Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up a 930 for 3 Gun

JP5

Ok guys, been following the 930 posts now for quite some time. I have pretty much decided on a 930 as an upgrade for my 590. I was going to save my coins and get a Jerry version, but it seems like every time they come in stock they are gone soon thereafter or are marked up significantly. I saw a used 930 with 28" ported barrel at a local shop for $330 out the door, might be able to get it down to $300, I know I need to add an extended mag, barrel clamp, and get the barrel shortened and threaded (it seems around $150 is the going rate for the barrel work, either locally or including shipping to get it done). Either way it seems like I am around the $500 range all said and done. Should I jump on this gone or wait for the Jerry's to come back in stock.

Thanks,

Jeremy

The main reason I would go for the JM is the coating on the mag tube. It might, might make a difference in the function of a really dirty gun. I think would be hard pressed to beat the JM price with an eual amount of work and parts. If the JM is not setup the way you wnat it then it may cost more in the end.

David E.

David,

Thanks, I know right out of the box the JM seems the best bang for the buck, and from my limited experience with it, I am pretty sure I wouldn't change anything, at least not right off the bat. Also, if I do go pick this 930 up, what should I look for in a used 930? The trigger group seemed tight, there was little to no wear, and the action cycled smooth. Anything else I should look at short of shooting it (not possible).

Thanks again,

Don't forget to factor in beveling the loading port, trimming the forearm and perhaps some lifter work. You will see what you need when you try to load it ;) You also may want to use a different front sight. And then there is the barrel clamp and larger bolt handle...

Later,

Chuck

Yeah, I read about opening the loading port and trimming the back of the handguard to make loading shells easier also the lifter and bolt handle. I figure all told I'd be putting another $300 into the shotgun to be ready for 3 gun so about even with a brand new JM whenever they start staying on the shelves. I dunno, I'll see if it's there in a week, and if so I may go get it to give me something to do.

I'll post something if I decide to make something of it.

Jeremy

Don't know were you are looking?? but.... a couple of phone calls should find you one (Bud's,/Gun Source/etc.) My buddy just got one from Bud's.... Price wasn't bad... He paid by electronic check and saved the 3%. I got mine (21"). with no hassle 2 months ago (Buds)...used the CC...I bought a 28" vented barrel from this Forum and the Nordic +8 tube... I can shoot "open" ala Flanigan if I want... Get the xxl extention cap... gives you another round w/ no changes reqed. THEY ARE OUT THERE ... I THINK THE PHONE IS YOUR BEST BET..

what should I look for in a used 930

I'm not an expert but if it hasn't been modified (home gunsmithing) then not much else to look for. If it's from a gunshop, many have a short warrenty period even on used guns.

I'm not sure how much the JM loading port is "ported" but it may need further work.

After having modified a 24" turkey, I would buy the JM (the longer barrel/mag tube version) if I had to do it now (factory warrenty).

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

I think it depends upon how fast and how much you want to pay for a JM version. Friend just bought a 22" JM for $600 which is a great price. Shop isn't sure when they will get another. Last week I bought a new 930 Waterfowl for $400. Barrel has been sent to GunCat and for $90 he is cutting it back to 24", threading for the choke tube, reinstalling the front sight and that includes return shipping. Have ordered a +5 Nordic extension and barrel clamp from Midway. By this time I will be into the gun for about the same as what my friend paid for his.

I will need to open up loading port which I don't mind doing at all. And I will weld up the lifter. Still trying to figure out what I want to do with the bolt handle so will have some additional cost there.

I noticed on the JM version that the port is opened up but there were two very sharp points where the pivot pin for the bolt release is at. Just a little rounding over there will fix that. Also saw that there was no relief cut made at the front of the loading port over the mag tube. From what I have seen on pictures here that looks like a good way to ensure getting the shells into the mag tube more easily. And what probably surprised me the most is the lifter is just like on the other 930s. Thought that would be extended so not to be a thumb catcher.

If you look around as suggested you can probably find a JM version. Question is what will it sell for and how long before they are more readily available (which should get the price back down)? Last one I followed on Gunbroker (closed last week) went for $755.

Thanks guys,

I am going on a business trip for a week, if the 930 is there in the shop when I get back and I can't find a JM for under $650, I'll probably pick it up and send the barrel to Guncat. I emailed him and got pretty much the same quote above except I added forcing cone work (figured I might as well while I have it out). I figure $650 is reasonable, when they were in stock in places thats about what they were going for, now some enterprising individuals are getting more for them off auction sights (I watched that auction too). Just wanted to see what people were picking up used 930's for and if anything to look out for before buying it.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

By this time I will be into the gun for about the same as what my friend paid for his.

But you still won't have the coated mag tube nor hard chromed internals. If I wanted to hunt with a 930, I would get a JM and take off the extension.

Looks like the mag tube is coated, the hammer and perhaps other trigger components. Is the bolt or other parts coated? Couldn't tell that they were when looking at the JM version.

How much of a difference will that really make? Seems it it like getting the BCG on an AR hard chromed, can help with cleaning but may not necessarily add to amount of shooting between cleaning and life of the gun.

From my perspective it still comes to down to how much effort to find the gun and how long would it take. Here in SE Idaho there are 5 to maybe 6 shops at most within a 75 mile radius that might have a JM version. If a person is willing to wait to find the JM version and perhaps pay a premium that is up to them. If you don't want to wait, you can get an almost identical gun with a little work in ordering parts and having some barrel work done.

No FFL that will accept guns you order? Pawn shop with FFL? Lots of options most places and the guns are cheap enough online to cover shipping if your local FFL cannot get one on order. Another thread here was listing some online sources who have been consistently getting the JM versions.

I've got plenty of FFL's that I could transfer to. That's not the problem. I just couldn't find any, any time somewhere had them in stock by the time I went to make a purchase, they were gone or they were on an auction site for what I thought was significant markup. However, I just found out budsgunshop has at least one in, and so I bought one, I took everyone's advice. I guess I owe ya'll some thanks for not going thru with an impulse buy and helping me avoid another project gun...

Cheers,

Jeremy

I've got plenty of FFL's that I could transfer to. That's not the problem. I just couldn't find any, any time somewhere had them in stock by the time I went to make a purchase, they were gone or they were on an auction site for what I thought was significant markup. However, I just found out budsgunshop has at least one in, and so I bought one, I took everyone's advice. I guess I owe ya'll some thanks for not going thru with an impulse buy and helping me avoid another project gun...

Cheers,

Jeremy

Check tactical defense solutions, I picked mine up from there a few weeks ago. I don't have the link so Google the name