Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 special N320 load for IDPA SSR

Classic_jon

I just picked up a used 686 with all the goodies to shoot SSR and am looking for a good load to use.

I have looked around with the search and had not been able to find where anyone had used N320 for IDPA .38 special SSR loads at the new lower power factor. I have some 158gr RN plated bullets so making power factor should not be too difficult.

I would appreciate any suggestions!

P.S.

I am actually enjoying shooting a revolver :D

Although I've not tried N320 in .38, that looks about right - 320 loading seem to run pretty close to Clays in .38. Start with that load and chrono it in you 686 to see how they run in your gun. Then you can try bumping the charge down a 0.1 of a grain at a time if you want to get closer to the 105 PF in SSR. Look for a decrease in accuracy, inconsistent ignition (you'll hear it when it starts happening - boom, boom...pop!), and signs of unburned powder (very bad in a wheel gun)to tell you if you are going too low in charge weight. Although 320 is a great powder, unless you already have some, consider Clays or Solo 1000 for .38 SSR loads - both powders are inexpensive, readily available, clean burning and have lots of great SSR loads already worked up and posted here and elsewhere. Welcome to SSR - where circular logic makes sense!

I have a couple other powders but I use N320 for my 9mm, .40, and .45 loads so I have quite a bit of it :) Using it for SSR would be nice because it would simplify what I need to keep on hand.

From testing loads, I have some Titegroup, Universal Clays, Clays, and others on hand but the Titegroup loads I tried were pretty dirty/sooty.

That is one of the things I like about N320 is that it is overall pretty clean :)

I load 320 for my wife's S&W model 60. I use 3.9 and it chronos at 730fps. Her gun has a 3" barrel. Real powder puff rds. Nice and clean. After I finish shooting my gun (44 mag), I have to check to see that I didn't get a squib when I try her gun. :D

Works great with 148gr HBWC, and some 125gr light loads. Try going too fast and it gets a little pressury with quite small loads.

Remember it is designed for 32S&W Long for bullseye. I believe it is also used for 7/8oz loads in 12g for ISSF Trench.

Works great with 148gr HBWC, and some 125gr light loads. Try going too fast and it gets a little pressury with quite small loads.

Remember it is designed for 32S&W Long for bullseye. I believe it is also used for 7/8oz loads in 12g for ISSF Trench.

I think I will try 4.2 to 4.4 n310 with 130 RN for a SC load.

The 4.0gr of N320 with 158gr RN worked well at the match. Very soft shooting and accurate. I still need to do some more testing at 25yards but I think I may have a winner. :)

As for the N310... I lump N310 and Clays into the same boat. They both work nice for their intended uses, but the both build pressure dramatically if you are not careful. I have shot a .40 with Clays but I think there are some "better options" out there that don't build pressure as fast at higher load levels.

I think I will try 4.2 to 4.4 n310 with 130 RN for a SC load.

4.2 n310 with 130 rn clocked 725 fps out of my 4" Diamondback. Needless to say "pretty soft". Did not see any signs of pressure on the primers and extraction was easy.

I agree powders like this and Clays and spike quickly. Would only use for powder puff loads.

320 behind Berry's 158s is my top-rank .38 competition load. 4.8gr or so will make USPSA minor power in my battered old 586 pretty solidly, about 830fps, and closer to 880 in my Colt four-inchers.

I haven't tried going down to the new IDPA factor since I don't want to mess myself up for ICORE and USPSA.

The gun hardly needs cleaning afterwards and the recoil is fine.