Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CB45 Range Diary

CB45

7/15/2013

Warsaw was a fun match. I was nervous shooting in front of RePete B. and Chris I. I learned a lot from them at the match, but I dont think it helped me for the match. I followed them in the line-up, and I thought to myself "Self, you can do better than that" That didnt work at all! My hands were shaking at "Make Ready" and I "Tried" on just about every stage. Those stages didnt end up well. I need to work on a mental game to deal with spectator & and personal expectations. I shoot way better when Im on a squad with nobody I know on it. As I become more involved in the sport and meet more people, squads like that are becoming harder to find. I should have, and will in the future, work on focusing on my game when I am squad with shooters who are better than me.

Two sets of double stacked targets around a hard left & right lean put the hurt on me. I am too short to shoot them leaning, when I leaned I couldnt use the dot. It was just physically not going to happen. I should have just point shot them one handed. One target around a hard lean is doable; at worst you can fall out and shoot it. Two turtle targets, double-stacked, separated by a no shoot, located around a hard lean kicked my can twice!

Shot the classifier 08-03 Six in 2.52s down 5. It will end up at 90% I think. The delta really hurt, it could have been a GM run. Ah well. Im only trying to make Master. One more M run and I should achieve that goal.

Edited by CB45

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was nervous shooting in front of RePete B. and Chris I. I learned a lot from them at the match, but I dont think it helped me for the match. I followed them in the line-up, and I thought to myself "Self, you can do better than that" That didnt work at all! My hands were shaking at "Make Ready" and I "Tried" on just about every stage. Those stages didnt end up well. I need to work on a mental game to deal with spectator & and personal expectations. I shoot way better when Im on a squad with nobody I know on it.

You HAVE to just shoot your game. Realize that you'll probably always be shooting with people better than you, and you will NOT beat them on pure will power alone. I've been squaded with Vogel, Jarrett, Olhasso, and many other GMs/champions over the years. You can try to learn from them, but you cannot try to beat them. I was squadded w/ Chris L on Sunday who won accross all divisions. I didn't try to beat him, just shot my game. I did learn a couple things watching him (except when I was too busy chatting or loading mags).

There really aren't spectators in this game. It's not like we have bleachers full of chearing/booing fans. There are other shooters milling around, who might happen to watch you shoot... or not (they might be busy chatting, loading mags, looking at the next stage, etc). Forget about them. Assume they aren't even watching.

If you are thinking about other shooters who might [or might not] be watching you, and thinking about how fast they did something, you're head isn't in the right place.

Look at it this way... you're going to look even more silly when you tank a stage because you're worrying about who's watching. ;)

-rvb

7/15/2013

Warsaw was a fun match. I was nervous shooting in front of RePete B. and Chris I. I learned a lot from them at the match, but I dont think it helped me for the match. I followed them in the line-up, and I thought to myself "Self, you can do better than that" That didnt work at all! My hands were shaking at "Make Ready" and I "Tried" on just about every stage. Those stages didnt end up well. I need to work on a mental game to deal with spectator & and personal expectations. I shoot way better when Im on a squad with nobody I know on it. As I become more involved in the sport and meet more people, squads like that are becoming harder to find. I should have, and will in the future, work on focusing on my game when I am squad with shooters who are better than me.

Two sets of double stacked targets around a hard left & right lean put the hurt on me. I am too short to shoot them leaning, when I leaned I couldnt use the dot. It was just physically not going to happen. I should have just point shot them one handed. One target around a hard lean is doable; at worst you can fall out and shoot it. Two turtle targets, double-stacked, separated by a no shoot, located around a hard lean kicked my can twice!

Shot the classifier 08-03 Six in 2.52s down 5. It will end up at 90% I think. The delta really hurt, it could have been a GM run. Ah well. Im only trying to make Master. One more M run and I should achieve that goal.

I know that this is going to sound funny but the last thing you want to be doing is thinking while you are shooting......

I know that this is going to sound funny but the last thing you want to be doing is thinking while you are shooting......

+1. If you're focused on doing everything possible to shoot As and call your shots, you won't be able to think about the peanut gallery or the camera or your classification %, etc.

-rvb

+1. If you're focused on doing everything possible to shoot As and call your shots, you won't be able to think about the peanut gallery or the camera or your classification %, etc.

-rvb

or how fast or how slow you are going

program in the stage, and then let it happen

if you are thinking you way through a stage, talking to yourself in your head whatever then you are slowing yourself down

put a plan together, program it in, and then go on auto pilot and let it happen

Thanks Gentleman! I'm a work in progress...

Practice this week consisted of short and simple drills. Its too hot to really do a lot of running. So I mostly stuck to standing drills. Today I only did trigger control drills. Its amazing how hard it can be to just hold the gun still. Had one 3 shot group inside a plaster at 17yds. I started out with about a 5in group, that dot wouldn't hold still. Working out some grip issues really helped to get smaller groups.

