Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Way

cardboardkiller

Anyone know of a gunsmith that will build an open gun my way? I have a few things that I am used to and that work for me, but I haven't seen a gunsmith using them on their guns.

Here's the list:

SV Scotts Grip

Aftec Extractor

SV Trigger Group

SV Triple Xcelerated Hammer

AET Barrel

The grip feels good and I've been using one for 2 years.

We all know the Aftec works

I like the inerchangeable trigger to experiment with length and contour

Just looks and they are durable despite what they look like, I've also been using one of these for 2 years.

I've got one in my .40 SV, it feeds, no torque and its accurate.

I don't want to argue over the merits of my choices, they've given me great service, I'm used to them and I want them.

So who can I get to do it?

Price is not much of a concern (young, single and no kids). I have mags, springs, holster, belt, mag pouches, etc. already, I just want a good gun.

My shooting has really fallen off, I'm tired of IDPA, have more fun at USPSA and I want to dedicate myself to the dot. I've owned an open gun before, so I know what I'm getting myself into, but I'm ready to go for it.

My work conflicts with shooting for part of the year, but I have 6 months a year off to shoot and I figure I might as well try to make something of it. I'm quitting smoking, I've adjusted my diet to lose some weight, starting to work out and want to get full bore into shooting like I was a few years ago. It's time for me to crap or get of the pot.

Thanks for any input.

Sorry for the diatribe and I'm not sure if this post needs to be here or 'Gunsmithing'. I apologize if it needs to be moved.

Gabe Kirshberger

How about having SV build it?  If you want it YOUR way?  Their gunbuilder might be the way to go.

Therein lies the problem, they don't offer an Aftec and I don't want an interchangeable breech face on my open gun. I built my current SV on the gunbuilder, I wish more companies had one.

I don't want to drop 3 or 4 grand on a gun and not have it built my way. Why pay that much just to have something that isn't exactly what I want?

Give Chuck Bradley a call at Shooters Connection & inquire about the Bedell Custom guns available. "Shorty's" seem to be the hot ticket, but will also build a 5" if desired.

I've been looking at Bedell's work on Chuck's site and I've heard good things about him, from his work to his turnaround time, his prices are attractive. He might be the fit I've been looking for in a gunsmith if he'll make the couple of changes that I want.

He's pretty high up on my short list.