Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nice old 1100 or new Mossy or CS

I just started shooting 3-gun this year, and have been shooting a Mossberg 590 pump its great in that it really doesn't care what I feed it or if I clean it but it is not quite as fast to shoot as the autos.

Being cheapfrugal, I was looking at used autos and I see lots of nice old Remington 1100's for about $400 - $500 (and some beat up ratty ones for $300) and that got me thinking is a nice old 1100 better than spending about the same amount on a new Mossberg 930 or CZ 720? I know they all need a little work to be good for the games we play and that doesn't bother me as I like to tinker with stuff anyway.

I know the correct answer is save up more and get a SLP or Benelli But I am really to cheap for that.

What do you think and why?

thanks,

Mike

I don't know why every pheasant hunter in the world can shoot an 1100/11-87 every season for years and not have a problem since almost every time I see one at a match it stops. There's a reason that the Benelli and SLP made up roughly 50% of the guns in limited at the Multigun Nats (see the article in Front Sight). I'd keep shooting the Mossy and save your pennies. BUT, I've never broken into the top 50% of any match so I may not be the one to listen to.

Because dove hunters won't ever try to dump 24 rounds in under 30 seconds. I had an 1100. But they just don't run well for me. Bought a cheaper sx2 ($600) and did most of the work myself. Now it runs 100% and I can load it in 6 seconds. Well worth it

In my book

I have used an 11-87 for years in open and tac -ops. They were built by Jp. If I kept them clean (before every match) I did not have a problem. If you are not going to shoot a lot of matches a year I do not think you will have any problems, but they have to be clean, no exception. I have not 3-guned recently but I recently geared up to start shooting again.

I purchased a Benelli M2 and sent it to Mike @ Accurate Iron. I did not replace my 11-87 because it wasn't reliable I replaced it because I like to buy new guns........ No I ment to say that my 11-87 compared to my buddys Benelli was 2 lbs heavier. (But I do like to buy new guns) :cheers:

Now I just have to get off my butt and start shooting again.

You really can't beat the mossberg right now, compared to any other gun out there right now can't touch it's price for a pretty much ready to 3-gun shotty. I have a 24" JM version and it has really good to me, but so has my SLP for 500 bucks more

Just competed yesterday in a 3 Gun here in MT, used my Mossberg 930 I built this winter, and wouldn't go any different route. For the money, I shot as fast as I possibly could, hit where I aimed, (that does not mean I aimed where I was supposed to) and had zero problems. Acutally loaned it to a shotter who will now pick one up for his games.

The only things I will do now is open up the loading port, my fingers manage to get roughed up a bit, but comparing cost vs benefit, go Mossberg.

Ran 1100/11087s for years, but I maintained them well. You have to realize that the Rems bascially lock open on every shot and then require the latch to trip to chamber the next round. That "lauch and receive" has to be right. I tried the 870 trigger conversion, and it works, but not with the heavier loads. I was all giggles when I went to the SLP, after months of consternation over the "change".

For the beneficial mods, the Moss 930JMs can't be beat, just buy one and be done with it. If you want to be different and spend the same amount of money, you can try a CZ712. IF you go that route, read up on the ATF and 922r restrictions for a foreign shotgun with a high capacity tube and make sure you know what you are doing.

Here is a reference that might help you understand the implications.