Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plates

lndshrk

At my indoor club, we shoot a man-on-man five plate with MIDDLE RED STOP PLATE, at about 12 yards. Much discussion as to best way to shoot starting from either right or left, followthrough and going back for STOP PLATE. Also curious if anyone has any idea what a good to great time on this particular drill might be? Thanks!

Is this on a plate rack? I'm not getting a visual on what this looks like. At the World Shootoffs (each person gets a plate rack, then two overlapping stop poppers in the middle), most people start at the outside and move towards the center stop. Some only go one direction. The difference is only a tenth or two.

I would GUESS that it depends on what you do best. If your speed and accuracy are the same going both directions, then it seems to make sense to shoot moving towards the stop plate. But if you are a whole lot better one direction than the other (or, looking at it the other way, a whole lot WORSE in one direction) then I'd think it better to go with your strong direction, since making up one miss probably will lose you a whole lot more time than transitioning from the far end of the rack to the stop plate.

My times on the plate rack are not worth mentioning. Just my $.02 on the mvt.

It has been my limted experience to shoot from the outside in, regardless of which side you are on. Any time you have to reverse direction and come back you are wasting time.

Oh yeah, The one thing I have learned the hard way. When everyone is shooting good, if you miss, you lose.

FWIW

dj

No reload . . . if plates are:

Plate4 Plate3 STOP Plate2 Plate1

My tendancy is to shoot better right to left, so is it better to shoot 1,2,3,4, STOP, or better to shoot 1,2,4,3, STOP, or some other combination?

For me, 4, 3, 1, 2, stop.

I always shoot towards the stop plate.

TGO, on the other hand, shoots the Steel Challenge's 5-To-Go Polish-style. Shoot the far plate first, then work back to the left, and do a wide transition to the stop plate. Seems to me he's done pretty well with it. :)

It's up to you. Figure out what works for you and do it.

Btw, TGO does that on 5TG for stage-specific reasons, but the basic summary is true: On steel, any plan is better than the best plan and an extra shot.

If it's set like so: 4 3 S 2 1

I'd probably shoot it 4,3,2,1,S, although I might try 2,1,4,3,S and see if that worked any better.

Indshrk not sure what would be a good time for just steel. Guess it depends on size of the targets, 12 yards is pretty close.

My club does MOM 2nd Thur of the month. We have 2-4 IDPA targets thrown in the mix of steel. 6 rounds max to start with a manditory reload required. One key is make good hits on steel and don't drop points on paper. Looser on the stop plate goes 5 points down automatically so points on paper are really important.

Since the range is set up mirrored whereever you start right or left side you must shoot on the opposite side on the second run. Usually 4 runs total. Lots of fun and usually a good turn out.

I'll set this one up for our next steel match.

Not sure how I would shoot it. I do know that I find it increasingly un-natural to swing past a plate without shooting it. With that in mind, I might go straight across...either 1-2-3-4-S or 4-3-2-1-S.

I have a feeling that going toward the inside will prove fastest here though. 4-3-1-2-S or 1-2-4-3-S. On plate rack spacing, I doubt that there is enouigh lateral swing to make lining up to start on an outside plate a problem.

I don't see starting on an inside plate. While that would keep your index/NPA centered, shooting inside out (even on one side) means you have a large swing to deal with when coming off the outside plate and going to the plates on the other side.

I have less of a problem swinging to a stop plate. Mostly because I will be clearly bringing the gun to a stop. There is no desire to swing through the target to get to the next. I feel safer.

I used the BE "Smoke & Hope" method...

Even though skipping over a plate in the middle of a R->L or L->R run is unnatural, I believe it would be fastest. But.. you've got to be sure you got that last plate before jumping off it onto the stop plate.

Going inside-out, then across with the swing in the middle of the string, you have a few more miliseconds to recognize/fix it should something go wrong. You also get the index/NPA on the stop plate, which can be handy if you're into "grabbing-the-checkered-flag" too early.

Changing directions midstream seems wierd.