Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed Bead for a Versa Max

Zebraman

I've long suspected that a Benelli model could fit since a Benelli pistol grip stock can fit with very little adjustment, but I have no evidence to support my thinking.:angry2:

I'm looking at putting an optic on my Versa Max and would love to do a speedbead instead of the top mounted rail, if possible.

Yes - I shot an Open Versa Max on Sunday that had a SpeedBead and an X-Rail. It belongs to kampr, so he may be along shortly with more details. The gun worked well, though I found having TWO beads out there a bit distracting. It was refreshing to shoot a whole stage without having to reload :roflol:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I hope he does come by soon. I've got a full-size XRAIL on the way to me soon for my 26" VM. Did you shoot a full size XRAIL? On what Versa Max model? If you want to PM me about it so as not to hijack this thread, that would be great. Either way. :)

Thanks!

I hope he does come by soon. I've got a full-size XRAIL on the way to me soon for my 26" VM. Did you shoot a full size XRAIL? On what Versa Max model? If you want to PM me about it so as not to hijack this thread, that would be great. Either way. :)

Thanks!

It is a 26" field w/full sized XRail. I used the SpeedBead off my M2.

I am swamped at work,...I'll try and get pic's and details of my mods up this weekend.

The gun worked well, though I found having TWO beads out there a bit distracting.

Funny,...coming from a guy that has "peep-sights" on his shotgun! :devil:

Most Brits will say, ...You don't need no "stinkin" sights on a shotgun! :cheers:

Most Brits will say, ...You don't need no "stinkin" sights on a shotgun! :cheers:

Actually, "stinkin" is an American word - presumably a Webster contraction of "stinking". In England we'd say "We need no malodourous sights on our shotguns, thank you very much" :roflol:

Thanks everyone, I think that Brits would say "Bloody" or "Wankin'"...

Kampr, Did you have to modify the speedbead mount? Also, do you have an Arredondo assist brackets on your gun? If so, which model, and did you have to do anything special to it to get it to fit?

Edited by Zebraman

Thanks everyone, I think that Brits would say "Bloody" or "Wankin'"...

Kampr, Did you have to modify the speedbead mount? Also, do you have an Arredondo assist brackets on your gun? If so, which model, and did you have to do anything special to it to get it to fit?

Yes, I'll try and post pics tonight.

Yes, Benelli. A little sanding on the sides of the plastic bracket and reshape the nub that uses trigger guard for support. It works perfect!

I just uploaded video of me shooting kampr's Open VM. The hangup after the first shot was some issue with the bunny fart 2-3/4DE ammo not liking to feed from the ghost load. After the first 2 shots, everything else was kampr's crappy reloads that looked like an elephant had sat on them :roflol:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

And for the SpeedBead,..

While I would have preferred to do this in my shop, I did this at home with some basic layout tools, an assortment of files, a cordless drill and a dremel.

Measure twice, grind/drill/cut once!

The small piece of metal is formed to the contour of the top of the pistol grip. It’s purpose is to provide a stable surface for the wedge screw, instead of digging into the rubber stock. I believe, I replaced the stock wedge screw with one that was 3/8” long. Level the base, mount the FastFire,..wa la,….piece of cake!

The beauty of it is, it will still work on a Benelli.

post-18319-0-24238600-1340756130_thumb.j

post-18319-0-84732700-1340756152_thumb.j

Here are some of the “primo” reloads I let Stealthy try,… :surprise: I can’t believe they run in this gun!!! :bow:

They are 30yr old reloads, 1oz #9’s that chrono at 1030fps. It feels like you’re shooting a cork gun. :D

post-18319-0-14604500-1340761585_thumb.j

And for the SpeedBead,..

While I would have preferred to do this in my shop, I did this at home with some basic layout tools, an assortment of files, a cordless drill and a dremel.

The small piece of metal is formed to the contour of the top of the pistol grip. It's purpose is to provide a stable surface for the wedge screw, instead of digging into the rubber stock. I believe, I replaced the stock wedge screw with one that was 3/8" long. Level the base, mount the FastFire,..wa la,….piece of cake!

Not being familiar with the SpeedBead design or metal working, what did you have to modify besides the longer screw? Sorry to be uninformed.

And for the SpeedBead,..

The small piece of metal is formed to the contour of the top of the pistol grip. It's purpose is to provide a stable surface for the wedge screw, instead of digging into the rubber stock. I believe, I replaced the stock wedge screw with one that was 3/8" long. Level the base, mount the FastFire,..wa la,….piece of cake!

Not being familiar with the SpeedBead design or metal working, what did you have to modify besides the longer screw? Sorry to be uninformed.

They don't come with the extra holes or slots.

post-18319-0-73658900-1340768007_thumb.j

And to add to the mix, a PSI Ghost ring rear sight (AKA Benelli M4 rear sight) will fit the Versa Max. The elevation screw is the exact thread pitch for the rear most hole on the Versa max receiver. You still need to drill/tap the front and rear mounting screw holes.

In my case, said modification was done performed at Stealthyblagga's house!

A Williams front sight is a perfect match height wise for the front sight. I'm having some steel front sights built hopefully this weekened for a rock solid attachment of the front fibre optic.

Mick