Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Protecting Your Optic

GoinHot

I pulled out the rifle today after having shot in the club 3 gun a couple weeks ago. As I was looking things over I noticed the control knob on the left side of the optic - Burris MTAC - for turning on and off the red dot had been pretty much knocked off. I had not noticed it during the match since it was a sunny day and I had not needed the red dot. This obviously happened as I was abondoning the rifle during a stage and caught the knob on something.

My question is has anyone found something that works to protect dials on the side of their optic from being damaged as the gun is being placed into containers while shooting a stage.

I am thinking of coming up with something that can be attached on the scope mount to take the hit and protect the knob on the optic. Hopefully someone out there has a solution.

Thanks for your help !

I'm sorry that happened, but this is what I think about every time someone tells me to buy a $1800 3 gun scope. Burris has a good warranty but it sucks to have it gone for a while. At $400 you could add a second one that could go on a backup rifle. I can't imagine how you would protect one though.

I see shooters practically throw their guns in the abandonment barrels. It's kind of amazing to see them try to pick up that 1 second of stage time - that it would take to get the gun in the barrel without actually throwing it.

My thoughts are that 1 second (or even 2!) is worth it to not break something, to not have it bounce out and DQ, to not knock the zero off enough to cost an extra 10 rounds (10-15 seconds) on the long range stage, to not have the gun hit the bottom hard enough to knock the safety off and DQ, to not break something that is going to take 40 hours at work to earn enough money to replace what broke (after taxes).

Unless they have a handler that just gives them a new one.

• 3 weeks later...

Problem solved - found one of my old slide rackers, drilled it to fit into the scope mount. Now when putting th rifle into a container the scope knob on the left is protected.

One of the guys I shoot with saw it and made one out of hard plastic, how easy was that.

I'm sorry that happened, but this is what I think about every time someone tells me to buy a $1800 3 gun scope. Burris has a good warranty but it sucks to have it gone for a while. At $400 you could add a second one that could go on a backup rifle. I can't imagine how you would protect one though.

Never had an issue with my Swarovski but there really is not much to break off of it. Maybe the illumination switch if you hit it just right but not likely. I don't worry about it.

pat

Switch to Tac Limited and run an Aimpoint - I could probably "abandon" my rifle out of an airborne helicopter and still not lose zero :roflol:

I like this. But too many shooters don't practice abandoning or picking up their weapons. Don't just throw it.

Tell that to the guy that could have won the 2012 SMM3G had he not been DQ'd by his rifle falling out of the abandonment barrel on the last day of the match!

Mick

I see shooters practically throw their guns in the abandonment barrels. It's kind of amazing to see them try to pick up that 1 second of stage time - that it would take to get the gun in the barrel without actually throwing it.

My thoughts are that 1 second (or even 2!) is worth it to not break something, to not have it bounce out and DQ, to not knock the zero off enough to cost an extra 10 rounds (10-15 seconds) on the long range stage, to not have the gun hit the bottom hard enough to knock the safety off and DQ, to not break something that is going to take 40 hours at work to earn enough money to replace what broke (after taxes).

Unless they have a handler that just gives them a new one.

Problem solved - found one of my old slide rackers, drilled it to fit into the scope mount. Now when putting th rifle into a container the scope knob on the left is protected.

One of the guys I shoot with saw it and made one out of hard plastic, how easy was that.

Do you have a pic of that you could post?