Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tumbling bullets in a G35

Harmon

Flex, you might be able to help here

recently(last weekend) there was a limited 10 shooter with a fairly new G35. on a couple of his targets he had some really big holes. looked like the bullet took a piece of tape though an existing hole... but one one stage he shot a target no more than 10 yards away and both rounds went in sideways(they were two As though :P ) i saw this and asked what kind of ammo he was shooting...he showed me winchester value pack 165grn 40s...he also said he was looking into buying the gun from his buddy...

I told him to try diff ammo and see if it still keyholes, and if it does its probably barrel time....

i didnt think you could really shooot a glock out..and i wouldnt have figured that one is shot out( the finish is hardly worn at all on the barrel..)

i assume it was a bad lot of bullets in the wincherster ammo, but who knows

normally these things tumble plated bullets with fast powders...not factory rounds,, or do they?

maybe the guy will sell me the glock since its all worn out :lol: i told the guy that was plannin on buying it that the barrel on a 40 glock would be the first thing i changed.

anyone else had factory loads tumble??

bit of thread drift here, but is that KKM 40 in a G20 legal for uspsa? or she just shootin 40s cuz its cheaper?

rulebook says that you cannot change caliber from factory standard. idk if that means you cant or cant change a 10mm glock to a 40 cal glock since glock makes both.

seems the bullets are the cause.

i found a loaded win 40 in my brass bag from the match. pulled it. 164.5 grains. .397 inches... winchester was just a little tardy on 40 caliber that run,

OK, here is my opinion. Winchester "white box" bullets are plated bullets I think. Ranier if I am not mistaken. I have a G35 and Berry's plated and Winchester white box both key hole out of it. Glocks don't like plated bullets. A friend borrowed my G35 to shoot a match and told me that his rounds were key holing at any and all distances. I asked him what he shot out of it. Winchester white box was the answer. I tired more crimp, less crimp, with the Berry's nothing worked. It has to be the plated bullets. To tight a tolerance maybe stripping the plating or something. Try a true jacketed bullet and see. I have had no key holes with any jacketed bullets to date. TXAG

HG,

It is Limited (10) legal. The rule reads a "change of caliber" is not allowed. 10mm and 40S&W are both 0.400 caliber.

You probably can't get away with that in USPSA Production though.

And, yes...for cost and ammo availability. Also, a barrel is cheaper than me switching over my 650 to load 10mm (I'll load for her if she gives me enough advanced notice to do so.)

Had the same problem with my 35. It will keyhole plated bullets from West Coast, Ranier and Berry's. With the stock barrel. It only does it with West Coast when I use a Barsto barrel. My STI also does not like the plated bullets. Just not very accurate with them. The only white box Winchester I have tried were in 9mm and they work great.

Mike

these winchesters were brass jacketed...because brass is an alloy, it cannot be electroplated..

they looke lot like the MG bullets, but i doubt winchester is paying someone else to make bullets THEY can make.

who knows,/

that 40/10mm sounds neat.. especially since 40 brass is about 8 dollars a thousand. 10mm brass once fired is kinda hard to find.

i have always liked the big boy glock 10 and 45s, others hate them... but they have girlish hands.

limited Glock 40s are cool too.

im stayin away from winchester white bx ammo in my glock.

FWIW I use Berry's 9mm JHP (Plated) in my open gun and they don't keyhole, even at 1350fps. I zero at 40 yards and they all are nice, round holes. I'd suggest trying a different brand to see if that eliminates the problem.

I had some keyhole problems for a while out of my G35. But, it was only with some commercially reloaded ammo. I guess problems can come from too tight of a crimp or powder problems.

I now have a kkm barrel and am using factory Winchester white box in both 165 and 180 grain without any problems.

my Glock 9mm steel loads consist of 95 grain plated rainier bullets at 1300 fps...they shoot good and accurate....also plenty snappy...

I have never had a keyhole out of my Glock, and i shoot almost only plated bullets...very few jacketed ones spin from my barrel.

That cheap blazer ammo is even plated(even though it says FMJ its plated TMJ) in the 9mm anyways.

most of the glock tumbling issues i have seen come from fast powders at max pressure.. titegroup and plated bullets being the worst .

maybe glock will start putting conventionally rifled barrels with match chambers in their competition guns,, one can only wish.

Flex, I have never had a reason, or need, to drive handgun bullets that fast. I shoot the heavy bullets for softer recoil. My USPSA major PF load runs 940-950 fps. I drop that down to 790-800 fps for IDPA. Funny but the gun feels about the same in SSP form vs Limited. I guess the tungsten guide rod, brass well and 20 round mags help soak up the recoil.

The G34 load that my wife shoots is 900-910 fps with the 147 bullet.

On another note my major pf load has slightly more recoil than my carry load. The 180 gr Ranger Talons shoot very soft. I cannot think of a better carry round.

I can't refute the experience of other's concerning plated bullets, however my personal experience has been that berry's and west coast run very well in my G35 all the way to 1050 fps. The only reason I say this is that there may be some other causation of the keyholing that is being masked when a switch to jacketed bullets takes place.