Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Typo or Really Good Deal ?

captray

Ethics either you have them or you don’t. I have never allowed a scorer to count an oblong hole as a double when I knew the shot was not on target. I have also corrected the bill at a restaurant when I was under charged. You can’t have ethics when they are convenient. We play in an industry with low margins for the final seller and as stated above in constant jeopardy with our rights to be taken away. We all need to be “stand-up guys”. Be the bigger man and do the right thing to forgive someone who made an honest mistake. You even suspected it before you tried purchase it.

well put.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oak Hill Enterprises (www.oakhillenterprises.com) is offering subject gun (this AM) for $2,299.00 vs normally advertised price of $3,299 and

MSRP of $3,650.00. I have one already or I would pursue myself.

Ray

It was EXACTLY $1,000 less than the normally advertised price and $1350 less than MSRP. I don't see any way someone could think it was a valid price. Honestly though, that really isn't the point. Taking advantage of someone else's mistake is just plain wrong. Just my opinion.

Ethics either you have them or you don’t. I have never allowed a scorer to count an oblong hole as a double when I knew the shot was not on target. I have also corrected the bill at a restaurant when I was under charged. You can’t have ethics when they are convenient. We play in an industry with low margins for the final seller and as stated above in constant jeopardy with our rights to be taken away. We all need to be “stand-up guys”. Be the bigger man and do the right thing to forgive someone who made an honest mistake. You even suspected it before you tried purchase it.

well put.

There it is. Plain and simple.

Ethics either you have them or you don’t. I have never allowed a scorer to count an oblong hole as a double when I knew the shot was not on target. I have also corrected the bill at a restaurant when I was under charged. You can’t have ethics when they are convenient. We play in an industry with low margins for the final seller and as stated above in constant jeopardy with our rights to be taken away. We all need to be “stand-up guys”. Be the bigger man and do the right thing to forgive someone who made an honest mistake. You even suspected it before you tried to purchase it.

Ah, yes. The ever lovely, ad hominem, "if you don't think exactly what I do, you're a bad person" argument.

Studies show that repeated blows to the head—say from falling off of high horses—can lead to memory loss.

And Mitch, how was anyone to know it was exactly $1000 less than the normally advertised price? The gun that's listed was $1000 less yesterday. There were no others.

Ethics either you have them or you dont. I have never allowed a scorer to count an oblong hole as a double when I knew the shot was not on target. I have also corrected the bill at a restaurant when I was under charged. You cant have ethics when they are convenient. We play in an industry with low margins for the final seller and as stated above in constant jeopardy with our rights to be taken away. We all need to be stand-up guys. Be the bigger man and do the right thing to forgive someone who made an honest mistake. You even suspected it before you tried to purchase it.

Ah, yes. The ever lovely, ad hominem, "if you don't think exactly what I do, you're a bad person" argument.

Studies show that repeated blows to the headsay from falling off of high horsescan lead to memory loss.

And Mitch, how was anyone to know it was exactly $1000 less than the normally advertised price? The gun that's listed was $1000 less yesterday. There were no others.

the point is, AFTER the buyer has discovered it was an honest mistake, the high road would be to NOT force the seller to honor it, nor slander his name as a reputable seller.

Is it mandatory that you be reasonable? no. If the attempted buyer presses the issue, he should by all rights be able to purchase the gun at the advertised price as per that website's rules. Do i think it's the reasonable and honorable thing to do? no.

EDIT: is it my job to force people to follow my personal code of conduct? no. :cheers:

Edited by theycallmeingot

Ethics either you have them or you don’t. I have never allowed a scorer to count an oblong hole as a double when I knew the shot was not on target. I have also corrected the bill at a restaurant when I was under charged. You can’t have ethics when they are convenient. We play in an industry with low margins for the final seller and as stated above in constant jeopardy with our rights to be taken away. We all need to be “stand-up guys”. Be the bigger man and do the right thing to forgive someone who made an honest mistake. You even suspected it before you tried to purchase it.

Studies show that repeated blows to the head—say from falling off of high horses—can lead to memory loss.

My father and mentor taught me to do the right thing always. I have never prescribed to the "if you don't think exactly what I do, you're a bad person", no I follow the morals and ethics set forth by my father and our FATHER. I am not perfect so I can see others will not be that way either.

I would say the exact same thing. It has absolutely nothing to do with the nature of the business. I might be in the minority, but my sense of fair play tells me not to take advantage of another persons mistake.

Is it fair play that the seller puts down a price (mistake or not, we don't know) and when you want to purchase it, says its the wrong price and takes it back? As far as we knew, that price of a product on display is the price of the product. If I go into any place of business and see something I want at the price that is right to me, that's what I expect. I don't expect for the shop keeper to tell me he made a mistake and the price is something higher.

Taking advantage of someone else's mistake is just plain wrong.

So, if you're vying for High Overall against someone and the points are real close, you gonna let them reshoot a bad stage because they made a mistake?

I would say the exact same thing. It has absolutely nothing to do with the nature of the business. I might be in the minority, but my sense of fair play tells me not to take advantage of another persons mistake.

