Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fail Zero or Nickel Boron BCG?

RippSpeed

Is anyone running a Failed Zero or Nickel Boron BCG??? What's your review??? Is it a worthy upgrade for reliability???

Its not going to improve your reliability.

Pat

Harder than chrome, slicker operating. Do you need one? Probably not. Are they cool, and a great piece of craftsmanship, yep. Lots of people run the boron coating, JP has a good one, and it will make a stronger, slicker part. Pat has a point, but the other side of that is, if you like it, get one. :devil: Confidence in equipment and lots of practice builds great shooting.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Don't have any reliability problems with my current RRA Chrome BCG, just its a peta to clean ... Knowing Nickel Boron will probably clean better is the only reasoning for an upgrade for me. Its suppose to clean better because of the lubrisity. My OCD kicks in and can't stand knowing something isn't clean clean...

Edited by RippSpeed

Don't have any reliability problems with my current RRA Chrome BCG, just its a peta to clean ... Knowing Nickel Boron will probably clean better is the only reasoning for an upgrade for me. Its suppose to clean better because of the lubrisity. My OCD kicks in and can't stand knowing something isn't clean clean...

I have one on order myself but from JP. I liked the look of the natural finished one, but when I read about what the coat does for metal I couldn't pass it up. Don't think it will aid reliability much, but am looking for it to add about 10 points to my score/match. :eatdrink:

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

I'm glad I have moved past that sentiment. :D

I've had mine from Loki for about 3 months using mostly cheap Russian ammo. One thing I really like about the NiB coating is that I can see any spots that I missed when cleaning. It has been noticeably easier to clean than my standard BCG and is slicker even when dry. I'm sure if I had a suppressed SBR I might be able to take full advantage of the coating, but with my volume of shooting in a middy, it's definitely more gimmickie than anything else. But regardless of coating, I still get some wicked buildup on the bolt that requires me to use a knife to scrape off the caked on carbon. I'm sure if I had a better cleaning regiment that the bolt wouldn't be as bad.

Would I buy another? For a race gun or high volume carbine, sure. But for a HD, SHTF, plinking or hunting rifle, probably not worth the investment. When time permits, I do hope to use my rifle for competition use. Until then... It's just a flashy looking range plinker. :D