Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New M&P Shield 40

michael1778

I recently purchased a new M&P Shield in .40 S&W. I wanted to step up to at least .40 for all my primary concealed carry use instead of 9mm. I'm trying to rationalize all my ammunition purchasing and inventory going forward. This is part of that. I'm totally comfortable with quality 9mm defense ammunition, but have figured out a way to streamline things here at home.

Anyway, I have to say that S&W has a total winner here. I did a function test of 120 rounds through it. Ammunition used was Winchester Ranger 180gr FMJ reduced lead (qty 70) and Winchester Ranger Bonded 180gr (qty 50). I shot 30 rounds of FMJ through my M&P 40 compact for a quick comparison. Accuracy was very good, even exceptional at 10 yards when the shooter is careful. The trigger is good, but different from my factory M&P 40c trigger, so my shooting was unpredictable through the first couple of magazines. I like the trigger reset on the Shield. Also, the Shield was fairly comfortable to shoot. Controllable, comfortable, slim, powerful, and accurate. Those are the hallmarks of a good carry gun, to me.

The 40c and Shield were relatively similar, but I found the 40c slightly more accurate and more consistent; but not my a large margin, over time. They are different answers for different defensive problems, in my opinion.

If you want a slim .40 S&W chambered pistol you should seriously consider it. And if you are dedicated to the M&P pistol platforms like I am, then it's a no brainer. Once you pick up the Shield you will recognize the texture, grip angle, etc. It's thinner, but still very familiar to you. I pocket carry in my summer shorts. Both of my Walther PPS holsters fit the Shield (DeSantis SuperFly and Galco Stow & Go). It's not an accident, the maker's web sites show the same part number for each pistol.

I hope this is a helpful summary for some of you.

-- Mike

Good write up. I'm not sure I could trust the M&P for carry with their striker problems though.

Does anyone know if they have addressed this with the shield?

M&Ps are all I carry. Compete ith some of them too. Collection below (minus the new Shield). Never had a striker problem in any of them.

7043E6B7.jpg

Good write up. I'm not sure I could trust the M&P for carry with their striker problems though.

Does anyone know if they have addressed this with the shield?

They adressed the broken striker issue in all of the guns with the newest revision. It shouldn't be hard to Google up some images of the two to see the differences for yourself.

Much like the original barrel design, there were obvious stress/fracture points present in the original versions. Breakage was inevitable, according to several engineers I know who favor the M&P and have examined the old strikers.

M&Ps are all I carry. Compete ith some of them too. Collection below (minus the new Shield). Never had a striker problem in any of them.

7043E6B7.jpg

Now THAT is a family portrait!! I see a couple of cousins (PPS) and a step-brother (Bodyguard) in that mix also.:ph34r:

Now THAT is a family portrait!! I see a couple of cousins (PPS) and a step-brother (Bodyguard) in that mix also.:ph34r:

Well, the cousins are gone now. Being replaced with Shields. The PPS was the closest thing to the Shield I could find at the time. Got the 9, almost picked up the 40 yesterday. Since I doubt we'll ever see a .380 M&P, I figure the Bodyguard is about as close as I'll get there too.

Well, the cousins are gone now. Being replaced with Shields. The PPS was the closest thing to the Shield I could find at the time. Got the 9, almost picked up the 40 yesterday. Since I doubt we'll ever see a .380 M&P, I figure the Bodyguard is about as close as I'll get there too.

Agreed on the Bodyguard. Do you think you will be able to activate the laser under duress? I would think I'd fumble that part.

My PPS will be put up for sale. Great pistol, but I fear I would not be able to do a reload under stress since it is so different from all my other pistols.

Agreed on the Bodyguard. Do you think you will be able to activate the laser under duress? I would think I'd fumble that part.

Should be able to. I practice it a fair amount and my index finger hits it nicely. Of course at the range that gun will be utilized its not completely a necessity.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the report!

My 40 Shield seems to be running much like yours. With only 150 rounds thru it so far, it has been perfect. Accuracy is very nice. It is a handful for fast splits, but I knew that going in.

After competition shooting over the years, it is obvious that tough shots are tough enough with a full size gun. I think about that every time I carry the Shield. It is a great little pistol, but with its short sight radius it is demanding. A Crimson Trace laser may find its way onto my Shield when they hit the market.