Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Three Types Of Rules

Vince Pinto

Hi folks,

I guess I'm just airing my frustrations here, but it occurred to me that we essentially have three types of rules in IPSC:

Rules for Safe and Equitable Competition:

Probably the biggest chunk of the rulebook. We focus on safety and provide a reasonable amount of redundancy because, after all, we're human. We deal with scoring issues, so that exactly the same hole in the same target everywhere from Alaska to Zimbabwe is scored the same. We standardise range commands, so that people can travel all over the world and understand what's required of them, whether their native language is English, Spanish or Zulu. We provide guidance on Match Administration, such as a well-defined chain of command and a process to deal with disputes, eventhough they're a relatively small aspect of of our sport.

Rules for Gamers:

These are probably the most frustrating. No, you can't run up the side of the berm and shoot over the top of the barricade. No, you can't remove that branch on the tree because "it gives me hay fever". No, we can't demonstrate the swinger for you an extra 7 times because you haven't quite got it yet. No, you can't place an "X" on the ground to mark where you need to change mags. No, you don't get a reshoot because you forgot to put powder in a round. No, we can't keep testing rounds until you finally make Major. No, 125PF is not a goal - it's the absolute rock bottom we'll accept and we won't really love you unless you get 130PF. No, that's not a "perfect double". No, PP6 did not duck.

Rools for Fools:

These are rules which most of us don't need, but we've still got to deal with candidates for a "Darwin Award": No, if you drop your gun and catch it on the first bounce, you can't continue. No, you can't use those glasses regardless of what Woody Harrelson wore in "Natural Born Killers". No, even if you missed your little toe by "a good 6 inches", we're not satisfied your shot was intentional. No, you can't use kung-fu kicks to knock down a popper if you run out of ammo. No, a low wall is not part of the steeple chase - it means "No Entry". No, a telephone call from your Stock Broker is not grounds to abandon a competitor in progress while you're holding a timer.

However as sad as it is, we must deal with all of the above, just like our State & National lawmakers need to write stuff like "If you drive while half in the bag and kill someone, you win a free, all expenses paid trip to the Government Hotel".

OK, I've vented. I'll take my medication now - I gotta got write some more rules :wacko:

Vince my boy...You need some quality time at the shelter for battered RMI's!!! I think Dr. Mcmeanus will be making his rounds shortly. I also think that the medication you are taking should be administered professionally, as in your current state, you might think nothing of taking an overdose to relieve you of the pain that the latter two "types" you mention seem to be dispensing. As for additional rule writing, might I suggest that we create a "stupid" card that all members must carry to participate in our sport. You are allowed 3 "stupid" points before you are taken out back, shot, and made part of the berm on a range under construction (of course we'll name said range after you). Might I suggest this point breakdown:

1 point...for all offenses in "gamer" category

2 points...for all "idiot" offenses that couldn't lead to a fatality

3 points...for all offenses in "idiot" category that could lead to a fatality.

Should you recieve more than 3 points (2+2 or 1+3) we will throw in a free headstone. Call it a bonus if you will.

Rest quietly Vince...rest quietly.

Jeff

Vince ("Mr MakeAConstructiveProposal") is venting? Tstststs...

But, but, but Detlef ............ even rules guys need a hug sometimes B)

And Mini-Me, it's so nice to see you here. Hey, did I tell you about my new Nokia 6230 yet and how really cool it is? :ph34r:

Vince,

Sounds to me like you need about a half day at the range with,oh, say 300-500 rounds and a COF full of targets. Don't necessarily need anyone there who can even spell the word "rules" much less ask questions about them.

Although I don't post in the rules forum much, I read them all. I appreciate what you guys do even when I might think something was overlooked. (ok, I admit it, I may even think it's dumb :o but that's beside the point)

But thanks for the work.

dj

And by the way, aren't modern pharmacuticals great???

Rules for Gamers:

Vince,

while not wanting to interfer with your therapy, as a confirmed believer in gaming to the letter of the rules and in defense of true gamers everywhere :P , I think you ought differentiate (even in venting) between gaming in the spirit of the rule book and cheating by trying to ignore perfectly clear rules.

Some of your examples fall into the second catagory and that's cheating not gaming!

Gamers can be good people too B)B)B)

Kevin

[i think you ought differentiate (even in venting) between gaming in the spirit of the rule book and cheating by trying to ignore perfectly clear rules.

Some of your examples fall into the second catagory and that's cheating not gaming!

Gamers can be good people too B)B)B)

Kevin

It is easy to tell the difference between someone cheating on a stage and someone gaming a stage.

When the shooting is done, and the dust clears everyone is saying "Damn, Why didn't I think of that" when the gamer is done. Everyone is saying "WTF, You can't do that" when the cheater is done.

I actually like the first one, especially when it is a couple of shooters before me B)

Don't necessarily need anyone there who can even spell the word "rules" much less ask questions about them.

DJ, my only regret is that I couldn't write the word "Rools" with a backwards "R" like "Toys R Us" :P

Anyway, thanks to all of you for indulging me. It's guys just like you who make this sport the pleasure that it is for me.

PARTY ON!