Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When the dot is at the edge of the lense

mcoliver

I noticed I have this tendency to bring the dot closer to center (of the lense) before actually breaking the shot. Although, there have been times I knew I can get away with a good hit even when the dot was at the very edge of the lense, still the "problem" (or is it mind set?) persists.

I'll probably be exploring this more in practice. I think the "fear" is brought about by the thought of losing the dot (esp. on the 2nd shot).

What do you guys think?

Thanks for sharing.

mcoliver,

Parallax issues have been reported here from time to time

Sounds just like having the fronts sight out of the notch a bit. I'll bet you could get a bit sloppy with it up close. I wonder how far out the targets would need to get to cause problems. Be sure to let us know how it goes in practice.

There is that experiment I read about here somewhere that was started by TGO, I think (I'm too sleepy to do a search right now) . With the iron sights you would set a sight picture with the post aligned with the left of the rear notch shoot then same with the right of the rear notch. Then same thing for elevation. You would then see where the gun shoots when the sights are in those positions rather than in the "perfect alignment." I bet you could do the same with the dot and try it from various distances. The might help get rid of your "fear" because you'll have a better idea of what you can and can't get away with.

I wouldn't worry about losing the dot for the second shot. I bet your muscle memory will bring the dot right back where you need it to be. I wonder if sometimes it would be faster to fire the gun and have your body take over to bring the dot back rather than keep hunting for it. Eitherway, you'll see what the dot does during the experiment.

I wonder if sometimes it would be faster to fire the gun and have your body take over to bring the dot back rather than keep hunting for it.

You might want to try that in practice first before you try it in a match (especially with a @#$%^ no-shoot covering half the target in a weak-hand only string!)

Nolan (Alpha, Mike, No-Shoot) :P

You might want to try that in practice first before you try it in a match (especially with a @#$%^ no-shoot covering half the target in a weak-hand only string!)

Hunting for the dot during weak hand was exactly what I was thinking about. Definitely have to try it in practice first.

ps. of course if I dry fired more and worked up my weak hand index the way it should be I wouldn't have to come up with stupid ways for making up for not practicing enough ... :rolleyes:

I had no idea that TGO had posted something similar earlier. Now I feel like an idiot.

Don't feel like an idiot. I think I might be in idiot. I'm trying to find where I first saw that subject, and so far yours is the only place I can find. That's what I get for posting before I've had any coffee. Only a little better than posting after I've started on the beers. Apologies ...

"Don't drink and post."