Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 625 JM trigger job problems

Spray_N_Prey

Well about 3 - 4 years ago, I got into revolver shooting for a short period of time and really enjoyed it. I sent my revolvers off to have some work on the trigger done and a bobbed hammer. It was working great for around 5 months and then I started having light primer strikes. I was using Federal primers and having problems. At first, it was maybe once or twice in a USPSA match, then it started getting worse and got to the point that 3 out of 6 wouldn't go bang. I called the original smith and he made a few suggestions to try and I did and still was having problems. Also when dry firing it seems the hammer is binding on something and you can feel this "drag" somewhere in the trigger.

WHere I am at now is for the last 2+ years it's been sitting in the safe and I have gone away from revolver. I would like to get back into it but need a functioning gun. Who would be a good smith that is recommended?

THanks,

Shawn G.

Why not send it back to the smith that did the orignal work? Not saying that he did anything wrong, just give him a chance to look at it. If what is wrong was his fault, give him the chance to fix it. If it's not anything associated w/him, he probably can get it running again. Either way, both of you win.

From what i've heard, the original smith isn't doing this right now. I haven't contacted him directly, but heard he was focusing on his full time job and kinda put this on the backburner, or I would have contacted him.

Well mine had that issue. I was told to take out the. spring and trace its outline on paper, then lay the spring on the table and push slightly in the center of the arch with my finger.... Took care of the problem.

Check to see if the you've developed cylinder endshake. That would explain why the problem developed over time. It could also explain the drag if it's bad enough for the cylinder to contact the barrel.

Bring it by an I will look at it and see if i can fix it. if you want I can take it to the irc and have some of the best revolversmiths and shooters fix it.

let me know

dave

You have an excellent revolver and should expect top performance. User maintenance does go beyond just cleaning. Consider keeping the gun flat, removing the grip and side plate and verify its not crudded up? If so then spray with Break Free, wipe and repeat until clean. There is little need to disassemble.

1) Is your main spring tension screw loose? if so tighten it and add blue lock tite to it.

2) are your moonclips perfectly flat? Otherwise some rubbing may occur as well as some FTF

3) use soft Federal Primers only

4) I use an Apex competition extended firing pin in all my smiths:

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid2.html

If you may be uncomfortable with this then get it into the hands of a professional, full time, gunsmith who has revolver experience. It should be a simple, inexpensive fix.

Good shooting

If the trigger feels like it is stacking, gets heavier, at the end of the stroke it could be not enough arch in the mainspring. A longer strain screw would most likely fix it. Severe cases of the mainspring not being arched can lead to the mainspring knuckling and and actually freezing the action at the end of the stroke.

However if you feel a drag or hitch in the trigger stroke, are getting light strikes and the longer strain screw doesn't help. You may need to pull the side plate off and check it for broken pins. I've had the hammer pin and trigger pins break on various Smith Revolvers and they can cause some weird pulls.

To check the pins just put the tip of your finger on them and see if they wiggle. They will bend if you put too much pressure on them, but they shouldn't wiggle around.

If you have an extended length firing pin from either Apex or Cylinder & Slide installedin your gun, you should not be experiencing any problems using fully seated Federal primers.

The same symptoms suddenly showed up on an old revolver of mine.

It turned out to be a combination of dirt on the innards and too tight side plate screws.

Both were causing friction or binding of parts against the inside of the side plate.

A good cleaning and not tightening the plate screws quite so much seems to have cured it.

Edited by g.willikers

Well mine had that issue. I was told to take out the. spring and trace its outline on paper, then lay the spring on the table and push slightly in the center of the arch with my finger.... Took care of the problem.

Did you try this? I don't know if we had the same gunsmith but if the method was to bend the factory spring to lighten the trigger then all it needs is a little de-arching. if your gun wasn't done by this method it is time to replace the mainspring.