Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CB45 Range Diary

CB45

Scores posted: http://combinedresults.info/index.php/match/7388

Finished 4th overall, behind 3 M's. Not to shabby.

Self reflection moment. I shot 92% available points. That's a first as well. I was ~15 seconds slower then the match winner who shot ~88% points, who is a open GM. He shot limited, just as I did.

I gave up 2 seconds for the 2 makeup shots I took, only needed one of those. I noticed that after I shot an array I would pause before I transitioned to the next part of the stage. This shot calling idea is new, I think I was looking at the targets to long to verify my hits. With confidence, that will stop. Lost at least 5 seconds there. Fumbled the reload on the classifier, that was 1.5 seconds. (Even with that, it was a 62% run, I'm confident that I'll be knocking down 80-70% classifiers by years end.) So that's 8.5 seconds accounted for. The rest is a combination of transition and split times.

Things to do:

1. Begin dry fire with movement

2. Continue dry fire.

Great way to start the year!

Edited by CB45

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picked up open gun. I had a local smith rebarrel to 9mm, lighten slide, and fabricate a slide racker in place of the Jpoint dot.

post-38949-0-54231500-1362670617_thumb.j

Edited by CB45

Test fired the new Open gun. Shoots AWESOME! Got to get a couple things ironed out though before its match ready. Cmore screws, new slide stop plunger detent, and loctite everything down.

This gun is definitely lighter then a stock Trubor. The Trubor felt muzzle heavy, this feels more like a regular 1911. I really like the feel of this gun. It is a little more muzzle heavy then a 5in Eagle, but overall weight feels the same.

Shot FNS last night. Self reflection moment. Sights aren't what you desire to shoot. Why stare at them? I shot the whole match last night using a target focus. Using the sights to point the gun at the plates. I actually shot more accurate. The small plates didn't scare me. When the sights line up, pull the trigger. Bang. Ding. Move on.

I ended up second in limited, 0.6sec behind the winner.

68 seconds to shoot 78 steel targets. I'll take it. Last year my time would have been in the 120 sec range.

Awesome!

Edited by CB45

Went to the Silvercreek match today. Awesome stages. I thought they were challenging. Shot with a little more urgency. Low alpha count reflected it, but that's ok. Body movement was better. My stage breakdown one stage was awful. Learned a lesson on engagement of targets from distance vs moving closer to them. If your already moving, might as well move closer to them. Specifically if there are a lot of targets. I engaged 10 tough targets when I could have walked up three steps and made those shots way easier. Long shots take more time. Always learning!!!

I forgot my holster!!!!!! Big Thank You to the Anderson Shooting team, for helping me out with your spare rig!!!! I felt like one of the team! Thanks!

Amanda from Steel and Lace will be getting my business here in the future.

Won B class in Limited and high B overall Sunday at Silvercreek. 11th overall out of 80 or so. Shot 88% points, about where I thought I was. ~ 10 sec of pace of the match winner. I'm getting closer to where I wanna be. I'll take it.

I switched over my rig to Open. Dry fired last night with it. I'm got a classifier match in 2 weeks. I don't wanna show up and not be able to find the dot!!! Freestyle wasn't to bad, SHO was ok, and WHO is going to need some Refinement and Repetition©. (Credit to Steve Anderson). His stuff works.

Three days of dry fire with the open rig. Gun feels good!!! Working to drive the dot consistently. Its different than iron sights. Right now, I want to work reloads and transition drills. I'm going to bump up my par times tomorrow and focus more on acceptable sight picture. That dot shows everything!!!

Saturday I am shooting SCSA at ACC and Sunday USPSA at Riley. Awesome!

Half way through Saturdays SCSA match ol'Blue started to have hammer follow issues. I ended up replacing the hammer. The hooks were just worn out. Recut the sear and tuned on the sear spring a little. I think it is good to go now.

Sundays USPSA match was cancelled. :( Going to shoot a classifier match this weekend. I just hope I make B.

Half way through Saturdays SCSA match ol'Blue started to have hammer follow issues. I ended up replacing the hammer. The hooks were just worn out. Recut the sear and tuned on the sear spring a little. I think it is good to go now.

Sundays USPSA match was cancelled. :( Going to shoot a classifier match this weekend. I just hope I make B.

Oh you'll get B, no doubt. Probably be knocking on A's doorstep too. You've put in the work.

Classifier match has been moved out until 4-14. Without 9mm bullets to last until then, I'm going to switch my rig over to Single Stack until the classifier. I'll just dry fire the week before really hard to re-learn the index.

Dry fire this week with the open rig has been awesome. I hope to translate that speed over to SS. With 2 solid weeks of dry fire, I'll be aching for a match.

Practice tomorrow...

Wildcat Creek 4-6. : SS

Oxford, Ohio 4-7. : SS

ACC classifier 4-14 : Open

Riley 4-21 : SS, maybe Open for point series.

IN SS/Prd/Rev 4-27&28: SS

Rest of the year : TBD

Edited by CB45

Live fire today with Rob. Got to MTFU!!! The SS front strap checkering is brutal! My hands have become soft from the polymer 2011 grips... 1911 grips felt awkward, dry fire will solve that.