Is it fair play that the seller puts down a price (mistake or not, we don't know) and when you want to purchase it, says its the wrong price and takes it back? As far as we knew, that price of a product on display is the price of the product. If I go into any place of business and see something I want at the price that is right to me, that's what I expect. I don't expect for the shop keeper to tell me he made a mistake and the price is something higher.

i'm sure he's getting rich "almost" selling guns to people. it's not like he made him pay full price last minute... he canceled the sale, period, due to the obvious (to i'm sure everyone here reading) typo.

I'm just going off the information in the original post which the purchaser used to make the purchase.

My mistake. :cheers:

The issue I have is that all the onus is being put on the buyer for "taking advantage". A $1000 mistake is a big one, no doubt, but retailers have a pretty simple job in that respect: CYA.

Frankly, I think the resolution should be something along the lines of: "Dang, I screwed up listing it at that price & can't afford to sell it for that much. Can we work something out so I'm not completely hosed?"

The whole "you sonuvabitch, you're trying to f*#k me/the seller" attitude that seems to be coming off of some folks is what I take issue with.

Maybe it was a typo. Per the terms stated, it was the seller's responsibility not the buyers to proof read the ad and ensure it was accurate.

But when Oakhill delivered a confirmation, it indicated agreement with the contract.

And why would you not consider it ethical to require someone honor the terms of a contract?

I have also corrected a bill that had an obvious mistake. But once I have paid the bill, can the seller come back and indicate additional errors expecting additional payment?

Depending on how this turns out, Guns America may be off my watch list as will Oak Hill Enterprises.

That's just me. Others can do what they wish.

Bill

i'm sure he's getting rich "almost" selling guns to people. it's not like he made him pay full price last minute... he canceled the sale, period, due to the obvious (to i'm sure everyone here reading) typo.

In the common sense aspect, it was a typo to all of us, but in the market place, the buyer paid the documented asking price. The question of fair play is moot because the item was offered at a specified price. Typo or not, the buyer doesn't know.

So, if you're vying for High Overall against someone and the points are real close, you gonna let them reshoot a bad stage because they made a mistake?

You going to take a win because the scorer made a mistake that you know about and no one else does?

Of course not. You are comparing apples to oranges.

You going to take a win because the scorer made a mistake that you know about and no one else does?

Just this last weekend I argued with an RO cuz he gave me a Delta when it should have been a Mike. I engaged the target once and someone hadn't pasted the Delta hit from the previous shooter. I don't want something I didn't earn. Or, to put things back into perspective, I don't want someone to honor a price that is so obviously a mistake to their detriment.

Im not talking about the scorer. I am talking about another shooter making a mistake (bad reload, noshoot, mike, whatever) and losing. We would not be as sympathetic because they did it themselves.

Just this last weekend I argued with an RO cuz he gave me a Delta when it should have been a Mike. I engaged the target once and someone hadn't pasted the Delta hit from the previous shooter. I don't want something I didn't earn. Or, to put things back into perspective, I don't want someone to honor a price that is so obviously a mistake to their detriment.

Good for you for being honorable, but this is not about honor or ethics. This is about buying a product at a specified price and then being told you can't get it because the price was wrong and the seller retracts a confirmation. The way I see it, the seller had 2 different times to make sure of the price, once when posting the item, once after a buyer bought it and they sent out a confirmation. The seller really needs to honor this.

I just ordered a Brazos HP Edge. I saw the price online as $2199. I called, talked to Ingi, she mistakenly said $2100. I asked if she was sure because the website says $2199 and asked if they are having a special. I knew there was a different price online, documented, so I referred to the documention.

OakHill had two instances of price documentation, once on the website and in the confirmation, according to the buyer.

Edited by PKT1106

I don't see how that really matters. It is certainly well known NOW that it was a mistake, isn't it?

It is now known that it was a mistake, but not known when he wanted to purchase the item. It matters because sellers are responsible for the pricing being correct for the items they are trying to sell.

I'm sure the confirmation was an auto generated message just like most other websites use when an order is placed. We are not going to get anywhere on this. Some people just have a blurry view of what the right thing to do is in a given situation.

I'm sure the confirmation was an auto generated message just like most other websites use when an order is placed.

How do you know? We don't know.

We are not going to get anywhere on this. Some people just have a blurry view of what the right thing to do is in a given situation.

The right thing to do is for the seller honor the advertised price. What is "right" has nothing to do with it.

I'm sure the confirmation was an auto generated message just like most other websites use when an order is placed.

How do you know? We don't know.

We are not going to get anywhere on this. Some people just have a blurry view of what the right thing to do is in a given situation.

The right thing to do is for the seller honor the advertised price. What is "right" has nothing to do with it.

are we in dead horse kicking territory, yet? i've not seen a post that does anything to further the conversation past a "no, you are!" level discussion in quite a few.

It was a typo.

The buyer should have called to confirm the price before ordering. If a deal seems too good to be true it probably is.

I have actually had this happen before on an ammo purchase. I called to verify a price for 1K rounds and it turns out the price was for 500 rounds. They were so glad I called that I got the 1K rounds at cost and made a friend.

I have also dealt with Oak Hill numerous times and they are a great shop to deal with. My orders usually ship out the same day.

The buyer should have called to confirm the price before ordering. If a deal seems too good to be true it probably is.

So, you're blaming the buyer for an advertised price on a site that was vouched for by a few people on this very thread?