Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reaming a 223 chamber to Wylde

tk4

Yes, if your tool is long enough... But, it's a silly thing to do.

I have a bunch of XM193 556 ammo, and I broke a bolt in this upper using the xm193 at a major rifle match last year. I would also like to be able to get a little more

velocity out of my 68gr reloads using 2230 powder. Accurate Arms lists 23.1gr as a max for 223 chambers, but 24 as a max for chambers rated for 556 ammo using a 69gr bullet.

Where can I get a long tool to do this? If this is a bad idea, please explain why?

It has a Clark carbon fiber handguard that is rubber cemented on. I was told it would be very difficult to remove, and probably ruin the handguard.

Hmmm... Well usually with a clark you pull the gas block and use a strap wrench on the handguard... In my experience either the whole thing unscrewes (tube and nut in one piece) or the glue fails. Then you remove the tube then use the strap wrench on the barrel nut.

Edited by caspian guy

I have a bunch of XM193 556 ammo, and I broke a bolt in this upper using the xm193 at a major rifle match last year. I would also like to be able to get a little more

velocity out of my 68gr reloads using 2230 powder. Accurate Arms lists 23.1gr as a max for 223 chambers, but 24 as a max for chambers rated for 556 ammo using a 69gr bullet.

Where can I get a long tool to do this? If this is a bad idea, please explain why?

The 5.56 has a sloppy throat area with a long leade, that is what allows you to shoot more powder. The bullet doesn't contact the rifling or anything tight as quickly, which reduces the pressure. This is fine for 55 gr. FMJ bullets that you are not looking to get great accuracy out of. However, if you also plan on shooting match bullets, your accuracy will probably suffer. I would not do it! Also, trying to ream the chamber/throat area without having the barrel mounted solidly in a lathe will make it very difficult getting the depth right. If you push the reamer in too far and cut the shoulder deeper, you could ruin the barrel. In my opinion you would be ruining what may be a nice rifle just by converting a Wilde chamber to 5.56!

Mike

The 5.56 has a sloppy throat area with a long leade, that is what allows you to shoot more powder. The bullet doesn't contact the rifling or anything tight as quickly, which reduces the pressure. This is fine for 55 gr. FMJ bullets that you are not looking to get great accuracy out of. However, if you also plan on shooting match bullets, your accuracy will probably suffer. I would not do it! Also, trying to ream the chamber/throat area without having the barrel mounted solidly in a lathe will make it very difficult getting the depth right. If you push the reamer in too far and cut the shoulder deeper, you could ruin the barrel. In my opinion you would be ruining what may be a nice rifle just by converting a Wilde chamber to 5.56!

Mike

Thanks for all the info guys.

It is a 223 chamber not Wylde. I guess I would probably be better off selling the upper and building what I want.

You should be able to get the hand guard off by using a strap wrench like caspian guy said. After that you could either get the current barrel reamed or just replace it with a 5.56 barrel.