Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 tips?

got a 1050 ordered slated to arrive in 3 days. sold my 650 after 2 years as had back surgery last year and the 650 seats the primer on the upstroke, compressing my lower discs. loaded for less than an hour the other day and had to miss work the next day. will be loading for 45acp and 40 cal. any tips etc appreciated. thanks

im new to my 1050 too. i haven't touched the 1050s priming system but I heard its not a 'quick' change unless you are loading SPP on your 45. One thing im glad about is the RF100. It helps big time.

Go to the FAQ section on the Dillon reloading area here. Lots of reading about 1050s. Take the time to read it all. It is an incredible machine, but you need to understand how it works.

Good luck and enjoy!

Doug

Please don't say you intend to claim the 1050 as a medical expense because that would piss off just about everyone here. :rolleyes:

why not??? the ol' lady believed it! and i think it could become a new selling point for dillon. and if dillon uses this, i want another 1050. free. for a start.

won't get here till tomorrow but questions already:

when the primer tube is loaded but not used as in no case at that station is the primer kicked out like in the 650 or does it remain in the slide and is retracted back on the upstroke.

will the powder bars/hoppers from the 650 fit the 1050?

when loading mixed brass ie military/commercial will the swaging bar ever open up a commercial pocket too far and make it loose or under do a military case where the primer won't fit in properly.

and yes i went to the FAQ section. learned a lot.

#1 the primer stays in the slide and gets used the next time there is a case there.

#2 The powder measures are exactly the same so any parts from one on a 650 will work on the 1050.

#3 I use a mix of crimped and non-crimped brass and have never had any problem with a primer pocket getting opened too much.

Brian

Read all the FAQ's recommended while you wait in the arrival.

One of the things you will find is a need for a stable base. I had to add a 2x6 to my already sturdy bench to solve my priming issues.

Let us know how it goes. Lots of great information here.

thanks for the replys. my bench is my from my weight lifting days that held all the plates and dumbbells. 4x4s, reinforced w/ 2x4s, lagged to the wall. shelves currently hold approx. 20,000 + bullets etc etc waiting being stuffed. maybe 5,000 loaded rds in 50 cal ammo cans so, sturdiness won't be an issue. its solid. still waiting to hear from dillon on my marketing idea for the 1050.

Edited by chainsaw

thanks for the replys. my bench is my from my weight lifting days that held all the plates and dumbbells. 4x4s, reinforced w/ 2x4s, lagged to the wall. shelves currently hold approx. 20,000 + bullets etc etc waiting being stuffed. maybe 5,000 loaded rds in 50 cal ammo cans so, sturdiness won't be an issue. its solid. still waiting to hear from dillon on my marketing idea for the 1050.

what is your marketing idea? Best I can tell the 1050 sells itself.

ok....machine got here around 1:30 and by 3:30 was loading some lead RN 45acp for practice. as much as i liked my 650 all i can say is WOW. no comparison. had a coupla WTF moments trying to figure out the bin mounting brackets to the casefeeder post, and was seating primers high. simple adj. on that and seats good now. this is like driving a tank compared to a go kart. me and my bad back love it. but i STILL catch myself pushing hard on the handle to seat the primers. old habits!!

You know, those 1050's can load ammo in a hurry. I wouldn't want you to wear out your wrist or fingers handling those slippery little bullets. I think you should add a kiss/mr bulletfeeder to yours :D I bought a 1050 and bullet feeder just to load 9mm for competition. Three of us use this machine.....well I use it a lot and three of us shoot. Sometimes one of us will crank the handle like a monkey and the others will load primer tubes and case gauge ammo. I can hit a cyclic rate of 2000 rounds per hour, but I can't keep that up for more than a couple hundred rounds. I also have neck and back issues. The 1050 takes a little force going down, probably due to forcing a rod into the primer pocket, but it sure beats using the 550 (with casefeeder).

i really hope someday i can justify adding a bullet feeder! but i am slated to retire in sept after 27 yrs w/the state and my income will be reduced a bunch. then again, i was offered another job today for after i retire. my goal was to someday own a 1050. now its to be able to shoot enough to justify feeding it!