Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Witness 10mm Questions

Define quality.

Is it trigger feel? Is it overall look of the frame and slide? Is it the minor exterior detailing? Is it the interior finishing? Is it the sights?

Do you really mean dependability rather than quality?

My advice is try out both at a range. Figure out which one fits you better.

Edited by Skydiver

I own both. I recommend you stick with the Witness Elite line, the Stocks, Pro, Limited or Hunter depending on your needs. They have the older square slides and are assembled in the Custom Shop in Italy. The bad news is you'll pay almost twice as much as a Glock. I'm sure the Glock will fire the same number of hotter 10MM and still be asking for more long after the Witness have broken parts, but I prefer the Witness Pistols in 10MM. See my Avatar. :D

If you spring the Witness 10mm right, it should last a long time. Also it has a fully supported chamber. You don't see Witness guns blowing the mag out when a case fails.

As far as "quality" goes, that can mean a different things to different people as Skydiver has mentioned. But for me the Elite series of Tanfgolio (Witness) pistols are hand down higher "quality" firearms than Glocks. Fit is better, finish is better, and the Elite pistols are hand fitted.

The base model pistols from Tanfoglio I would say are on par with the quality of Glock.

roostershooter,

Add +1 to Skydivers comments. Have two 10s both Tanfoglio Elites (Match & Hunter). The only down side to the all steel Tanfoglios is the weight and that is only a issue if you are doing long distance hiking. My match is just fine for day hikes under 10 miles. That extra weight pays all kinds of dividends in sight recovery and accurate rapid fire. Have shot the standard Witness and it controls recoil just fine if you respring it. Have yet to find a Glock 20 as accurate as either of my Witnesses. I am sure there is one out there it just has never been in my hands.

Good luck on your choice.

10mmjunkie

Define quality.

Is it trigger feel? Is it overall look of the frame and slide? Is it the minor exterior detailing? Is it the interior finishing? Is it the sights?

What I'm looking for is something outside of Glock that feels right in my hand.

I don't have a range that allows you to test fire guns prior to purchase, nor do I know anyone who has one for me to shoot.

I do prefer the feel of CZ and Beretta over Glock, but I'm also looking for longevity of the pistol. I will be practicing with it on a weekly basis, as well as, hunting whitetail deer in dense woods in the fall.

I do prefer the feel of CZ and Beretta over Glock, but I'm also looking for longevity of the pistol. I will be practicing with it on a weekly basis, as well as, hunting whitetail deer in dense woods in the fall.

How many rounds per week are we talking, and what kind of a load will you be shooting.

I don't shoot my 10mm enough to comment a whole lot on longevity as I only have like 1200 rounds through it. All of those loads were the maximum charge recommended by my Nosler and Speer books.

Guys are getting 40,000 shots out of the .40 S&W Tanfoglios though.

Your rear sight is going to be the biggest issue, but with the new Henning fixed rear sight you should be fine.

Edited by Nealio

I have owned several Glocks over the years, but have sold them all off, and I have no plans to buy another. My first Witness is an Elite Match in 10mm. It has fired

about 300 flawless rounds, and will see another 100 tomorrow. The gun is extremely accurate, and a lot of fun to shoot. I would vote for the Witness.

Define quality.

What I'm looking for is something outside of Glock that feels right in my hand.

I don't have a range that allows you to test fire guns prior to purchase, nor do I know anyone who has one for me to shoot.

I too think the Witness feels better than the Glock. I think any CZ type pistol fels good as the dished out part on the back strap allows me a more fist like tighter grip, something important with a 10MM. For warmer 10MM rounds maybe you should look at the Hunter as it has a heavier slide that will slow down the cycle of the slide giving you longevity you want. The longer sight radis and increase in velocity are another benefit. Nealio is right about spring you Witness. From the factory Witness comes with lighter springs meant for the .45 and 38Super.

