Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers won't feed on my 550

Got my new 550 setup this weekend. Doing great, it does everything right except prime the brass. The primer cup goes into its little home under the primer magazine and returns to the shellplate with NO PRIMER. The primer magazine has primers, the ram or whatever for the early warning is in place, I even put a .45 case on it to add weight. So I think either the primers are sideways in the primer magazine, or the magazine isn't seated properly. I basically just set it into the tube, so can anyone tell me how the bottom end of the magazine works?

Any other ideas? I've tried pulling the primer slide all the way back by hand and it doesn't go any further, I've also tried pulling the little plastic thing at the bottom of the magazine that I presume releases the next primer, I thought perhaps it wasn't traveling back far enough, that didn't change anything.

Other than calling Dillon support, I would try to determine if there is anything stuck inside the feel tube. Also, make sure there isn't anything infront of the primer cup, that might keep it from going all the way back into the primmer feed area. Sounds obvious, but I have had little things get in there that have caused the same problem. You do have it set up for the Large primmers, and not the small, right? Don't want to sound like a smart a$$, but just trying to rule out the litle things that might cause the problem.

It sounds like you don't have the primer tube seated properly. There is a rib on the plastic tip that must fit in a groove. Dissasemble the primer assembly and look from the bottom to insure that the tip seats correctly. Be easy with the plastic tip. It is easy to damage it and it won't work reliably damaged. Also make sure you use the correct size tube/tip combo for large or small primers.

Yes, as recommended, calling Dillon should always be your first default action, if you're having problems. They talk folks through this kind of stuff all day, every day.

I think many might be like me, and don't want to bother them with the call. But I know for sure, they would prefer you call first thing. Especially before sending an email!

be

I'll take a guess at your problem.

Right below where the small white tip goes is a hole for an allen key. This controls how far back the primer slides. Sounds like it might be screwed in to far. If you unscrew it to much the primer slide will go to far back and you'll have primers jumping out of the cup instead of not getting into the cup at all.

Josh

I've had this happen to me. After some head scratching, I realized I was using a small primer cup. I was trying to load large primers. As it turns out, large primers won't fit in the small primer cup.

There you go a little investigation and you figured out the problem. Now all you have to do is find a shrink that would be willing talk to your primer magazine to get past these issues and you can start reloading to your hearts content. Hopefully this will only take one visit I hear those guys are very expensive $$$$$...