Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the difference in bullet shapes

Nimitz

As I'm getting samples from Missouri, Precision & Bayou to make up 9mm 125g loads to see what I want to go with long term I noticed some sell RN 125g 9mm and some offer FN & cone shaped bullets as well. Is there some real difference for when these bullet shapes are preferred to use?

As I'm getting samples from Missouri, Precision & Bayou to make up 9mm 125g loads to see what I want to go with long term I noticed some sell RN 125g 9mm and some offer FN & cone shaped bullets as well. Is there some real difference for when these bullet shapes are preferred to use?

some make nicer holes in paper and knock down plates better, i'm told. i think the FP's are better for competition. i've been using RN and been punching holes and hitting plates fine though.

Some guns are picking about bullet shapes feeding. I have known guys who could not get any hollow point to run when round nose bullets were fine. I run 121 IFP's from MG which are kind of cone shaped and if I try loading them too long they get dings and nicks in them from banging into stuff while chambering. Also if you are running full cases of a particular powder any of the FP bullets may not work because they have to be seated deeper in order for the shoulder to not contact the lands of the rifling when chambered. i.e I loaded MG 147's to 1.14 with no problems but could only go to about 1.10 with Precision moly 147's which are FP's.

I'll be loading 124g 9mm at minor PF for a Glock34 so it sounds like it may not make any real differenc RN vs FN ... I may experiment with 147g at some point as well ...

Flat nose punches a better hole in paper and sits better in the ammo box.

Round nose will prolly feed better if your gun is fussy and I'm sure it has a better ballistic coefficient (BC).

For the work most of us do at 20 yards or less I don't think it matters.

JHPs tend to be the most accurate bullets. Then, at least for me, are swaged/cast L-SWCs. Round nose, whether lead or jacketed, tend to feed well but are not quite as accurate. My two favorite bullets in 9x19 are 115 and 125gn L-SWCs--mostly 115gn L-SWC from Penn Bullets.

Currently, due to bullet pricing, I am shooting 124gn JHPs from Zero and Montana Gold. Very accurate bullets.

If you are looking for accuracy, go JHP or L-SWC. If you need flawless functioning, then a RN will probably be the best choice. The more conical nose shape has been a 9x19 staple for about 70 years.

Personally, after over 45 years of reloading, I have not found a single bullet that any of my guns won't feed reliably, IF I work out the proper COL for it--even the old Speer "flying ashtray" fed flawlessly in all my .45ACPs. The most I have ever needed to do was to polish the feed ramp on a BHP.

thx, what I'm looking for at the moment is for practice rounds so cost is important, that's why I'm switching from FMJ to lead. For matches I'll still shoot FMJs. Accuracy is relative since I shoot USPSA not bullseye. The A zone is pretty large and 30 yds is a long shot in our game ...

Edited by Nimitz

I'm using PD 124gr RN and I seem to be shooting pretty well with them. I've shot roughly 3k of these bullets and they're awesome. If you aren't shooting bullseye, and shooting at Perry, I don't think it really matters for USPSA. Find what works best in your gun!