Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Accuracy Bullet/Load for Factory Barrel?

My Glock 34 with a stock barrel wasn't doing so hot at 50 yards with 115 Precison Delta and TG. On paper it was all over the place at 50 yards.

Maybe it's me. But maybe it's not me. I regulary can hit a 12" steel round plate @ 50 ~8/10 shots with my 6" SVI offhand using the same load.

Before I get a new barrel for my G34 I want to see if it is the bullet/load. Using a stock G17/34 barrel, which bullets and/or loads have you guys found to perform well at 50+ yards?

A glock 34 is a great gun but it is a combat gun not 6" svi or a bulls eye gun. It is made to run 100% reliable which I would take over a Little better accuracy. That being said, bullets can make a difference and not all loads will work the same in every gun. Try some 135gr and 147 gr bullets. I like 147gr Bayou bullets with 3.2gr of TG. Do you shoot 50 yard in a match?

Do you shoot 50 yard in a match?

I mostly shoot 3 gun. We shoot a number of "technical" targets that are costly if you don't hit it.

Two matches ago we had a ~50 yard pistol target (bonus) that was probably about 6".

Right now I'm preparing for Ironman. For that match "technical" shots are common. With pistol it is common to have... clays at 50-60 feet... hanging tennis ball at 50-60 feet... 90-100 yard IPSC steel... 100-150 yard MGM flashers... 3" steel targets... etc. Of course the MD f's with the shooter and those shots are towards the end of 4-8 minute long stage.

The pistol has to perform decently at 50 yards. Unfortunately my wrists are currently messed up and for whatever reason the G34 is less painful to shoot than my regular pistol (the SVI). I'd rather shoot my G34 but this particular gun's accuracy at 50 yards is awful.

So you have tried 115's and have found that 135's and 140's shoot better in the stock barrel?

In my m&p 5" I do like the 135 and 147 the best. For the "technical" shots that you will be taking, it wouldn't hurt to put in a better barrel anyway. You might also try some different loads. I think the 147 has a softer recoil so that might be a good benefit for your wrists. My friend has a glock 34 and added a tungsten guide rod and one of the heaviest magwells he could find. It made the gun significantly heavier, which also helped with perceived recoil. I am pretty sure that the people shooting for team glock also run 147 grain bullets out of their guns.

For 50 yards, one of the best loads I've found is:

115 gr Hornady XTP JHP over 4.8 gr. N330 in Starline brass with a ~1.080 OAL.

Runs better in a slower twist barrel vs. a Glock factory barrel, but it's no slouch in either.

Edited by mizer67

IN9147

IN9147-1054

9MM 147GR JHP G Match

Using a Zero bullet and Starline brass, this is designed to make minor power factor. This ammo was originally designed for the Glock shooting team, and is also used by the AMU Action Pistol Team. If you are shooting a production class or any type of shooting where a minor power factor is desired, this is the ammo of choice.

Glock Shooting Team

USAMU Action Pistol Team

Atlanta Arms & Ammo (1-770-464-2203-Stacy-see web)loads for Team Glock & AMU Team. In 9mm match they load 147gr to MINOR PF. 880fps & 264ftlbs. Very soft shooting and on the extreme end of accuracy. They load new and once fired brass. I'm sure Team Glock uses new brass!

With the std Glock barrel you will get better accuiracy with .356" bullets like the Hornady HAP 121 or 125's or the Zero #161 125gr JHP. Those two bullets have consistently shot the best groups in std glock barrels in every Glock I have group tested. In my extensive tests from a rest the powder that grouped the best at minor power factor velocities was

Accurate #2. I have shot alot of VN320 but it did not group as well, nor did Titegroup. WW231 was a close second but is not quite as clean or as soft at the same velocity. If you want to try the load I use: 3.9Grs. of AA#2, Fed or Win SP primer, OAL=1.130". Chrono's @ 1040 FPS (130PF) out of my 34. You will be pleasently surprised. The bullet makes a much larger difference in Glock barrels than it does in others.(I also shoot Springfield XD's)

That load also happens to be the most accurate in my XD9 Tactical but the difference is much smaller and I can substitute an MG or PD (.355") bullet and still get very tight groups :cheers:

I also found that Titegroup wasn't so accurate, unless the load was at 135 to 140 PF, then things got a little tighter. But who want's to shoot 135 to 140 PF? Not me.

Edited by Red Ryder