Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Firing with a Magwell to improve reloads

I have taken to doing dry fire reloads with my magwell off my gun.

This makes the reload much harder. I am only 1 week in, but I have noticed good results (although I could just be imagining it) as reloading with a magwell seems child's play by comparison.

It raises a question about training philosophy......should you "train like you compete" or "train in conditions harder than competition?"

Thoughts?

I did that prior to Nationals... It helped me...

In reality you are "trainING like you compete" & "trainING in conditions harder than competition"

...It raises a question about training philosophy......should you "train like you compete" or "train in conditions harder than competition?"

This may seem unrelated, but it probably isn't. My piano teacher a long time ago told me about a practice technique. That is for a given piece of music, make a troublesome passage even more difficult than it really is. For instance, a simple ascending scale of C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C is practiced instead as C-E-D-F-B-A-G-C. When you get to where you can play the practice passage without difficulty, then you'll find that you can absolutely RIP through the music as originally written.

I suspect the same sort of thing is true in shooting.

For me I am finding the opposite. I have shot Production pretty much exclusively since starting about 2 1/2 years ago, Most of that time has been with a Glock 35. My reloads have definitely become MUCH faster and consistent. To the point where a couple of times people who I have shot with from time to time over that time (larger matches, etc.) have commented. The last few months I have switched over to a Limited Glock 35 that includes a magwell. I feel like a rookie again with fumbled reloads! When reloading with mags with a Dawson extended base I am Ok but the different length and feel do slow me down slightly. When reloading with normal 15 rounders, the magwell makes it important to really seat the mag right since it is flush with the well. Bit me last match when my plan fell apart and I needed and extra reload, one shot and mag in the dust.

Generally like to train as am going to compete, that is why I am using the Limited gun with minor ammo since it is 3gun season.

• 3 months later...