Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI trigger on SPS/STI

sps

hi all,

i recently changed my original trigger on my SPS to the SVI's interchangable trigger (long flat). during the first 1000 roubnds there were no problems, but now the hammer seems to go down only half way, without hitting the firing-pin.

before i changed the triggers i looked on them and it seems that there is no difference between the two.

dose anybody know of any problem that the SVI trigger may cause whan using it on guns SPS (as far as i know the SPS is a clone of the STI, only it is made in Spain). could it be another problem? i personally think that it has nothing to do with the trigger (since the problem is not to operate the trigger it just that the trigger does not fall down all the way). could it be the sear? the safety? or maybe there is not enought pressure from the sear spring.

urgent help is needed, i'm just before the Europeans 2004.

SPS

SPS,

is it possible that the overtravel adjustment screw moved from its initial position (maybe it wasn't loc-tited) and now it doesn't allow full trigger travel? Try turning the screw counter-clockwise a full turn and see if the hammer falls completely.

skywalker

at the begining i thought that it was the adjustment screw (which indeed traveled forward) but i put some loctite and it stands in its plaece. the problem keeps happening.

I'm running a SVI trigger in my STI frame and I don't think very much had to be done to put it in other than polishing the sides of the bow a bit and making sure that it was straight.

There is a thread here where DaG says the SVI triggers (normal and tri-glide) "are a few thousandths longer than most others. Bob at Brazos told me you have to cut the back of the sear to get the trigger to fit properly."

Hope that helps. It would probably be a good idea to get a gunsmith to fit it for you.

Edited by davidwiz

Gorilla wrote: "Check to make sure that the trigger shoe isn't loose on the bow. This allows the bow to flex which causes some bad stuff... just like what you're describing."

EXACTLY what happend to my tri-glide trigger bow! It can be peened back tight. Never had a problem w/ hammer follow (hammer falling to 1/2 cock). I run an SV lower; it should be nearly identical to your SPS lower.

The hammer follow is likely caused in part by a weak leaf spring; may want to take a look at that too. D.

since the problem started only after 500 rounds or so, i believe that the problem does not relate to the trigger, otherwise the problem should have started right after i instaled the trigger (i think).

maybe its the leaf spring or maybe i need to use SVI's regular bow (without the little ball) trigger.

i went to the range without changing a thing since the problem started and there was no problem whatsoever. it only makes it more complicated since now i have no idea what the problem is.

i'll keep you updated. i only hope that nothing will happen at the Europeans in 3 weeks time.

SPS

• 1 month later...

It's a problem with the disconnector coming off the ears of the sear. It can be caused by a weak leaf spring, a worn disconnector (read that improperly fit also) or a really dirty filthy disconnector notch/recess on the slide. As you pull the trigger the disconnector moves the sear and the disconnector can move down. If it moves down to far or the ears on the sear or the disconnector are to short the disconnector will disengage from the sear and let the sear engage the half cock notch.

Take the slide off and check it. If the hammer still falls to half cock then you need a new sear, disconnector or both. If it doesn't happen with the slide off then the disconnector could be to long or the notch/recess in the slide needs to be cleaned.