Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder measure body, powder bar with rubber band

I noticed on the Dillon's website, on the XL 650 Quick Change Kit (picture) that there are 2 pieces of what I think are rubber bands attached to the powder measure body and to the powder bar. Is this something new that Dillon added recently? Because I don't remember seeing these parts when I received my 650 last year. I can see that these will help in getting the powder bar return quickly. I'm going to check my spare parts kit if they have these if not I will be using regular rubber bands.

thanks,

Those are springs, and they are the old way that the powder used to return back into position. The current method depends completely on the mechanical linkage as you move the lever.

Some people modify their presses to go with the old style for a "quieter" loading experience without the "ka-chunk" sounds each time the bell crank goes by.

I don't see what benefit you'll get with the powder bar returning more quickly.

Some say you get better consistency and it's safer. I use the old type and find great consistency and feel quite safe, as well as it being smoother and quieter. Besides I don't think they even send the old type anymore. YMMV

There are two ways to use the old style spring return powder measure:

a. with the positive return rod installed (it's the rod that goes from the powder measure bell crank to the bracket on the shell plate to ensure the power measure bar returns and doesn't stick).

b. without the positive return rod.

If you don't run the positive return rod (I think it is actually called a fail-safe rod or something like that), then there is a chance of making squib rounds (primer only, no powder) if the powder measure bar doesn't return. Using the positive return rod eliminates that possibility, or at least will give you an indication if the powder bar binds as you will feel the difference when you crank the handle (I've experienced this with varget).

I don't have any of the new ones, but have a couple of the old spring return style and I like them.

Edited by Bamboo

The rubber band is there merely to prevent damage to the measure during shipping.Remove it before use.

I believe the OP was refering to the picture on your web site showing the old powder measure with springs. :)

The rubber band is there merely to prevent damage to the measure during shipping.Remove it before use.

I believe the OP was refering to the picture on your web site showing the old powder measure with springs. :)

yup, I was referring to the springs. I was going to order a Quick Change Kit on the web site and noticed that. I didn't know that was the old type.

The fail safe system works very well for me and haven't had any squib loads so far since I started using the 650 and I'll stick with it.

Thank you for all the replies.

I run the old style with the springs and the failsafe rod, and on the newer style powder measures, I added rubber bands ( I had no springs) where the springs would go. I want that powder bar to damn sure move back, every single time.