Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A slacker's guide to dry fire

I'm a lowly middle-B limited shooter, and over the last year I seemed to have reached a development plateau - I needed a boost. I've been through a couple of two-day “lots-of-shooting” classes with famous trainers, and dryfire lessons looked interesting. Steve had posted his availability on this forum – offering dryfire “tune ups” at very reasonable cost, and the drive from my home in Kentucky would be a modest road trip. I opted for a full Saturday.

This was a few months ago, and I've been a slacker. I initially did do 30 minutes a day per Steve's prescription - for about 3 weeks, now I'm only doing it sporadically.

BUT I'm here to tell you, (and nobody was more surprised than me) it works. Just this little bit, after a couple of months has made a noticeable difference. My draw was faster when I left Steve's basement; but my splits are now faster, and I recently shot some match stages with hit factors never before achieved.

I'm a believer!

Now if I can just repent from slackerdom and do more dry-fire!

I'm a lowly middle-B limited shooter, and over the last year I seemed to have reached a development plateau - I needed a boost. I've been through a couple of two-day “lots-of-shooting” classes with famous trainers, and dryfire lessons looked interesting. Steve had posted his availability on this forum – offering dryfire “tune ups” at very reasonable cost, and the drive from my home in Kentucky would be a modest road trip. I opted for a full Saturday.

This was a few months ago, and I've been a slacker. I initially did do 30 minutes a day per Steve's prescription - for about 3 weeks, now I'm only doing it sporadically.

BUT I'm here to tell you, (and nobody was more surprised than me) it works. Just this little bit, after a couple of months has made a noticeable difference. My draw was faster when I left Steve's basement; but my splits are now faster, and I recently shot some match stages with hit factors never before achieved.

I'm a believer!

Now if I can just repent from slackerdom and do more dry-fire!

I just got finished reading your article in Front Sight not two minutes ago... strange coincidence. Nice write up by the way. I too am a believer in Steve's dry fire program.

I just got finished reading your article in Front Sight not two minutes ago... strange coincidence. Nice write up by the way. I too am a believer in Steve's dry fire program.

......so did I. Got me thinking about my practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The best thing to do is to set a schedule and just do it.

As i have stated many times, your biggest breakthroughs will come on the days you don't want to be practicing. Reluctant practice carries a different mindset for some reason. Like you're just observing and not trying so damn hard...

Nice article. Who else has a drumset in the dry fire dojo? :)

Yeah, I'm going to make a commitment to practice on some sort of schedule. I think the problem in the past is that I had no direction as to what to practice. I just ordered some guy's book on some drills. we will see...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i thought your story sounded familiar. Front Sight! i read that too, and it got me wishing that my brother would get done with Steve Anderson's book so I can borrow it.

I used to dry fire at the wall just to see sight movement and practice trigger control. It wasn't until I glanced at Steve's book that I realized what people actually mean when they say "dry fire practice." I had no idea pressing a non-reset trigger at pieces of paper would help very much. As a low B, your article definitely got me thinking.