Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The timer don't lie

leas327

I have managed to work through the keg of Unique I bought. I went to the lgs and bought a few different powders and have worked up loads with each. I don't really just want to go off of feel and would like to know some drills I can run on a timer to help me decide which is fastest for me.

In my mind I would think a plate rack, and something like El Prez would work.

Any suggestions?

+1 on the bill drill. It's going to give you the best idea of what the changes in recoil is actually doing to your aim. You may find out that a faster snap might not be as level, but it gets your sights back on target faster. I've seen this go both ways in different guns (example CZ vs Glock) at least for me.

Your eyes are more important than the timer. fast is good but seeing what is happening during and after the shot is more important. more important in my mind any way.

I don't have the fast skill that so many others do, I keep up with the pack by having good transitions and knowing my shot placement on the targets.

I have not shot much open hand gun the past few years , but when I did it was very rare that I had to walk down range to check my targets with an RO.

The Question is what do you see as the shot develops after the bullet leaves

I could be wrong though

Your eyes are more important than the timer. fast is good but seeing what is happening during and after the shot is more important. more important in my mind any way.

If your eyes are seeing what they need to see, the timer will show it assuming same hits.