Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G23 kaboom

johniac7078

This is not my gun or video, but it makes me wonder. My guess would be a damaged barrel due to bad reloads then hot factory. I was hoping for some input from people that may have more experience with .40 S&W Glocks. Please no flaming, I am trying to learn and so is the fellow that posted the YT video.

Edited by johniac7078

I think what he was trying to say is that Glock's have unsupported barrels. I have had plenty of Glock's chamber in .40 with no issues, factory & reloaded ammo. I will say reloading the brass that comes from a factory Glock barrel is a little harder then from a fully supported barrel. I have a KKM in my G34 & my Open G17. There is a difference.....

There is a ton of info on Glock barrels being supported vs. unsupported. Some of the info is good and some is bad. Just do some searching for it and you will find plenty.

All I can say is, I see Glocks in .40 used in matches week in and week out and have never seen one fail.

There is a ton of info on Glock barrels being supported vs. unsupported. Some of the info is good and some is bad. Just do some searching for it and you will find plenty.

All I can say is, I see Glocks in .40 used in matches week in and week out and have never seen one fail.

I will say this, and leave it at that.

Whenever I see a 'chamber separation' issue a.k.a. kaboom one of two things will happen.

1) The owner will admit to using reloaded ammo.

2) The owner will lie about using reloaded ammo. :roflol:

All joking aside. The only times I have even heard of KBs in ANY firearm were when the reloader made a mistake .... plain and simple.

Thats why i still have my LEE 3 hole turret... In that way i can check my casing 3x due im reloading process and when am done charging powder i can see if all the powder are equal... So am always confident on all my reloads... Yes blue press can load 8x faster than me yadda yadda... I dont care... I can load 100 per day so i have atleast 500 by end of the week and ready for atleast 2 matches.. ;) once again its the shooter who reload is the problem most of the time... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the ones that I have seen were case "blow-outs", where the portion of the case that is unsupported near the feedramp simply lets go and a jet of hot gases rushes down the magwell. An old, work-hardened piece of brass will do that, even if the reloader does everything else correctly. It doesn't necessarily require a double-charge or a bullet set-back issue.

This is an instance where the barrel itself let go, splitting it wide open. For that to happen, the pressure spike must've been very intense. I have seen two of those happen in which I was close enough to the action to be able to verify facts. On both of them, it was factory ammo.

I split a barrel myself a few years ago, but I caught the hairline cracks during an inspection before it came apart catastrophically.