Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trigger finger

Malfunction

I typically shoot my 1911 thumbs toward the target, this sometimes causes my trigger finger to catch on my weak hand thumb, not good. I recently saw a picture of Matt Burkett in his shooting stance and he seemed to be pulling with just the forward part of his finger, anyone have any input or is this just one of those personal quirks we all have. Thanks to one and all, you have improved my shooting and even more important made me think.

Bill

Mal,

Where on your finger does it rest on the trigger? If more than the first joint of your trigger finger is on the tigger, then you might want to think about thicker grips, etc. so that only the first pad/joint is on the trigger.

My fingers are verrry long, so I had Jim Shanahan of APS build up the right side of my SV grip so that it pushes my trigger finger out so that only the pad/1st joint of the finger hits the trigger.

When I am doing slow target shooting, I definitely position the soft end pad of the trigger finger on the middle of the trigger. Almost none of the finger protrudes from the left side of the guard. This provides for the most exact backwards pull.

But, for IPSC, I find that my finger is happier when it is a bit further into the guard, the groove of the first joint touching the right edge of the trigger. Some of the tip protrudes to the left, but my thumbs are further back and so there is no risk of interference. I think that I prefer this finger position because it is quicker for the finger to find this place and the difference in accuracy for 99% of IPSC targets is not significant.

Maybe you have very long thumbs or your grip is skewed a bit to one side of the gun...

Regards

Peter

I believe there's no "right way" to place your finger on the trigger. Put in on the trigger in such a way that when you pull the trigger, it doesn't disturb the sights. If I had problems with the trigger finger grazing my thumb, I'd look to adjust my thumb before messing with the trigger finger.

Possibly you could put your weak thumb on top of your strong thumb, and get it higher and out of the way. This is what I Have to do with my tiny-gripped Kahr P-9.

Getting thicker grips is a reasonable equipment solution to the problem.

As long as you always keep the fundamentals at the forefront--being able to pull the trigger without disturbing the alignment of the sights--you'll be fine with whatever you do to solve the problem.

DogmaDog

I get the best results accuracy-wise when I used the end of the pad of my trigger finger. The closer I get to the first joint, the worse it gets because my fingers are too short to press the trigger directly backward.

When I consciously think about it, I use the end of the finger ... when I am going a little faster, I forget and I just go with wherever my finger hits.

I believe there's no "right way" to place your finger on the trigger. Put in on the trigger in such a way that when you pull the trigger, it doesn't disturb the sights.

Bingo.

It also depends on the gun. If you shoot a DA revolver with a 7 - 8# pull, you will shoot better with the first joint on the trigger for increased leverage and stability of finger position.

On comp autos with light triggers, find the comfortable spot that gives the best results (on the pad is usually best, not a law). Practice the one your finger finds naturally because under the heat of shooting, that's where your finger will end up.

If you are changeing your finger position, a trick that helped me when I switched from production to limited, is to use a bandade on your trigger finger. I used the first joint on the double action, but when I switched guns, I also switched finger positions. I used two bandades to remind myself for a while, one on each side of where I wanted the trigger to be.