Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lilja or Rock Creek 5R barrel

Hey Guru's, I am having a rifle built and I have to admit am still learning alot. Three questions to start, Building a rifle that can shoot .308 from 100 to 1000 yards.

- Looking at either a Mc Millian A5 or AICS, have shot the AICS and liked it, so I need to shoot a McM A4 or 5.

- I have heard good and bad on barrels, Lilja 3 groove 1:11 or Rock Creek 5R with 1:11.27 twist? What kind of ammo will I shot, for now duty carry Fed 168 match but also want to reload in future.

- Lastly on barrel length, I have heard 24 " is average but know some guys who swear with the 28" for shooting out to 1000? again I would like to have the option to shoot short and long distances.

Thanks for your patience in reading my questions.

Edited by carolina flatfoot

If you were strictly shooting 1k, the 28" barrel would help out. We shoot to 1k with our 23" barrels all the time and it just requires more attention to the wind. The 308 doesn't gain as much velocity per inch of barrel as more of the performance based cartridges. Our 155's run 2850 in the 23" barrel and 2950 in a 28" barrel. The other question will be the intended usage of the rifle. Are you going to run a suppressor ever? Tactical Matches in your future? etc.....

Now on the barrels. Lilja's have been hit or miss in my experience. Some of them are extremely tight and will limit velocity before one hits pressure. Rock barrels work extremely well, but getting them is a problem at times. I generally run Broughtons on everything. They run a little faster, easy to clean, and are extremely accurate. We ran 500 rounds through it in Bend last week, and it took 3 patches to clean it out, and it shot factory Hornady Match ammo right at 1/4moa.

Shooting a 308 at 1k will force you to read conditions and in the long run make you a better shooter by being able to read those conditions.

• 4 weeks later...