Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any downfalls to new shooter in major

I haven't chrono'd my load but I estimate I am at about 162PF or pretty close to it. I am shooting a Glock 22, 155 Grain over 9.5 gr of Blue dot. I am happy with the accuracy so far, but my speed is still (much) slower than I would like. As a new shooter do you all recommend I shoot this or download it a bit to help with speed? On a 5 plate steel target stage, some good shooters were in the high 4's (seconds) and I clocked in about mid 8's.

It is challenging when the blasters next to me are so much faster. Being so new to the games, I am not real competitive but I just want to shoot faster/better for myself first. Long term, is it best to just stay at this PF? I will also shoot a 1911 in CDP class...

well i guess what i am saying is if i am just a few PF below major i could bump it up since I am so close. On my 1911 for IDPA, I believe i would always be in major, right??

if you shoot CDP, then yes, you are always required to be shooting major pf, and if you chrono below that you don't get scored. Shooting uspsa singlestack, you *could* shoot minor, but I can't think of any reason you would want to unless you were shooting 9mm and could take advantage of the extra rounds.

I would probably just go ahead and bump up the load slightly to make major pf reliably and shoot that, since that's what the gun is designed for and you appear to like that gun. I don't think it will hamper your learning.

Thank you sir. Do you know of the general percentages of major vs minor shooters? My wild guess would be 1 in 3 shooters are in major power factor but I have no real evidence of this.

my guess would be more like 7 out of 10 are Major

The real issue I see with Major / minor & new shooter is = How good of a foundation are you building ? What ever load lets you learn to see -Really See- what is happening with each shot.

I have hot dog shooters quite off ten be surprised at how much I see when I shoot. I am not very fast on the trigger but my eyes pick up fast. I know the thrill of seeing a bullet fly past a target touching the edge of the plate.

Not every day & not every target, but its there for the seeing ,if your loads don't distract you a lot

Edited by AlamoShooter

I'm a firm believer in "train how you play." If you run faster and jump higher in practice, you'll run faster and jump higher in competition.

If you intend to shoot major, practice with major. Otherwise, you'll need to relearn recoil management and sight tracking all over again when you move back to major. As far as CDP is concerned, there is no minor. There is making better than 165 and there is shooting for no score.

Finally, don't use 165 as your PF goal. That is the MINIMUM. You might want to consider using 170-172 as your base to allow for temp variations, chrono calibration, altitude, etc. I'm pretty sure there are more than a couple people on this forum that can tell stories about chrono variations.

Mac

dont know anything about IDPA, but for USPSA Limited/L10 I definitely suggest major pf. I think you bleed off too much points on partial targets/swingers/turners/etc at minor pf and I think you have to be really fast to make up for the difference in points between major/minor.

there must be alot of muzzle flip shooting 155's at major/close to major pf out of a G22. I suggest switching to 180's; you can use less powder for reduced recoil and still make major handily. a fast burning powder like Titegroup or N320 will have reduced recoil also. you get used to major pf pretty quick, and in a pinch any factory 180 grain load will easily make major, though at about 180pf unless you're shooting stuff optimized for this game like Atlanta Arms/Hornady steelmatch etc.

I do not know how Blue Dot performs as a powder. That said we ran some rounds across the Chrono this last week. I was checking my Universal load for PF and several other shooters were checking their loads for PF. One shooter was checking a load in his gun but wanted to know how it would perform in his G35 which he did not have with. So I shot it out of my 35 to compare FPS. He was loading Tite Group and I did not like the feel of it. It was snappier than my Universal load while having a slower fps.

So bump your load enough to get around a 170 PF average, and if needed make changes to the guns springs or the powder used to find one that feels comfortable to shoot. If you cannot find comfort that way then try bumping your bullet weight up to 180 to 185.

Thanks guys for the great feedback. I think sticking with major (170+) would be the best bet. Spend more time to make sure the foundation is correct though.

Major seems to resemble more real life scenarios anyways.

I believe you are right about excessive flip with the 155's. I wanted the 180's but Cabela's only had the 155's and since it was my first batch of reloads, I went with them. I am also changing powder to W231 (already bought it) so that should help as well. I think you guys have me on the right track.

I do not know how Blue Dot performs as a powder. That said we ran some rounds across the Chrono this last week. I was checking my Universal load for PF and several other shooters were checking their loads for PF. One shooter was checking a load in his gun but wanted to know how it would perform in his G35 which he did not have with. So I shot it out of my 35 to compare FPS. He was loading Tite Group and I did not like the feel of it. It was snappier than my Universal load while having a slower fps.

It is amazing that a powder can have that much of an effect when the FPS is lower. Did the bullet weigh the same?

Edited by master3laster

What USPSA division are you shooting?

If you are shooting Production then there is no scoring advantage to shooting hot ammo because everyone gets scored minor no matter what.

If you are shooting Limited or Limited 10 it's worth it for the extra points you get.