Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will a steady diet of 175 PF damage my limited

Nuke531

I am working up new loads for my limited with the Mec-gar mags, using tight group. I started off with a load of 4.6 gr. and col is 1.127 it gave me around 163 PF. I then tested a 4.7 load witch gave me 171 PF with average speed of 952 after 8 rounds accuracy was not the best. Then tried a load of 4.8 witch gave me 175 PF with average speed of 974 but shot nice small groups. All loads were 180 precision delta FMJ all col was 1.127. Felt recoil was not much different between the 4.7 and 4.8, will running a steady diet of 175 PF do any long term damage to my limited using the 10.75 lb recoil spring. I know I could change powders but I have 8 pounds of tight group and I like the powder. I could load a little longer but don’t want my rounds to start making contact in my Mec-gar mags, so what do the shooters out there say that have put a lot of rounds through there tanfoglio limited.

I don't think the Limited is a 50,000 round gun to begin with. It's a nice race gun that cost less than comparable pistols. Making it less expensive the manf made it out of softer steels. the locking lugs wear, the hammer/sear/trigger all wear out too. I've noticed my gun has accelerated wear after the 10k round mark. I just put a Henning trigger to help out, next will be the sear/hammer to correct the sloppyness. I don't know how long the lugs will last, maybe another 20-30k. I would say that the higher your PF the quicker it will wear out, as the speed of the slide unlocking and the heat buildup will be greater.

Nuke531,

With the small increase in power you are indicating I doubt that you will have any issues significantly earlier than you would anyway. Your delta in PF is less than 5. Would want to check where my brass was landing. If it was beyond 8 ft I would probably increase the recoil spring strength. Have one pistol a Gold cup purchased in 1978 that has well over 70,000 rounds and still makes it to the range. After 3 barrel and probably 5 spring sets the frame and slide are still doing just fine. The Tanfaglio design is much more modern and I suspect will last a good long time if it is maintained properly.

The other way of looking at your problem is that if the gun is not accurate it is of little use. If in making it accurate through slightly more powerful ammo it will be useful until it wears out. Go for it and keep them in the A-Zone (or what ever you are shooting for).

Respectfully,

JW

These guns are built to withstand the worst possible scenario from a caliber / power factor perspective. In the EAA Witness Limited the worst possible scenario caliber configuration is 10mm, which on average is 220 - 230 power factor. If you are only shooting 175 power factor ammo that is far below its designed maximum capabilities of the gun and should allow it to last many, many thousands of rounds.

You also have to put the cost of things into perspective. Today you can get an EAA Witness Limited for about $1000 - $1200 brand new. Even if you only shoot 50,000 rounds through the gun in a best case reloading scenario, which would be about 15 cents a round, that comes to $7,500 in ammo shot trough the gun. I think you could easily say that you got your "Moneys Worth" out of the gun at that point.

Nothing lasts forever. But I am sure that your EAA Witness Limited will allow you to shoot at least ten times the cost of the gun worth of ammo through it before its considered "Worn Out".

Edited by CHA-LEE

Thank you everyone for your input . I have replaced the hammer and sear with egw parts and I run the solid slide lock pin. My next mod will be a short flat trigger, if I can find one. I will be doing some welding on my mag release to get it to come across the grip. I had a mag drop from an older gun and it worked with the old 10mm mags, but with my new mags it locks up and will not drop mags. Well I am off to get ready for the Ohio Championship match this Sunday. 330 shooters with a total of 13 GM's and 4 in limited and its supposed to be a nice weekend.