Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 primer hell!!

After about 15,000 reloads, my 650 doesn't like primers anymore. First I had Win SP primers with anvils riding a little high that got ripped off in the primer plate and resulted in rounds without primers. I loaded about 1k of Fed SP without a problem and then I was fighting the same anvil problem. I've taken the primer system apart and cleaned it with brake cleaner and even tried the spray on mag lube that dries.

When it's time to seat the primers the brass doesn't care if the anvil is a little high. It looks like Dillon makes the primer plate a little too thin. If it was a little thicker I think these primers would work.

Any ideas????

Steve :mellow:

Call Dillon, they are awesome on the phone. I only had one problem getting my 650 running and they corrected it in 2 minutes. The tech line realy knows the product well. My primers sit well below the top of the primer plate.

Or hang out until the answer shows up... :lol:

Edited by .40AET

The thickness of the primer disc is critical. If too thick, all of one and part of a second primer drop in, locking the disc. Too thin, and primers also cause it to hang up. Blueprints call for dimensions as follows. The small primer disc should be .125" thick, tolerances of +/- .001". these discs are double disc ground, and usually vary no more than .0005". We recently ran into a batch of primers with burrs on the anvils from their production. This caused no end of heartache trying to feed them.

Dillon,

Thank you. I finally discovered the problem. Your tech support is outstanding but because I had similar problems before I thought I could debug it myself. After about eight teardowns and reassembly I noticed that the primer index cam was worn out (photo attached). The index arm rubs against the edge of the cam at about a 12 e deg angle. In time the edge of the cam wares down and even rolls the edge over about 1/16”. In time, like mine, the primer plate won't index fully into the hole of the shell plate to prime. If the index arm rubbed flat on the cam surface the cam would last much longer due to a much greater bearing surface. If the arm had a roller on the end I don’t expect it would ever wear out.

Also the spring-washer for the primer plate shaft had lost much of its power resulting in too much up and down flop of the pawl that made it very marginal to reliably engage the holes in the primer plate. They is plenty of room on the topside for a longer shaft to accommodate a coil spring in place of the spring-washer.

Steve

primer.cam.jpg

I had the same problem with my press after i got it back from Dillon for a full work over. A friend of mne mentioned he had an alignment device for the 650 so I gave it a try and lo and behold it was a bit out of adjustment . Following Dillons directions with the alignment tool fix the whole problem it has run great since...might be worth looking into! KURT

Dillon,

Thank you - I'd already called and the parts I need are on the way. Your support people have always been very helpful and Dillon means it when it comes to your life time warranty!!!

It would be great to be able to buy a "High Volume User's Heavy Duty Parts Kit" with some more durable parts.

KurtM,

I wish I also had the Dillon alignment tool with directions. I've been reloading for about 45 years and I really like my 650. I've yet to own a progresive loader that didn't require good mechanical experience to keep them running.

Steve