Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun noob help?

So a buddy of mine has finally talked me into getting into the local 3-gun match. It's not sanctioned and follows most (if not all) of USPSA's standard 3-gun rules. One area that's different is due to the ranges rules, the rifle portion of all courses must be rifles of .22 or pistol caliber type.

Here's my dilemma- I know jack about 3-gun with regards to the shotgun side of the house. Ive shot many shotguns in my life, but never like this. I honestly don't even know what would be a good scattergun to get for a beginner. So, I'm pulling in all resources and asking those who DO know. What do you all think would be a good "starter" shot gun for me to get into this sport? Opinions on ammo is also greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that the match (or others like it local to me) would be the only time the shotgun would see use, and I would LOVE to stay under a $700 wife approved budget. Thank in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

Mossberg 930 is what Im thinking about buying for autoloader. Had a Benelli M2 before, but I don't have the $1k right now and dont shoot that much. If you don't care, just get a Rem 870 pump.

Take your $700 wife-approved budget and add another $450 from your secret squirrel fund (all married men have the secret squirrel fund, right?) and get yourself a Benelli M1 or M2.

You'll never look back.

OR

You could do what I did and screw around with lesser shotguns for several years. You could be like me and try to get away with an "entry level" shotgun while putting up with failures in both local and major matches, sinking way too much money and time into the lesser shotguns trying to make them run 100%, and finally hitting the frustration level where I finally bought a Benelli anyway.

EDIT - plus they hold their value really well, so if you decide 3-gun isn't your game, you can still get most of your money back with little trouble. Sorta like buying a Toyota.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

If your only going to shoot your local matches, buy a used pump gun to run for a while. Shoot some matches, see what other guys have, talk to them about what they like and dislike about their guns, see if you handle some of them, then make your investment.

Edited by stein

SNIP... Sorta like buying a Toyota.

Didn't those have a bunch of recalls :devil:

Seriously, the "supposed" Cadillac is the Versa-Max (twice your budget). The FN SLP and Benelli M2 both have some good features, depending on what appeals to you more ($1000 or so). The Mossy JM930s for $575 or so are the bargain leader right now and they only need a few cheap tweaks to make them a tad more ergonmic. The sleeper is the CZ712, but it is rougher than the 930s and needs a bit more work. By the time you add the parts, it will be more than a JM. Long term durability of the Versa-Max is unknown. The SLPs and Benellis are easily 30K round plus shotguns. The JM and CZ712 are still unknown, but I am not going to bet on a significnat number outliving the M2s or SLPs. Can't in good conscience recomend any thing else.

Mark, in your experience.....would $350 for a ANIB CZ 18"bbl be a fair deal?

What model has an 18" barrel? I know about the 20" to 28" versions...

Under $400 for the Utility is not bad.

Yeah, I'm also on the 930 JM shotgun. I have run about 400 through mine so far and not a problem. It fits perfectly in your price range but it is still unproven. The M2 is definitely out but I got mine off of Gunbroker for just slightly over your budget...but then I put a bunch into after that.

Trying to find a used SLP is a great idea but I waited for months and still didn't find one. They do come up but it's rear...

I'd jump on the "JM", that said, I have an Akdal/Firebird and the "JM" 22". The Akdal limits me to open class. With the 22" "JM" I've already bought a 28" ported barrel and the Nordac + 8 tube and spring.... I can now shoot 2 classes with one gun. (My skill level??? is in the lower half of the class, no matter what I shoot). I did buy the 24 RD. Mark Otto belt, it works !. (You won't see any vidieos of me loading 8 rounds in 4 seconds on You Tube cause I can't do it!). In the long run, I think the Akdal platform will be a good choise, once the mags/drums are out. Even though I'm not a "top" shooter... eyesight and old age make "open" class almost manditory for me .... but then that's me not you...I've put 1000 rounds thru the "JM", tried every "load" I could buy, .... It's a runner... Mike

I shoot with a guy that bought the 930 SPX right when they came out, must be almost 2 years ago now, and he hasn't had any problems with it. Must have shot 1000-1500 rounds by now. It has ripped the hulls of a few shells but I think that was an ammunition related problems as he shoots whatever wally world has on sale.

I bought a used SLP for $800 24-30 months ago, you just have to look hard.