my G19 until I can no longer improve myself and then think about another pistol at that time. This should make the benefits of a longer sight radius and full size grip more useful. I will look into the book and the app for the phone thanks for the advice. I get a lot of solo down time on my off days at home during the week and can practice as you have described. I appreciate the info.

Edited by Fire_Medic

I still shoot my 19 in ESP when I shoot IDPA.

It's not stock by any means, but it's still a 19. I have small hands, and once I added a magwell, it fits my hand like a dream.

I understand the sight radius thing, and it almost pushed me to buy a 17 top end to convert the 19 to a 19L at one point. Then I got a 24 and started shooting that in 3 Gun and USPSA. I stopped shooting IDPA for about 4 months. Two weeks ago, I picked the 19 back up and hit a local IDPA match because not much was going on in the shop.

I don't know what happened, but I took HOA in ESP and 2nd OA for the match (Damn you, Paul. I WILL beat you one day...). I've never shot that good. Everything clicked. I've spent time thinking about what I did to make this happen. I don't know if practicing with the longer sight radius of the 24 helped with tracking the sight on the 19, or if it was just the Cardboard Killing Gods smiling down on me.

My point is, I don't think the 19 will hold you back at this point in the game. And when it does, you won't have to ask the board if it is (not sure if that makes sense). Have fun with it. If you're the "I want to win" type, then you can win with it too. I remember my first sanctioned match, a very experienced shooter on my squad asked me what I was shooting on the first stage. I told him (the 19) and he kinda snickered and said "Good Luck with that." Well, I took 3rd in ESP MM. Doesn't sound like much, but I beat guys shooting 2011's (also would have won if not for sandbaggers).

:cheers:

Good advice. Practice with what you have and you'll improve much faster. There is no magic gun. I've tried a lot of them over the years and found that sticking with one, no matter what it was, for a significant length of time gave the best results. Good luck and continue to enjoy yourself.

I say practice with what you have now. You will see other shooters with their guns, some you will like and others you won't. If you see one you like, ask the owner if he would let you fire a few rounds with it. Most IDPA shooters are willing to go out of their way to help a fellow shooter. Some people like to shoot what they carry for the practice, others like the competition part of it and they lean toward the guns that are geared toward competition use.

Not sure what part of south Florida you are in, but here in Central Florida there is a match of some type (IDPA, ICORE, USPSA) every weekend of the month so there is plenty of practice available.

I started about 2 1/2 years ago and shot both USPSA and IDPA at first. I promised myself that for the first year I would NOT buy a gun just to compete and would shoot what I carried, a Glock 23 in my case. I have always reloaded but I still shot reloads that approximated the feel of defensive ammo for that year as well. I did buy a better belt/holster/mag holder setup for USPSA but still shot IDPA with my belt holster. I am sure I could have scored higher with a different pistol and ammo for that year but it really let me decide where I wanted to go and what I wanted to compete with. Glad I did it, but got some odd looks during that year. I am a big guy and a Glock 35 mostly disappears in my hands so the little 23 looked funny. Also, the chrono guy at the GA state match chuckled a bit when he picked up the 23 and then gave me a few looks after shooting the first round that was near major.

In case you wonder, I did stop shooting IDPA during that year (mainly because I liked the USPSA shooting a bit better and there 2 matches a month local, I run one of them now and I also got in into 3-gun) so I went with the Glock 35. Give yourself a chance to decided and shoot more before you buy something for competition only, you will be happy you did.

Thanks everyone for their feedback. Some of the suggestions have already been a great help. When I have had time by myself in the house I have done a good bit of dry fire practice from the holster with a target on the wall (empty gun and no ammo in the room of course). I know it's not IDPA but tonight we had a Carbine match that the local IDPA club runs and we do transition to pistol, and I was back at home again with my AR and shot my pistol portion much better than on saturday. I was also not anxious or nervous at all because this environment I am familiar with. I didn't shoot perfect with m pistol tonight but my misses today did not find any non threats and all were just outside the -0 zone. I forgot how much fun the AR is on steel

I will be looking for the book that was suggested, could not find it on my iPad so I guess will search Amazon for the real thing sometime this week.

FM

I will be looking for the book that was suggested, could not find it on my iPad so I guess will search Amazon for the real thing sometime this week.

The book's available in Brian's online store.

Thanks, I ordered it Thursday, looking forward to it's arrival.

I went back again today, we had a match today, I screwed the pooch on the end of one stage but still managed to get 11th of 26 in SSP, much better performance than last week. I was much more calm and comfortable today and I think that had a lot to do with it, and on the longer shots on steel I just took it a bit slower which in turn made me faster, go figure huh. Still have a lot of room for improvement but at least I'm not horrified like last week lol. I really was enjoying myself so much more today, not that last week wasn't fun, but today was much more so. We should have a classifier in September that I can participate in, all in all fun day today, 5 great stages, and we beat the downpour by a hair, and most importantly, no one was hurt. :cheers:

I'm getting hooked! Tuesday Drill night, and Saturday back at it again, time to order more 9MM reloading supplies :roflol:

Edited by Fire_Medic

I need to do the same. I just need to go and shoot. I finally found a holster, mag pouch, etc so I hope I can get up and running in the next couple months. I've been to a few matches and it just looks so fun.