Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mini 14

I have Ruger 5's and 20's and 6 US mags 30's and the all work fine. The quality of workmanship is about the same in my opinion. They are all stamped and welded steel. My mini runs no matter what, it doesn't care about ammo, hard, soft or military primers, light or hot loads, clean or dirty, it just shoots....it shoots a pattern not a group but it runs.

Steve...

The ones I hear the best things about are Ruger, PMI and Masen. And avoid USA's (but they seem to work for TMC).

[side note]TMC - is your Mini comp'd?[/]

Lots on PerfectUnion.com about them...

PMI's are made pretty well, my Masen's are all 10's so can't tell with those (don't seem as well made as the PMI's).

With PMI's in the $25-30 compared to Rugers @ $75-100.

Some people change the springs/followers to Rugers. And I've heard it depends on how old/new your mini is, some older ones have problems with some mags... Your best chance it is to borrow a couple from frinds, see what works best for you.

I've had pretty good luck with most 20 rd mags. The USA brand is very hit or miss. Most people have bad luck.

The PMI 30's were not very reliable out of the package but after cleaning/polishing and use they are 100%. The USA 30's are crap. Or at least all I've tried.

The PMI 40's are very hit or miss. But for 3 gun you need at least one.

My Mini is just a basic Ranch rifle I bought in 87. Its just for plinking.

Update on my 30rnd mags. 2 are USA's and 2 have no markings. They are heavier than the USA's and have holes on both sides, one at the top and one at the bottom, mystery mags. Judging by the wear these are the ones I've used most.

Todd, those sound like PMI's. if that little [technically speaking] deally (guide?) on the top/rear has 2 holes/spotwelds, it matches my PMIs and only my PMI's have top and bottom side holes.

Looking at mags looking at that top rear guide seems to be a good indicaiton of the quality of the mags.

Todd, those sound like PMI's. if that little [technically speaking] deally (guide?) on the top/rear has 2 holes/spotwelds, it matches my PMIs and only my PMI's have top and bottom side holes.

Looking at mags looking at that top rear guide seems to be a good indicaiton of the quality of the mags.

Yup, two holes in the mag catch thingy.

PMI mags have been good for me, after you clean the sandblast like grit from them. Solid mags.

USA , same old story as their AR mags, and any other mags not marked with any brand at all, most are junk.

I have heard Scherer made some Mini mags that were good, but have never seen one.

Travis F.

• 1 month later...

Found another source (at least for 20s, that is)

FOURFOURMAG Company

Harbor, Oregon, USA

www.FOURFOURMAG.com

1-877-894-3116

As to support for Ruger - I hear you. I never bought a S&W during that sad period when they were owned by Royal subjects (as in subject to the whim of the gov't). I did buy older S&W guns made before that time. Now that they are back in US hands, I did buy a used 340PD - even though it has that stupid internal lock - though I wish that S&W would finally tear up the agreement they attempted to make with Mr. "can't keep it in my pants"

Now that the AWB is dead, I'd just buy the Ruger factory 30 rounders.

Ruger has a long history of voluntarily refusing to sell civilians equipment that the liberals did not like, even when it was perfectly legal for them to do so and such equipment (large mags, etc) was in their LEO product list. In fact, their official spokesman at the time stated that no honest man needs a mag greater than 10 rounds.

So, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Ruger 30 round Mini14 mags to hit the market.

"Ruger has a long history of voluntarily refusing to sell civilians equipment that the liberals did not like, even when it was perfectly legal for them to do so and such equipment (large mags, etc) was in their LEO product list. In fact, their official spokesman at the time stated that no honest man needs a mag greater than 10 rounds. So, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Ruger 30 round Mini14 mags to hit the market."

If that is correct - even for the mini-14 only, then I will NEVER buy another Ruger product, EVER, and will encourage the store where I help out to DROP THEIR PRODUCT LINE COMPLETELY! Ruger: are you listening?

The Thermold 30's work very well in the Mini 14. Thet rub the bolt (like the Ar Thermolds do) when new but are perfect after break in. Thet are tough to find these days. Look for the small hole in the top front of the mag to easily distinguish them from AR mags.