Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I fix a loose front sight

Blank Zero

Hello all,

After my practice session today, I come to realize that my front sight is loose and about to come off. How do I fix it? My gun is a limcat limited.

Thank you so much in advance for all your help and advice.

Andy

The front sight should usually be tight enough to require a punch and a small amount of tapping to set in place, along with red loctite to hold inplace. If yours is loose to where you can wiggle with your fingers, you could try green loctite, but you might want to invest in a new front sight and have a gunsmith fit so it won't loosen up again.

One note, if you try the green loctite (or equivalent), be sure to clean REALLY REALLY well, and let it setup/dry for at least a day, longer if you can.

Jesus, don't use green unless you don't want to get it out without heat. Clean both surfaces with solvent (acetone, brake clean whatever), Then place a small amount of RED loctite on the sights. Purple is for small fasteners but between cleaning solvents and heat purple and blue break down quickly. (blue being medium strength). Red should hold it, but if you want to take it apart you still can. The dovetail fit should slide about 1/2 way with hand pressure and should have a slight press fit and should be able to tap it in and out with a small ALUMINUM punch with the red loctite (or permatex, just make sure it's not more than 6 months old).

Hope this helps

Jesus, don't use green unless you don't want to get it out without heat. Clean both surfaces with solvent (acetone, brake clean whatever), Then place a small amount of RED loctite on the sights. Purple is for small fasteners but between cleaning solvents and heat purple and blue break down quickly. (blue being medium strength). Red should hold it, but if you want to take it apart you still can. The dovetail fit should slide about 1/2 way with hand pressure and should have a slight press fit and should be able to tap it in and out with a small ALUMINUM punch with the red loctite (or permatex, just make sure it's not more than 6 months old).

Hope this helps

Red loctite takes the same heat to remove as Green. The difference is that green is for assembled parts. Dawson recommends green.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I too used loctite and cleaned the surfaces of the sight and the slide prior to install. After a few thousand more rounds with the heat and the recoil, my front sight was back to being like an eight year olds tooth. Loctite was no solution for a poorly fitted sight (too much material taken off the sight).

I say get a new sight and start over.