Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extractor lifespan

Nealio

I thought that the 15K number was for 1911 style extractors where the extractor tension was entirely based on that long arm of metal, that had to be "tuned" by bending it just the right amount.

What I'd like to hear is what is the recommendation for extractors like on the Browning Hi Power where the tension based on a coiled spring.

I thought I read that on Henning's old site, but I can't find a reference to it now. Or maybe I saw it in a dream. I dunno.

I ask because I've been getting some stovepipes lately. I've had 6 in the last 500 rounds and in the 5,000 rounds before that I had 1 or 2. It re-chambers the new round fine, I just have to pluck this empty out and it snaps into battery.

What is scarier to me is that the debris has practically free access to the firing pin channel. Imagine what kind of trouble could crop up if some chunk of gunk goes into the firing pin channel.

Edited by Skydiver

The factory extractor springs only last about 10 - 15k before they get too weak to work properly. Replace it with a Wolff or Henning extra power spring and it will last a lot longer.

I had those in my kit, but they won't work. The spring binds up before the extractor can open enough. I have 2 of them and they look identical. I tried them in both my 9mm Limited and my .45 Poly and the results were the same: couldn't chamber a round...

So for now I took a spring out of one of my newer guns and put it in the Limited. Did I get some bad springs?

Cut a coil or two off of the Extra power extractor spring until the extractor has full travel. This is what I do to get the extra power springs to fit. I think that EAA/Tanfo started cutting the hole that the extractor spring fits into shallower than they use to. The shallow spring hole does not have enough room to fit an extra power spring without cutting a couple of coils off. I use the cut coil extra power extractor springs on my pistols and they work great for a long time.

Cut a coil or two off of the Extra power extractor spring until the extractor has full travel. This is what I do to get the extra power springs to fit. I think that EAA/Tanfo started cutting the hole that the extractor spring fits into shallower than they use to. The shallow spring hole does not have enough room to fit an extra power spring without cutting a couple of coils off. I use the cut coil extra power extractor springs on my pistols and they work great for a long time.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

yep...what cha lee said. Also...just found out the hard way that my extractor was worn down at the bottom of the extractor hook..and also very dirty. I had two malfunctions over a couple of stages. Failure to extract with a stuck casing in the chamber. Problem solved, new extractor, 200rds later no issues.