Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fitting those ugly Swenson safeties.

Julien Boit

I just finished the fitting of a Swenson safety, I've never seen anything ugliest coming out of the box !

They are rough, badly sand blasted, and are oversize from EVERYWHERE !

This is the third safety I fit, I won't do it anymore !

I killed my previous Dremel on one of them

I finished the fitting in about two hours, Now I have two or three more hours to make it look good (finishing).

I think if I cutted my thumb to avoid it to slow the slide , it wouldhave been less painful and faster

DVC

Julien

Yikes!  ...and I was considering buying a set.  

Julien,

Have you tried brazing/welding paddles onto a standard safety?  I want the paddle safety too, but not if I have to go through all that.  

E

I just went through the same deal.  I had my previous safeties fit by my gunsmith.  After spending probably 5-6 hours hacking, filing, and dremeling I had it working in the gun.  It still doesn't look good and needs some exterior comfort work done.  I heard that the quality has gone down hill the past few years.... originally there wasn't that much work and they had a nice finish.  

Julien,

I think I just might give it a whirl.  I've got an extra set of safeties, that I might work up.  My welding ability is non-existent, so I'll have to find some outside talent.  

Anybody know what the stock STI stainless safeties are made out of?  Can I assume 420SS?

E

Quote: from tightloop on 1:53 pm on Aug. 21, 2002

Can either of you spell PISTOLSMITH?

Uh...

P-I-S-S-Y-S-M-I-T-H

no....

P-U-S-S-Y-S-M-I-T-H

no...

Aw, hell, I'll just grind off those precious BoMars with my Dremel and put *real* sights on the gun.  

----------------

Julien,

Ahh...silver solder.  Now we're talkin'.  

BTW- Have you and/or Jerome got that blaster nitrided yet?  You have to post a picture!

E

Just buy a set of King's ambis. They're well made, nicely finished, available in blued or stainless, and you don't need modified grips to hold the off-side lever in - a system I've never liked since it lets the rear of the lever work out from the side of the gun and abrade your hand. I've also, on two occasions, seen people using this system go to pick their gun up off a table start, and the off-side lever fell out of the gun! The King's off-side lever is held in place through having a slot in the lever fit over a corresponding slot in a lengthened hammer pin. It holds the lever close and securely to the side of the frame. Really the only ambis I'll have on one of my guns.

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 4:24 pm on Aug. 22, 2002)

DT -

Do the King's have the thumb guards?  I think that's why Julien went to the agony of hacking his up, er...fitting them.  I really want a set with the guards as I actually get blisters from the slide on my SV.

E

(Edited by EricW at 5:58 pm on Aug. 22, 2002)

The new Swenson safeties are made by someone else.  The original Swenson's were graceful, well made, easy to install and well finished.  I am with Duane, go with the King unit.  Oh, BTW,  you still did not spell PISTOLSMITH correctly, and I will be the one with the good looking pistol, not the one with the Dremel rash all over it.

My STI is one ugly mother and I am PROUD of it: rust, scratches, worn off bluing and all.  ....just cant wait 'til I hack the crap out of my BoMars and BBQ paint 'em and paint the bed-liner goo on the grips, and...

E

Duane, you have King's on your pistol ?

I tried to fit one on a STI frame, and I couldn't.

In fact I could have but I did not wanted to remove too much material from those fine safeties, after they would looked ugly too

P-I-S-T-O-L-S-M-Y-T-H , right ?

BTW, I wont have my blaster coated such as Jerome,

I have Good Taste

LOL Jerome

DVC

Julien