Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnet in the pocket

mcoliver

One thing about reading the rules is that I can't seem to retain the info after 5 mins of reading it. <_<

Our local match designers love table starts, and sometimes require that gun and mags be put in a drawer or table. While watching the Burner tape last night, I came across his 'magnet' technique, where he puts the magnet in his pocket and sticks his spare mag to it. I found it a great idea and could potentially save some time off instead of hunting for that small mag pouch opening.

But now I gotta ask, is this legal under the current IPSC ruling?

Thanks.

But now I gotta ask, is this legal under the current IPSC ruling?

For now there's nothing against it, but we're currently working on new rules to deal with magnets. However we're having major arguments about whether we should concern ourselves with a magnet's polarity, and the implications of magnetic north versus true north. Then there's the matter of how we should measure their electro-magnetic radiation at chrono, due to the possibility of interference with timers, not to mention the pace-makers worn by many ROs.

Finally, what should we do if the metal plate in an RO's hip attracts the magnet and causes the magazine to fall? Would this be "interference" which would justify a reshoot? It's an extremely complex issue.

OK, I'm done being a smart-ass now. I just want to say one word:

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

The way to go would be with an electromagnet. You could mount the bulk of it on the back of your belt and just have a couple of plates sewn into the front of your pants. You'll need to make sure your wires are long enough or.... or you could just grab the damn mags, stuff them in your pocket and go! :wacko::D

-ld

I have tried the technique with a strong electromagnet and saw 2 problems with it: 1. The extension cord to plug into an outlet sometimes, depending on range facilities, has to be several 100 m long. Very heavy, and a stumbling hazard. 2. Once, my entire gun was pulled onto the magnet, leading to a stage zero.

--Detlef

:D:D:D:D:D:D

This is a joke, right???? Let's move it to the Humor section...

All the bs and rules stuff aside, I've got a pretty good sized shop magnet on my bench so I put 18 rds of 40 in a sti mag and stuck it to it. I do'nt think you could make two steps with it. If you are barefoot kind of hard on the little toes. Larry

Teeheehehe, c'mon guys, it's a serious question... :D

I can vaguely remember about rules on equipment not being able to change something mid match. So if I can assume the magnet is part of my equipment and declare it as such during the check, I'm good to go? :unsure:

...seriously... :)

And maybe it'll work better for singlestack mags (didn't think about the weight issue of hi-cap 40's). I'll wait for my new flame suit to arrive before I post it over in the IDPA forum. :lol:

McOliver,

1. OK, Pare, no more tuba for you! :D

2. If your question about the magnet is serious, then my serious answer is "No", a magnet in your pocket would not fall under the provisions of:

5.2.5.3 Unless specified in the written stage briefing, or unless required by a Range Officer, the position of holsters and allied equipment must not be moved or changed by a competitor during a match. If a retaining strap is attached to a holster, it must be applied or closed prior to issuance of the "Standby" command (see Rule 8.3.3).

-:and "allied equipment" means magazine pouches or speed loader carriers. Remember that you're not required to have all your pouches loaded with a magazine at all times - the rule only deals with their "position" on your belt.

And for those of you who might be tempted to hijack this thread to tell me again that you don't agree with Rule 5.2.5.3, please don't. The subject of this thread is the legality of magnets.

And maybe it'll work better for singlestack mags (didn't think about the weight issue of hi-cap 40's).  I'll wait for my new flame suit to arrive before I post it over in the IDPA forum.  :lol:

We don't need no stinkin' magnets in IDPA! It can't be fair because my plastic, non-metal lined squirt pistol mags would not stick, high cap or not. :P

geezer

My personal philosophy is that IPSC/USPSA is all about freestyle problem solving.

The more it's freestyle...the more that supports innovation.

If magnets for mag holders ends up working...that may be the next thing that progresses our sport. Or not. ;)

Innovate.

Adapt.

Overcome.

My personal philosophy is that IPSC/USPSA is all about freestyle problem solving. The more it's freestyle...the more that supports innovation. If magnets for mag holders ends up working...that may be the next thing that progresses our sport.  Or not.  ;)

The term "freestyle" (as used in IPSC) means "giving competitors multiple options to shoot a COF" - it doesn't mean "free-for-all" with equipment. If it did, we'd have belt-fed magazines, double-barreled handguns (one pull of the trigger gives you "snake eyes") etc.

Having said that, magnets don't bother me, but I'd like to see the size of a magnet which can hold a fully loaded 21 round magazine while a competitor is running.

If it did, we'd have belt-fed magazines, double-barreled handguns (one pull of the trigger gives you "snake eyes") etc.

Ummm, yeah. So? What's your point? ;):)

I'd say that is all good stuff. If, and only if, it proves more practical. The measure is points per second. Go get'um.

If a magnet in your shorts proves to be the best way...have at it. We just learned something. If you try it and your mag falls into a puddle...well, we've learned something there too. :D

If I puff any harder, I'll give birth to a liver and two kidneys

You still have a liver? <_< RO'ing tends to destroy stuff like that :P

Back to topic: And you start with problems like "must be behind hip bone"....