Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to start?

jhugz

I've started to pick up shooting in March (never fired a firearm before hand) and my skill level now is about a IDPA higher MM/lower SS. Sorry no USPSA classification, as there is only a few USPSA events where I currently live. I'm happy with my progress so far, I've worked with a lot of skilled shooters who've helped me succeed in my training so far. I'm probably going to be moving to Texas here in a couple months and am looking to build a training program for myself to keep progressing in the shooting sports, but I just have no clue where to start. I have a good job for a young kid like myself but I can't go to crazy on expenses. My budget on ammo is about 100 rounds of practice a week, plus 2 events. I'm assuming a good dry fire program would be the place to start and I do plan to buy the MP SIRT when it comes out. So my question is where do I start? Is there a quality dry fire program to begin with? Any good books I should pick up and read? What should I spend my weekly round budget practicing?

Thanks in advance,

James

-I can't wait to move to Dallas and shoot more USPSA as I enjoy it a lot more then IDPA.

Steve and Mikes' books are very different.

Each has its own strength.

Mike Seeklander's book and DVD are probably the best combination out there for my style of learning.

I got Mike's Book sometime ago. I read it, then put it in the Reading Room so I would come back to it frequently. Mike's DVDs are the best thing since Matt Burkett's DVDs.

They have made a big difference in my practice sessions. I even modify some of the live fire to dry fire sessions.

You can burn a lot of ammo and get training scars! These scars will come back to haunt you in a match. It can take years to overcome them.

You can learn a lot from using a .22 for training, which helps reduce cost. Dry fire is very important. Steve's book was the bible for years. I truly think Mike has surpassed it.

Dry fire is the real key to getting better.

Completely disagree with you about Steve's Books.

First, Brian's book IS the shooting bible.

Steve's dryfire books are the gold standard for dryfire. IMHO.

Seeklanders books are very good too. They are more of a system, interlocking multiple training regimens together for a cohesive plan that encompasses everything. Fitness, dryfire, live fire, visualization.

I have all 3 i mention and like them all.

You lead me to think money is a consideration. In that case buy Steve's dryfire books and Lanny Basshams first book on mental management. You won't spend a lot, and what you'll gain is priceless.

I do believe Seeklanders will work, I find it a bit cost prohibitive and it is a real commitment of your time. Lots of dry and live fire.

In your situation. I'd start with Steve's stuff. You'll probably find that his books and some good GM instruction will take you as far as you want to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Regardless which curriculum you choose, it's very important to set a practice schedule and stick to it. It needs to become a normal part of your life.

Many of your breakthroughs will come when you don't want to be practicing. Also, when it becomes normal to have the gun in your hand, that helps confidence a bunch.

Regardless which curriculum you choose, it's very important to set a practice schedule and stick to it.

There's a big part of my problem. I have no schedule. I've been working 70-80 hours per week. I come home and get something to eat while I'm checking email, facebook, benos, and maybe glancing at a musical instrument forum I supposedly moderate. Then I go to bed, get up go to work and do it over again.

Called in sick today. Going to the range might be a stretch. (Even if I felt up to it. :sick: Hey, I can see being too sick to work but not too sick to shoot, but the boss probably wouldn't understand.) But I am going to get some dry fire in today.

• 4 weeks later...

Regardless which curriculum you choose, it's very important to set a practice schedule and stick to it. It needs to become a normal part of your life.

Many of your breakthroughs will come when you don't want to be practicing. Also, when it becomes normal to have the gun in your hand, that helps confidence a bunch.

This is very important. I hear SA saying that to me every time I'm feeling too tired, too crappy, too busy, or too anything when it's practice time. You have to do the work.

Also, no one ever mentions Shooting from Within but it is a fantastic book on shooting. No offense to Brian, but I found it a lot more accessible without all the warrior-monk-zen stuff.

:sight:

• 1 year later...

I would eventually think about investing in a .22 caliber pistol or conversion kit, you can add a lot more practice to your budget, in the long run I think it was one of the best things I did practice wise. I definitely progressed faster with the addition of 500 to 1000 rounds of .22 to shoot whenever I was at the range.

I would eventually think about investing in a .22 caliber pistol or conversion kit, you can add a lot more practice to your budget, in the long run I think it was one of the best things I did practice wise. I definitely progressed faster with the addition of 500 to 1000 rounds of .22 to shoot whenever I was at the range.

Not a bad idea...if you could find .22 or had a stock pile of it. Only have 2 bricks myself.

• 2 weeks later...