Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun rifle options

I am looking to get into 3-gun competition and was wondering, Are there any good options for a rifle that are cheaper than an AR? Also, am I better off getting a mossberg 930 or a good pumpgun ie remington 870 or a supernova?

Edited by Ngumm327

Like Kyle said, other options yes are they the best idea probably not. if you motivation is financial I would find the cheapest AR you can find and go with that, you can always upgrade the parts you want later (its nice that they are like logo's) if your motivation is wanting to be unique then that's a whole different can of worms but unless its a AK it wont end up costing less.

Mike

you will want a semi-automatic shotgun of some sort.

unless of course you want to shoot He-Man/Heavy Metal, which is typically a .308 Winchester semi-auto rifle, a pump shotgun, and usually a .45 ACP chambered pistol.

Like Kyle said, other options yes are they the best idea probably not. if you motivation is financial I would find the cheapest AR you can find and go with that, you can always upgrade the parts you want later (its nice that they are like logo's) if your motivation is wanting to be unique then that's a whole different can of worms but unless its a AK it wont end up costing less.

Mike

Are there many AK's used in 3-gun?

Mike

Are there many AK's used in 3-gun?

Nope. Personally, I've never seen one in real life, just on the internet. And the people I saw on the internet with AK, when I saw them in real life, had an AR. :cheers:

I am looking into 3-gun competition and wondering, Are there any good options for a rifle that are cheaper than an AR?

Ngumm, I'm looking to get "into multigun" also, so I have NO practical

experience at all - in same spot You are :rolleyes:

Two things I haven't seen in the responses are:

1. how far are you planning on shooting the gun? My local

multigun matches, that I've seen so far, are pretty

close. That means you don't need any particular rifle

or scope for them - cheap is fine from what I've seen

locally.

2. depends on how far you plan to go in the sport - if you

plan to get heavily into it - go to regional and nat'l

matches, you need a good AR and a good scope.

But, just staying local, and having fun- anything will work,

from what I've seen.

But, I got a super price on an AR - going to try three different

scopes I have lying around, and give it a try :cheers:

I am looking into 3-gun competition and wondering, Are there any good options for a rifle that are cheaper than an AR?

Ngumm, I'm looking to get "into multigun" also, so I have NO practical

experience at all - in same spot You are :rolleyes:

Two things I haven't seen in the responses are:

1. how far are you planning on shooting the gun? My local

multigun matches, that I've seen so far, are pretty

close. That means you don't need any particular rifle

or scope for them - cheap is fine from what I've seen

locally.

2. depends on how far you plan to go in the sport - if you

plan to get heavily into it - go to regional and nat'l

matches, you need a good AR and a good scope.

But, just staying local, and having fun- anything will work,

from what I've seen.

But, I got a super price on an AR - going to try three different

scopes I have lying around, and give it a try :cheers:

This^

My first year of 3gun, was a stock bushmaster AR-(M4 carbine) iron sights, sig p229, and a pump 870....what I had.

I went from there.

What Kyle O says is great. The info about DPMS is all well and good, but out of stock is no good. I would go to some local stores, see what they have, buy an AR you like-the cost will pale in comparison to the amount of ammo you will shoot to get good with it. A Remington Tac4 semi auto shotgun is a great out of the box gun for 3Gun around 800. Or get your guns from GunBroker or GunsAmerica. A Glock 17 or 34 will do for the pistol. Ammo is the big cost. Except for travel. I have a semi-auto AK-it can be used for 3 Gun-they are ballistically challenged beyond 225 yds or so. If you already own guns, just shoot with them. You will find what you need or want pretty quickly. About 2000.00 will get you started with the guns.

At the multigun nationals this year there was 1 AK it was chambered in 223 and shot in limited with a dot sight. The shooter did say it ran when he saw several AR's puke from dust. You can shoot this game with a pump shot gun, an auto would be better but the pump will work I run a pump because I am cheap. . (for me one of my highest placing stages at the nationals was all shotgun with a pump) the biggest thing is a shotgun that holds enough ammo 8+1 for tac optics or limited or heavy metal.

Mike

Rifle, stay AR, DPMS Oracle is a decent choice for on the cheap (if you can find one). Throw in a Millet 1-4 and you are in for under $1K. One thing to watch for on ARs from less reputable places is, you can buy stripped lowers with a lot of brand names on them and build them up however cheap you can and it's hard to tell the difference. You can build an AR for pretty cheap, but do your research before you buy a kit and buy soon, backorders are getting longer.

Shotgun, an 870 can do whatever you want it to. They are everywhere and one of the best shotgun values on the market IMHO! One thing is though, a lot of pump shotguns you may be looking at are 18" cylinder bore. It may not knock targets over if they are out a ways. Mossy 500 series are decent to great depending on who you talk to, but make sure you can put an extension on it. The Benelli Nova gets lots of love from heavy metal guys as well and about the same as an 870 price wise. If you can split for a semi auto, you will probably be happier. The Mossberg 930 series has been getting a lot of attention on here lately, check out the Shotgun Technical forum. Another option even less than the 930 is the CZ semi auto (I can't remember the model) from some of the stuff I have read here they are less than $400 add $50-$70 for an extension and you are ready to rock.

About $2,000-$2500 should get you started, look for bargains, If you have a pistol (and associated gear) you may be able to get started for $1500ish. Just don't forget rifle magazines and maybe a pouch and shell caddies or something. The new load2 or Twins systems look like the ticket, a bit more than traditional caddies, but worth it :D .

ETA: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=151729&pid=1700425&st=0entry1700425

Edited by shooting for M