Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bushnell VS Meopta

ckell101

I am buying a new scope, and I have it down to two. I have browsed the forums, and gotten pros for both, so I need some help with what would be the optimum scope for 3gun (imagine that :rolleyes: ) I have it down to the Bushnell Elite Tactical SMRS 1-6.5x 24mm - Illuminated BTR-1 SFP and the Meopta Meostar 1-4x22 ZD Tactical Kdot.

Let's hear the pros, the cons and other things to consider. I would like to keep my budget around 1500. Thoughts?

Thanks guys

You can get the Bushnell for closer to $1100 than $1500. Not sure on the Meopta price. I definitely like the 6.5x being there for the loooong shots, even though I don't see many of them at matches. I upgraded from a 1-4 to the Bushnell and am happy I did.

Man, the likelihood of finding some one with botb is slim to none. The meopta is truly daylight bright, costs $200 less, is more compact and has superior eye box characteristics. The reticle gets it done for 223 and 308. In fact I used mine to finish 3rd at Heman Nationals (although in all fairness we all got spanked by Watson with irons). You don't need 6.5x. What you need are things like forgiving eye relief, large FOV and an effective yet simple reticle. I've only had a chance to handle the bushnell briefly though. My buddy is ordering one up, so I will have an opportunity to run them side by side. I might be willing to get one in addition to my Meopta, but I'm not willing to let my meopta go for the new Bushnell.

Edited by co-exprs

I am buying a new scope, and I have it down to two. I have browsed the forums, and gotten pros for both, so I need some help with what would be the optimum scope for 3gun (imagine that :rolleyes: ) I have it down to the Bushnell Elite Tactical SMRS 1-6.5x 24mm - Illuminated BTR-1 SFP and the Meopta Meostar 1-4x22 ZD Tactical Kdot.

Let's hear the pros, the cons and other things to consider. I would like to keep my budget around 1500. Thoughts?

Thanks guys

I would get the Bushnell. A friend of mine has a Meopta and has since upgraded to a Swarovski. His main reason for not liking the Meopta was he felt that at 4x it did not really feel like 4x more like 3x to him. He wanted more magnification. I think 6 is about ideal for our game.

I have both. Went to the bushnell before ever shooting the meopta. I like the 6.5 but the main reason I switched is because my background with scopes is with MIL reticles. I just prefer to stick with mils instead of matching my ammo to a BDC reticle. Never shot the meopta so I guess I didn't give it a fair chance. Not sure what I'm going to do with the meopta now.

The FFP reticle is really small at 1x. I like the large horseshoe of the SFP at 1x. At 3gun distances you don't really need accurate ranging or BDC drops unless you are using maximum magnification.

I agree with wakstasz . While I don't bother with anything that isn't FFP on a precision rifle, I prefer SFP for 3gun. I'm faster with the bigger reticle up close and usually don't use anything other than max power for the longer range shots. Even if I do use a different power figuring out the correct hold isn't hard. We don't usually try to shoot sub moa or even moa size targets 3 gun anyway.

Personally I prefer better resolution than magnification. I use the ZD and find it works great for me. The great glass and crisp/bright reticle work well at distance for me and is much faster then a 6x scope when it comes to locating/transitions. I'm not shooting benchrest and trying to put each round in the same hole, I'm trying to hit a plate as fast as I can, so 4x is about the most I'd want to go.

At least for me, I've found this to be pretty contant for me across different platforms as well. I've done a fair amount of precision long range work with a quality fixed 10x. I prefer the extra field of view and the speed that comes along with that than the extra magnification. And interestingly enough, I've been doing some testing of different stages with an AR with an EOTech and an AR with the ZD and the times are generally quicker with the EOTech. Of course that depends on the stage. If there are a fair amount of close range (less than 100 yards) targets I make up for the extra time on the long range stuff and my total time is less at 1x. If there are a fair amount of small targets out past 250 I see the scales start to tip in favor of the ZD.

Shot a match yesterday with a stage with shots from 50-200 yards. Used 4x on this scope and had no problems. I don't know if I've been practicing or what but I was able to easily clear the 14 round stage in 17 shots, where last month with my Tac30 and 200 yard shots I was missing all over the place. Granted 200 is not all that hard but I had a really bad time last month on a similar stage. I think the center 1MOA dot is wayyyy better than a 2.5MOA dot like the Tac30 has.

Edited by waktasz

I got the Bushnell BTR-2 sfp. I like the ability to go to a higher power then 4 if needed. I have been shooting a TAC 30 and I prefer the Bushnell. The reticle is probally not as brigth in the sun, but I like the on off switch better than the Burris. The TAC 30 reticule is not that user frendily when shooting at 500 + in my experience, gets too cluttered with the bigger bottom ring. I know that we do not normaly shoot that far except a few matches, but it is getting more common for the bigger formats. The extra power can be a plus in calling missed shot as well, if condition allow. If you can not see it you can not hit it. I had a Meopta, they are great, the reticle brightness is awsome. I did have to work with it to figure out my holds, witch is a pain too me. The Bushnell BTR-2 if you know the volicity of your round and have a balistic progran you know where to hold, much easier and more consistant. I will stay with this one until I find something better, that is afforadable.