Good day! Beautiful day!

OK. So I worked on the SS gun today. Yesterday I noticed that the action was not as smooth as it use to be. Three things:

1. Disconnector had a couple notches in it where the sear spring pushes on it. This created a hitch in the action when the slide pushed down on the disconnector. Filed and polished the disconnector where it contacts the sear spring.

2. The sear spring was all out of whack. Center leaf was set to hard, and the left leaf was basically not doing anything. Tuned that up. This was also exaggerated the notches in the disconnector. I also polished the center leaf where it contacts the disconnector.

3. I cut a little radius in the slide where it rides over the disconnector.

With all that the action is butter smooth again! Awesome!

Loaded 500 rounds for the limited gun. BBI 180gr 4.8 WST @ 1.175 oal. I will need to chrony that load.

Dry fire went OK today with the SS. My hands hurt. 25lpi checkering sucks. Need to HTFU. Reloads are getting better. Thanks Rob for the tip about tilting the muzzle down a bit. That helped a bunch to make reloading the SS more consistent. Draw is still a work in progress, but its getting more consistent.

Edited by CB45

Self reflection: 2 years ago I never though I would be shooting pistol competitions. I just enjoyed shooting my 1911 at a local steel plate match called Friday Night Steel. I never thought I would be this involved in shooting. I'm on a board of a conservation club in Indy and volunteer regularly for local matches.

A friend gave me some awesome advise about 3 months ago, "be cautious of burnout". I can definitely feel what he was talking about. I am being more selective about what I volunteer for, and shedding some of my responsibilities. It sounds bad, but I have to know my limits. Right now I think it's all balancing fairly well, but I'm also not shooting very much yet.

Tomorrow is a classifier match. Going to classify in Open. Last time I shot a classifier match I didn't care about it, I also didn't practice either. I feel a little pressure to perform well. I've been dry firing a lot since last season and therefore I have expectations to do well. I do realize that I don't have many rounds down range with an open gun. This week I've shot 200 RDS through the gun, trying to learn the recoil response and dot movement. Open is definitely a different beast. I feel way more confident with iron sights, but I think I can find the dot 98% of the time. My plan is to do everything I've been training to do, and pull the trigger when the dots in the A zone. Sounds easy?

Self reflection: 2 years ago I never though I would be shooting pistol competitions. I just enjoyed shooting my 1911 at a local steel plate match called Friday Night Steel. I never thought I would be this involved in shooting. I'm on a board of a conservation club in Indy and volunteer regularly for local matches.

A friend gave me some awesome advise about 3 months ago, "be cautious of burnout". I can definitely feel what he was talking about. I am being more selective about what I volunteer for, and shedding some of my responsibilities. It sounds bad, but I have to know my limits. Right now I think it's all balancing fairly well, but I'm also not shooting very much yet.

Tomorrow is a classifier match. Going to classify in Open. Last time I shot a classifier match I didn't care about it, I also didn't practice either. I feel a little pressure to perform well. I've been dry firing a lot since last season and therefore I have expectations to do well. I do realize that I don't have many rounds down range with an open gun. This week I've shot 200 RDS through the gun, trying to learn the recoil response and dot movement. Open is definitely a different beast. I feel way more confident with iron sights, but I think I can find the dot 98% of the time. My plan is to do everything I've been training to do, and pull the trigger when the dots in the A zone. Sounds easy?

Just easy on the expectation especially going into a classifier match. Just try and be smooth and follow your dot and it will work out fine.

Well I'm sunburnt. Match was fun today. Open is fast!!! Probably a couple B runs today. Shot the match twice due to gun malfunctions. I need to replace the slide stop. Someone trimmed it down and doesn't enguage the detent. That causes it to go upwards and go into slide lock.... frustrating... oh well, we'll see how the results turn out tomorrow.

The best 4 out of 6 average out to about 70%. That's where I wanted to be.

I may shoot a classifer Saturday in SS. Open is going to be sidelined for a couple weeks. Got to get a couple things ironed out.

Went to the range last night with the SS rig. It was fun. Calluses on my hands makes the checkering less painful. Mostly wanted to feel what a non-compensated gun for feels like again. That SS felt slow, and it was. I couldn't break 0.20s splits in Bill Drills. Ah well, guess that's good enough.

Going to dry fire all week. Going to work entry/ exit and transition drills. A sub 1s draw will not win a field course...

Yep bullets came today!! If I can get Bob to get my brass I ordered a while back, I'll be match ready...

The book is going be a read this summer.... that messed with my head!

Sunday's match at Oxford, Oh IWLA went okay.

El Strong & Weak went south on the weak hand string, oh well.

The only mike I could have made up would have me run the gun dry. Looking back, I should have made it up regardless.

2nd Limited, 1st B Limited I think. Good day in the sun.

Going to shoot Open this weekend. Friday is FNS and Sunday is USPSA @ ACC. Going to force myself to get some live and dry fire before. That dot is cantankerous...