I'm shooting the Indiana match in the morning. I'm not as worked up about this match as I was about Area 5. I'm just going to visualize my stage plan, burn it in until I can remember every target, and drive my dot when the buzzer goes off. I'm going to be patient with the dot and trigger press on steel/difficult shots. Stage plans are going to be efficient and execution will be smooth. I will have a good match because I have prepared for it.

Oh, I made A in Open. We will see about that M card in August.

Edited by CB45

3 shot group inside a plaster at 17yds.

Oh, I made A in Open. We will see about that M card in August.

that's an outstanding group!

And congrats on A-class!

-rvb

Well just got home from the Indiana Section Match. I worked the match. I shot with Staff on Thursday and it was hot and humid. It was almost unbearable. I just had enough energy to finish all 10 stages.

The shooting went pretty good. I finished 3rd A @ 79.9% of Chris K. I'm happy with that.

Thanks Phil!

So I have been thinking about my performance at the IN Match last week. I finally believe I am fast enough. Its just a few little things adding up that is holding me back.

Misses on steel - at least 5.

One late makeup shot - after "if finished" it was real late 4 seconds at least. Oops...

Two fumbled reloads- one didn't really hurt me, but the other one was pretty much a standing reload that took 2 seconds.

So going forward I'm going to work on fundamental and match type skills.

Things to work on:

1. Movement drills with reloads

2. Practice shooting target arrays with varying levels of difficulty with steel, hard cover, & no shoots. Static and on the move.

3. SHO, WHO, and accuracy drills weekly. I think its important to not let that keep you from winning a match.

Edited by CB45

Congrats on the A card!

3. SHO, WHO, and accuracy drills weekly. I think its important to not let that keep you from winning a match.

What are the accuracy drills you do every week? Which do you think are the most beneficial and focus on the most?

So practice yesterday with Chris S. was fun. Man is he quick. We worked mostly on entry/exit on hard left lean. Its tough to do. Chris was mostly just over running the position and waiting too long to get the gun up. We worked on a couple things that really helped get him on target quickly and efficiently.

We worked on shooting drills after that. Wide target and narrow target transitions. Near to far drills. I think it really helped him to realize how to give each shot the attention it deserves.

With just a little practice, he's going to be really good.

Well I took the day off from practice. I reloaded until I ran out of powder and bullets. I've got enough for two weeks (800rds). I've lost count of my round count for the year, I should be around 9,000 between 9, 40, & 45. I'll probably slow down greatly after the Illinois Section Match.

Good news is that I received my HS6 order today and I placed an order yesterday with MG. I'm going to try some 115's with a slower powder to see if I can get my gun to run flatter. I don't mind the way it is now, but change can sometimes be a good thing. When the bullets come in next week, I'll find out.

Tomorrow is FNS. I think I'm going to bring out the SS rig just for fun.

Saturday were setting up at ACC. 4 of the stages I made up, so we'll see how they turn out. They should have lots of options and movement. I'm excited about the Standards Stage. Rob and I put together a speed shoot that is going to be real fun I think, think hero or zero. Dan put together a real high HF stage that should real fun to shoot, think hoser.

Let's see. FNS Friday was fun with the SS gun. It was wierd to line up sights on a gun, Open has me spoiled.

Setup yesterday at ACC was fun. We setup 6 stages and had one left to do this morning.

Shot a decent match today. I had a magazine malfunction today. Lesson learned, clean mags after every match! The shooting was OK. I am going to start working with a technique RVB told me about at the IN section match last week. Basically I need to train my eyes where to look at on the target. I shoot where I'm looking, but I'm not always looking at the right spot in the the target. Anyway, it showed in today's match.

My stages ended up being pretty fun. I am happy about it.

Next match at ACC is going to be a "No" match. This will be fun.

Edited by CB45

Well if my calculations are correct, I should be earning an M card for Open in the August update.

I think I'm going to a GSSF match this weekend. If I can win some glocks, I'll use them in production when I make the switch.

I still have yet to beat the best open shooters in Indiana, so I may stick to open for a while. I'm getting close.

Practice tonight with the glock. The trigger isn't that bad. Grip angle doesn't seem to be an issue with the gen4 backstrap.

I'm excited to try my 115's through my open gun. Made enough for the chrono. 8.9 gr hs-6 @ 1.63. Hope it makes major.

8.9gr HS-6 @ 1.63 = 171F through my open gun. I'm going to make up some more and see how they shoot in drills. Gun feels faster, timer will tell.

Worked some drills with the the glock that a friend has graciously let me shoot. Today was definitely better than yesterday. I was able to actually shoot 2A's on targets at a reasonable pace. Working that trigger was more predictable and subconscious. I was able to call my shots by the end. I think I'll do OK at the GSSF match.

Finished up today with a few runs of 'El Pres'. Totally cold I was at 88%. Subsequent runs were faster, but the points started to drop. I'm happy with that.

Edited by CB45

Well the GSSF match was fun. I did OK, not a winner this time.

Time to get back to OPEN!!! I have a new appreciation for my open gun. I almost have lost the desire to go shoot production. I will reevaluate that decision over the winter.

I'm looking forward to practice this week. Time to get to back to work to accomplish goals I have all already set.