Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unusual (to me) 550 primer issue

I have been having a problem that I have not read about. When sizing and de-priming on 550 the de-priming rod pushes the spent primer out. Then it appears the primer is attached to the rod and pulled/pushed back up into the case. The spent primer has an outward bend from the rod pressure. It is a frequent occurrence but it has no discernible pattern. I have used both CCI and Federal Match primers but after shooting all spent case end up in the same bucket, so I can't tell which is which. Any thoughts?

You might try removing the decapping pin and slightly chamfering the bottom edges on it with some fine sandpaper.

It doesn't take much, and should help to keep the spent primers from sticking to it and being drawn back up into the case.

Tom

I have not had this happen to me but I've read that you should file the tip of the decapping to a point. That will help so it does not stay attached.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck,

Marc

Just round off any sharp.square edges on the tip of the decap pin. We most often hear of this in 40 S&W, as the primer swells up quite tight into the primer pocket.The anvil gets wedged onto the tip of the pin due to the effort required to deprime the case.

Yeah this is old news. File the tip into a hypo point more or less without making a sharp point. The federals are the ones that are sticking. They are soft primers and they get hung up on the pin.

You have not read about it where? I hope you looked here because it's a pretty well discussed issue.

Good luck with the fix.

I guess I didn't use the proper search term, any way I appreciate the help. I took the least aggressive approach, lightly sanding the punch; it appears to work after several rounds of .38 cal. If I have more trouble, I'll get more aggressive with the tip and "hypo" the tip.

Thanks

Same problem here, even after sharpening the decapping pin. As stated by njl, it usually comes out the second try. One thing is, remover the case that has been charged with powder before trying to decap it the second time. You will have a double charge round, not good. You don't have to remove the bullets in the seater and crimper station as it will not affect them.

I had lots of issues with this when loading .40, but I just switched to a Lee die for that station. The Lee decapping pin is about .01" narrower, and that did the trick for me.