Can not say that I have 10,000 rounds through either my Hunter or Match. I do have 2,500 rounds of empty brass in my gun-room waiting for the next loading session. As long as the weapon is re-sprung appropriately it will last a lifetime. Load I have been working on is a 200gr HP either XTP or Nosler at about 1250fps out of the Hunter. Not exactly target level velocities. Confidence is high that these would destroy a G-20 in a few hundred rounds even though they do not show any pressure signs in either of my guns.

To get the equivalent of a Hunter you will need a complete new top end which will cost you more than the pistol itself plus replace most of your trigger mechanism. Even to bring it up to close to Match standards you are looking at a complete trigger job and a new barrel. In either case you still have the Glock Trigger that will be a lot better than the factory one, but is still a Glock trigger.

Realize that the decision is yours, but my recommendation is for a Hunter and by a Match or Limited top end later. In the end I think it is a better product with greater growth potential at a lower overall cost. Good luck on your choice.

10mmjunkie

The witness is built like a tank. I ran loads through mine that were nuclear range and it never had an issue. Accurate, reliable, and easy to shoot well. I used mine as a truck gun for years in west texas because of the long range accuracy and punch of the gun. My g20 was another good gun. I put a kkm comped barrel and it and it could take some of the abuse but I never felt as safe with hot loads in it as the witness. Just a lot more steel in the witness. In the end I sold them both to a shooting buddy because I had 2 custom 1911's built in 10mm. Today I regret selling the glock but I am fine without the witness. The glock just has less worries about rust in the truck.

So what are you going to do with the gun? Go nuclear with reioads or just standard 10mm fare. If you are going hot, get the witness, if going standard either will do.

• 3 weeks later...

Have yet to see a glock that would perform close to the tanfoglio/ Eaa elites in any caliber( accuracy, recoil management, trigger feel, and customization/ fit ) I have hand loaded some very healthy round for my hunter and it fires flawlessly. I have resprung it for the heavy loads and use henningshop 20+ mags.

I'm the ragamuffin in the crowd, preferring my Glock. With a Glock, you know exactly what it is and what it does or doesn't do. I've not been impressed with the two EAA's I've seen, admittedly older, un-Match guns.

My G20 gets warm, not stooopid loads and I use it as a hiking gun, where its weight and rust resistance are appreciated. I've toyed with the idea of mousefart loads for Production but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's my only Glock.

FWIW,

Mark

The only downside to the hunter is that you can't get a 2 stage guide rod for it.

Hopefully that will change with the introduction of the Bulls Eye by IFG.

A friend of mine had a Glock 20 which introduced me to the 10mm cartridge. I bought a Elite Match because of the feel and fantastic trigger compared to the Glock. The Match is about the same price as a Glock 20 and i also noticed the brass from the Glock is much more difficult to resize not to mention the cases get a more pronounced bulge at the bottom after only a few uses. If you are reloading (10mm is hard to find) the Match will make your brass last much longer.

The only downside to the hunter is that you can't get a 2 stage guide rod for it.

Hopefully that will change with the introduction of the Bulls Eye by IFG.

I don't understand..

The Bulls Eye and the Hunter are the same gun with a different finish.

Has anyone tried loading the Tanfo .40 S&W to 10mm O.A.L. lengths and pressures? It seems doable with cheap (compared to 10mm cases) .40 caliber cases and 10mm loading data (my Witness Match's barrel's chamber has the necessary length, the cases have the same wall thickness in the critical web area and the chamber support is very good) but I thought I would wait for someone with more experience to try it first.

I've been using the longer OAL (but not the higher pressures) without any problems. Currently I'm vascillating between 3.5 grains of Clays and 5.2 grains of WST (both at 1.24" OAL with a 170 grain lead truncated cone lead alloy (MO bullets).

Edited by jmbaccolyte

The idea being that it is another pistol that could use an aftermarket guiderod and thus a larger market. Who knows maybe the bulls eye will popularize the 6 inch barreled witness?

Edited by Dugiv